Author Topic: Jigging  (Read 757 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
Jigging
« on: Aug 21, 2020, 05:19 PM »
I have 2 poles (3 but always let guests use the one that isn’t a ugly stik because mine are 2 medium heavies and was wondering what setup I should have for each one and am planning on getting a medium action
Jigging spoon
Jig
Idk

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jigging
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2020, 07:25 PM »
I use a medium with a fast tip for jigging, Berkeley amp is one I have and really like

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2020, 12:08 AM »
It really depends on the actual lure that you're jigging.

As since I may just want to jig a straight spoon like for example: Epinger Daredevle spoon, Swedish Pimple, Krocodile Spoon.  A lot of is more like a lift and drop to let the spoon wobble or flutter on the fall.  The other part is just shaking the rod tip or tapping the rod tip to impart motion on the spoon. 

Before St. Croix stop prodution on their Premiere ice rods and switch to the Mojo ice rods, those rods basically were selling for about $15-20 a piece.  The one thing about St. Croix rods is often their medium power rods are a bit more like a medium heavy power.  Since I'm a bait casting type of guy, I actually like to use the baitcasting rods version.  However a spinning rod version will work just fine as well.  There is an advantage to using a longer rod length say like around 36" over those of like about 28" length.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2020, 04:48 AM »
It really depends on the actual lure that you're jigging.

As since I may just want to jig a straight spoon like for example: Epinger Daredevle spoon, Swedish Pimple, Krocodile Spoon.  A lot of is more like a lift and drop to let the spoon wobble or flutter on the fall.  The other part is just shaking the rod tip or tapping the rod tip to impart motion on the spoon. 

Before St. Croix stop prodution on their Premiere ice rods and switch to the Mojo ice rods, those rods basically were selling for about $15-20 a piece.  The one thing about St. Croix rods is often their medium power rods are a bit more like a medium heavy power.  Since I'm a bait casting type of guy, I actually like to use the baitcasting rods version.  However a spinning rod version will work just fine as well.  There is an advantage to using a longer rod length say like
around 36" over those of like about 28" length.

Lol i have enough problems smacking my 28” rod against some part of the hut

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2020, 09:24 PM »
Some more background info would be helpful.  What species are you targeting? (based on your name, pike?) what size/weight of jigging spoon do you use? Jig? 

I have jigs and spoons in everything from panfish size to lake trout sized ones. Use a different rod weight for each size.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2020, 04:50 PM »
Basically i setup tipups for pike and jig for everything else but want to get catch pike jigging if they ignore minnows on tip ups which they have several times

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.