Author Topic: Underwater Camera Comparison  (Read 4913 times)

Offline justinl8688

• Team IceShanty Regular
Underwater Camera Comparison
« on: Oct 29, 2020, 07:16 AM »
Looking at buying a new underwater camera. Compact version with recording ability. Can anyone comment on Marcum Pursuit HD vs Marcum Recon 5 Plus vs Aqua Vu Micro Revolution 5.0? Image quality, battery life, etc. would be helpful. Thanks!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Underwater Camera Comparison
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2020, 08:57 AM »
I believe the Marcum Recon 5 uses an older video format ..QuickTime I believe ..I have two older AV Micro units with DVR..records fine.. view is fine. But water clarity is key ..as is cloud and snow cover ...

Unfortunately an actual side by side comparisons are not available ..and individual reviews are tough to judge as all the conditions are not the same . Even moving my camera from lake to lake there are drastic changes in picture/video quality .

Make sure that all the lights can be turned on/off...has a lid and/or case shield as glare is a big issue ...I put some anti glare film on my two camera set ups seems to help.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2020, 09:31 AM »
The Recon's are terrible with their outdated format and fisheye lens effect, i'm going to get a Pursuit as soon as I find one on sale, it fixes all of the issues the Recons have...

Offline justinl8688

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2020, 09:43 AM »
Joe,
From what images I have seen, the picture quality on the Pursuit looks much improved. Let me know if you find a good deal on one this year.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2020, 09:46 AM »
I have an Aqua Vu Micro Revolution 5 Pro and love it, but the Pursuit HD looks awesome! Stay away from the Recon.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2020, 11:27 AM »
Not to Hijack the thread, but I think it pertains to the subject...

Hardwater Diehard, or anyone else, what type of anti glare tape have you used on cameras?  Any residue or issues with the tape if removed? 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2020, 11:53 AM »
Not to Hijack the thread, but I think it pertains to the subject...

Hardwater Diehard, or anyone else, what type of anti glare tape have you used on cameras?  Any residue or issues with the tape if removed?

Havent removed it ..but I did just but a generic anti-glare for some I-pad ...and cut to fit both my cameras
Believe I got it in a discount bin in the electronics department at Walmart.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Big_Mel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2020, 12:49 PM »
Any one have thoughts on the Vexilar Fish/scout camera? I was think of that between the Recon 5 but after looking here maybe not so much...

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2020, 01:44 PM »
I'm sort of the same boat, wanting to see a comparison of the Marcum Pursuit with their Quest and the Aqua Vu HDi Gen2s, for the image quality of the actual camera head.  I have an Ice Castle Little Jigger, with four holes along one side, and with my TV, I could easily run a side-by-side comparison over my TV, since it has and RCA input for my VS485c, and two HDMI inputs for two HD cameras. I also fish a lake with cribs and multiple fish surrounding them all day, maybe I'll try to coordinate something via the ICOG on FB. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2020, 01:49 PM »
The only problem with the larger cameras ..besides bulky weight ..its the inability to to point the camera up or down 45 degrees ..these angle offer quite a different and useful perspective..Aqua Vu has has had a good bracket for all their models. 

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2020, 09:12 AM »
I use a Recon 5+ but only for.... recon!  Been a great little camera for scoping out setup spots for spearing.  Never used it for recording purposes and with a QuickTime format it wouldn't be my first choice if doing video was the primary use.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.