Author Topic: 8” vs 10” auger  (Read 3064 times)

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
Re: 8” vs 10” auger
« Reply #30 on: Oct 30, 2020, 04:41 AM »

Thi fish just barely squeezed through an 8" hole. She was only 36" long but clearly full of eggs. I don't know how much fatter a pile can get, but when I catch a 42" full of eggs, I'm not taking a chance. I use 8" most of the year then switch to 10" late season.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #31 on: Oct 30, 2020, 08:06 AM »
Well said!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :flex: :clap: :bow:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Oct 30, 2020, 11:43 AM »
The only consistent theme in these threads is everyone has different needs and preferences.

Some guys...
...say 6" is big enough to catch any fish in the lake
...say anything less than 10" will cost them a trophy
...strictly fish panfish
...catch 80" sturgeon
...fish in ice castles
...never even bring a portable
...say anything over 8" is dangerous
...say anything under 10" is unethical to the fish

In the end hole size it's like everything else, a compromise... or you can buy multiple sizes for different days.  The idea of telling someone else what size hole they need is just silly.

I will say I've pulled a 32" walleye, 40+" pike, 40+" laker, and 50+" muskie through 8" holes.  Would 10" have made it easier - for the pike and muskie, ABSOLUTELY!  And that is due to the long snout and being hooked in the corner of the mouth.  But once the head started they all fit through the hole with room to spare.  The only fish I've had get stuck and not make it up an 8" hole are a few mid 20" lake trout that get snagged right in the side and I think it would take a DTRO special quintuple hole to land those.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.