Author Topic: Help with a do it yourself project  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help with a do it yourself project
« on: Nov 01, 2020, 04:20 PM »
The situation:

Clam plate a 6 and 8 inch lite flite auger want quick changeability with Allen wrench.

The problem:

Always losing Allen Wrench.

Used magnets on the black metal clam plate holding the drill. It fell off maybe not strong enough magnets?

Tried tapeing to the shaft one time deal and still lost it any ideas to mount the allen to the Clam plate or?

Offline Jimbow11

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Help with a do it yourself project
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2020, 04:31 PM »
Drill a hole amd put a rubber grommet in it just like they used to on the old Jiffy drills.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2020, 04:37 PM »
Use one of those magnetic key holders and place on the clam plate. Not sure if they are large enough or not.
<===Lefty===

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2020, 04:45 PM »
Get an Ion Bit Switch / Quick Exchange. Connects direct to the clam plate. Eskimo sells a verity of adapters that connects the auger to the Bit Switch. Fastest easiest auger exchange on the market.

https://www.landmsupply.com/ion-quick-release-w-drill-adapter-combo-18910?gclid=Cj0KCQjwufn8BRCwARIsAKzP697A_zM0WMCXpytbOw8p-2Smaie8HcLJaI0oketDt-yMz8ZhEPwHHvoaAsEDEALw_wcB

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2020, 05:39 PM »
put it IN you tackle box

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2020, 07:25 PM »
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-16-in-x-2-3-4-in-Zinc-Plated-Round-Wire-Lock-Pin-807488/204225915

My $3 quick release setup. Replace the bolt through your auger with one of these and never worry about losing an Allen key again. Its never happened to me, but I usually pinch the spring part a little smaller with pliers as extra insurance so it doesn't come out on its own. As a bonus, it's the same size as the ones I use on my sleigh hitch and can be used if I lose that one.

If you're set on keeping the Allen key, drill a small hole in the end and use picture hanging/mechanics wire to hold it in place. Make it just long enough to reach from it's stored position to the auger so it never has to be removed.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2020, 06:32 AM »
Drill a hole amd put a rubber grommet in it just like they used to on the old Jiffy drills.

I like this idea ..also just get the wing nut supplied on hand augers .
Its also nice to have some spare blades and the tools to R&R them ..get yourself a Harbor Freight tool pouch store your extra batteries and all the on ice tools youll need for any on ice repairs..zip ties and Duct tape...hockey tape are also good to have on hand.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2020, 08:00 AM »

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2020, 09:01 AM »
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-16-in-x-2-3-4-in-Zinc-Plated-Round-Wire-Lock-Pin-807488/204225915

My $3 quick release setup. Replace the bolt through your auger with one of these and never worry about losing an Allen key again. Its never happened to me, but I usually pinch the spring part a little smaller with pliers as extra insurance so it doesn't come out on its own. As a bonus, it's the same size as the ones I use on my sleigh hitch and can be used if I lose that one.

If you're set on keeping the Allen key, drill a small hole in the end and use picture hanging/mechanics wire to hold it in place. Make it just long enough to reach from it's stored position to the auger so it never has to be removed.

I've been thinking about doing this with my auger. I hate the screw. Has the pin ever been bent from the torque? Have your cross holes ever become enlarged? I would imagine there is a little play between the pin and the holes on both the drive shaft and the collar on the auger bit.
jbird68

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2020, 05:45 PM »
The pin is a good Idea. However you have threads in the shaft. The pin will round them out and I had one snap. Bye Bye K Drill. And yes the foamy float does not work always. I timed it today took me 1 minute and 20 seconds to undue the 1 bolt from the 6 inch and switch to the 8 inch. I think I will do the grommet idea but never seen one on a Jiffy before. All good ideas here not attacking but those pins can really screw up the threads and they usually wobble.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2020, 07:16 AM »
The pin is a good Idea. However you have threads in the shaft. The pin will round them out and I had one snap. Bye Bye K Drill. And yes the foamy float does not work always. I timed it today took me 1 minute and 20 seconds to undue the 1 bolt from the 6 inch and switch to the 8 inch. I think I will do the grommet idea but never seen one on a Jiffy before. All good ideas here not attacking but those pins can really screw up the threads and they usually wobble.

Why are you keeping Allen wrench on the drill plate? Keep it on the auger you aren’t using.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2020, 07:55 AM »

Are the threads in the ID of the shaft or in the cross holes of the shaft? Have any photos for clarification? On my HT AE-7 auger the ID of the shaft is smooth.
jbird68

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2020, 08:59 AM »
The threads are in the cross holes of the shaft. I don't know how to post pics. Most Strikemaster augers had a clip usually by the handles that the Allen wrench fit in to. Nice and neat out of the way. Concerned when the ice gets deep I could knock/bump the Allen off if on the shaft. Thanks for the link hardwater diehard

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2020, 10:32 AM »
Why don't you just drill another set of holes 90 degrees from the threaded holes? Then you would have straight through holes for a pin. Would still maintain the threads is you wanted to use the handle for manual drilling.
jbird68

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2020, 07:38 PM »

I've been thinking about doing this with my auger. I hate the screw. Has the pin ever been bent from the torque? Have your cross holes ever become enlarged? I would imagine there is a little play between the pin and the holes on both the drive shaft and the collar on the auger bit.

I've personally  never seen a pin bend before as long as it's one of the thicker sized ones. I have heard of them breaking before but I would assume it's usually a thinner diameter pin. I use the same size pin as what i use to tow my sleigh behind my snowmobile. There may be some play in the system which could damage your threads over time, but if you don't plan to use the Allen key again it doesn't matter. my old eskimo auger  fits quite tight on the shaft and doesn't seem to move enough to damage the threads even with a little slop around the pin. If you're really worried about protecting the threads in the auger bit, you could drill a second hole (like you suggested) through the auger exactly the size of your pin.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.