Author Topic: Minn Kota Terrova Steering Issues  (Read 1499 times)

Offline addicted

• IceShanty Rookie
Minn Kota Terrova Steering Issues
« on: Sep 28, 2020, 01:11 PM »
 During my last trip out before getting the boat put away and thinking about ice fishing, my Terrova suddenly quit turning. Of course it is one year out of warranty so I started doing some research. I could still hear the steering motor working when trying to turn so I thought maybe there was a broken gear in the steering housing. After tearing in to it, I noticed that the small gear on the turning motor was missing and I found it buried in grease inside the housing. I put the gear back on and it works again. after talking to Minn Kota, there is nothing that holds the gear on, other than gravity, and they recommend just replacing the entire steering housing, as their techs don't even dig into the housing to see what is wrong, they just replace the housing at a cost of $150 plus labor. Seems odd that with the cost of these motors, a gear can just fall off and render the motor pretty much useless. Of course Minn Kota was less than helpful since my warranty was up last year but I wanted to post this in case someone else has this issue with their Terrova and I know there have been issues with their steering housings. It's relatively simple to replace parts inside the steering housing and can save a lot of money at the same time. Cheers
That's why is called "fishing" and not "catching".

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Minn Kota Terrova Steering Issues
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2020, 01:57 PM »
I had to replace a steering unit on a V2 PowerDrive a coupla years ago for a very different reason. It was easy enough but $100 for the part(s).

Since you've already been inside is there a possibility you could modify your unit with something to retain that gear? Two options that come to mind would be an appropriately sized shaft collar if it wouldn't interfere with proper operation or if you could turn a recess in the shaft to accept an external snap ring. Seems odd it could just "fall off" unless you had the motor off the boat and, say, turned it upside down.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline addicted

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2020, 06:27 PM »
That was my first thought as well, but theres not enough room on the shaft to put anything on it. Not sure how the gear worked its way off, but it sure did. Seems like a poor design to me and Minn Kota support couldn't tell me why it did or how to prevent it in the future.
That's why is called "fishing" and not "catching".

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Are you ice fishing from your boat?
jbird68

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2020, 05:35 PM »
Are you ice fishing from your boat?

Shoulda been catchin' 12-14" crappies with me last year in July...  :whistle: ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.