Author Topic: Helix 7 Thoughts  (Read 3676 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Helix 7 Thoughts
« on: Sep 20, 2020, 07:57 PM »
Bought a boat this summer and I知 looking to upgrade from the eagle 320 fish finder that came with it. Looking at the helix since it is so easy to switch between the boat and then use as my spare unit for ice fishing. Ive seen a few YouTube videos but I知 interested to know what some of this groups thoughts of them are. I am really curious about how responsive they are in flasher mode and if there is any lag. Like i said this would be a spare for ice fishing unless i really get to liking it over my flx28.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Helix 7 Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2020, 09:17 PM »
I've been using a Helix 7 for two years ice fishing and its been excellent, no lag at all, I also was running the 7 on my boat for a few years and it worked excellent.

This year I sold the 7 and purchased two Helix 9 units for my boat and a Helix 5 ice unit.

Can't wait for ice season...

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2020, 11:06 PM »
I've been using a Helix 7 for two years ice fishing and its been excellent, no lag at all, I also was running the 7 on my boat for a few years and it worked excellent.

X2

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2020, 06:37 AM »

I have a  helix 5 I use occasionally  works just fine , I don稚 use flasher mode so I can稚   Comment on that

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2020, 07:18 AM »
I use the Helix 5 ice, pretty kool to use the split screen grapf/flasher. No lag time. I find the flasher to work as well as FL18.  Great units!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2020, 09:58 AM »
I use a Helix 9, there is zero lag in flasher or graph mode. Instant response.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2020, 03:15 PM »
I知 still conflicted. A helix 7 is a lot of sonar for my pontoon which is mostly for recreation in the summer and a little bit of fishing here and there. i might end up going with the 5 for the price tag alone. Thanks for the input so far!!!!!

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2020, 04:57 PM »
I am wondering if anybody is using 360 imaging on the ice.  It looks awesome.  I have a Helix 7 I will be using on the ice this year.  Really interested in the 360.

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2020, 05:06 PM »
I am wondering if anybody is using 360 imaging on the ice.  It looks awesome.  I have a Helix 7 I will be using on the ice this year.  Really interested in the 360.

I know a guide / pro staffer that was playing with it last winter and said it was pretty cool. I'm waiting to see if Humminbird launches a specific ice kit this season.  :whistle:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2020, 05:22 PM »

My bud is a guide and has a mega 7 and it works great , ice to boat

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2020, 04:04 AM »
I知 still conflicted. A helix 7 is a lot of sonar for my pontoon which is mostly for recreation in the summer and a little bit of fishing here and there. i might end up going with the 5 for the price tag alone. Thanks for the input so far!!!!!
I went with the Helix ice 5 pgs g2 It is the ice package. Bought a troll mounting transducer for my open water fishing. Check out Hodges Marine they are tuff to beat on their pricing.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline GOTICE?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2020, 08:07 AM »
I have a hummingbird Helix 7 GPS/Sonar on my boat. How do I know if I can use this for ice fishing? When I select view one of the things that comes up is a flasher. Will I just need to purchase a transducer for ice fishing? It is an older unit. It was on my boat when I bought it so I'd say its around 10 years old.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2020, 10:22 AM »
There is an ice pack that you can buy for like $200.  Comes with mounting base, soft case, and ice transducer.  You'll have to check for your actual model and compatibility.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2020, 10:56 AM »
If you look on the Humminbird website they list which ice ducers are compatible with which units.  Easy peasy.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2020, 03:29 PM »
you can also loop the cord on your open water transducer and use it to ice fish with - I've been doing that for years now

Catchin' Fish

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 23, 2020, 08:52 AM »

Go with the 7.  It's SO much more screen and a lot easier to see. I think the extra $$ is well worth it. I agonized for awhile over the 5 or the 7 and I'm super glad I got the 7

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 23, 2020, 08:52 PM »
I知 going with the 5 for now. I sold my vexilar fl18 and I知 taking the money and buying the helix 5, mainly looking at it from a cost stand point. Doing it this way so I don稚 have to spend any additional money on the unit and i get a solid unit I can use year round. Planing to mount it to a genz box for my ice setup. I really like my FLX28 so its going to be tough to switch to the helix but this way ill get to see what they are like. Thanks All!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 24, 2020, 09:05 AM »
gps? if so, get a lakemaster card in it or purchase the bodies of water you fish with chart select and import into the fishsmart app. You can also download the iowa dnr gpx file and import the waypoints into the helix and fiishsmart app

Catchin' Fish

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2020, 05:23 PM »
It is the GPS one. That covers my next question about Lake Maps. Kind of a noob when it comes to this. I mainly fish in Iowa and South Dakota. I have Navionics on my phone but reception can be touch and go in certain areas.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 25, 2020, 08:02 AM »
https://www.iowadnr.gov/fishing/fishing-maps - download the gpx file
https://www.humminbird.com/support/software-updates/HumminbirdPC-v-4-6-1 - download humminbird pc
Open the gpx file with humminbird pc, insert a microSD card into your laptop or computer, format it, click the green arrow on the card icon in humminbird pc while the entire gpx file is highlighted on the right hand side of the screen - it will convert the gpx file into waypoints your helix can read
Turn the helix on, insert the microSD card into the helix, it will prompt on the screen something like "import waypoint data" push the over arrow on the Helix to select yes - your waypoints have been added to the unit

You can open the gpx file in google earth to view/modify data

You can also import the waypoints into fishsmart https://www.humminbird.com/learn/fishsmart-app
helix and fishshart can both host chart select maps https://chartselect.humminbird.com/chartselect if you do not want to purchase the entire lakemaster chip - you need to purchase a blank microsd, format it in the helix, then use the chart select download tool to put the map data on the card

That's a pretty good high level

Catchin' Fish

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Sep 25, 2020, 10:49 AM »
It is the GPS one. That covers my next question about Lake Maps. Kind of a noob when it comes to this. I mainly fish in Iowa and South Dakota. I have Navionics on my phone but reception can be touch and go in certain areas.
I use the Lakemaster Dakotas/Nebraska chip 600013-6 in my Helix7, but I don't fish in Iowa. The Lakemaster website may have a chip that includes Iowa and others you need. I think the Great Plains chip has Iowa, but not South Dakota.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.