Author Topic: Salmo Chubby darter techniques????  (Read 1905 times)

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Salmo Chubby darter techniques????
« on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:04 AM »
Ok I have a few of these and they look awesome  but I have never taken a fish on one.  I,ve tried small ones, big ones, several different colors?  is there something I should be doing differently. just jiggin them like I would a jiggin rap or spoon or what have you.  The thing is they look soo good!  I think I'm gonna start crumplin up all those in-fisherman articles that show guys with nice fish and a chubby darter haging out of their mouths, and stuff them down the holes!  Then the fish can read what they're supposed to do !!:clap: :clap

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: Salmo Chubby darter techniques????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2006, 11:42 AM »
I need a fishfinder to fish a chubby properly.  If I am fishing for walleyes, I employ three different techniques. I'm going to go in order of aggressiveness.

The first is to fish it 4 feet of the bottom, and just do a 1' lift, and let it drop on slack line...if the eyes are aggressive, they will just come up and smack it. 

the second technique is to fish it about 1 foot off the bottom, do a lift/drop sequence.  When the fish come up to inspect it, I lift the lure slowly, and they will take it (sometimes extremely lightly, sometimes they will follow it up some distance before they take it). 

The third technique involves fishing the lure a few inches off the bottom.  I work the lure with very light upward twitches, and pay alot of attention to both the vex and rod tip. Usually i can just barely see the lure on the vex, and fish will show up as a flash under the lure.  The take is imperceptible, I only know they are on there when I go to twitch it up, and there is either no weight, or more weight then there should be.

A side note is that while fish don't seem to show much color preference, they will show a huge size preference, whereas they will take one size and not take another...to the point of not catching fish if you aren't using the proper size. Also, with the medium and small size, light line is really critical (6lb or less) so that the chubbies behave properly.

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2006, 01:38 PM »
Thanks Big Red  I knew I could count on a Coby man for sound advice!  What size do you generally start with?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2006, 01:40 PM »
I have had my luck with the medium and small sizes...its about a horse a piece between those two...

Offline Carpfer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2006, 10:10 AM »
Chartruse Salmo is my 'ol fathful' fishing shallow water (10' or less) slowly lower the bait from the ice surface all the way to the bottom and allow the bait to lay on its side in the muck. you'll be surprised how many fish will come to look.  One aspect of using a salmo I have trouble with is when a fish comes onto the screen I seem to slightly change how the bait is swimming get anxious... I think the change in the baits swimming makes the perch turn away....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.