Author Topic: Fly pattern  (Read 787 times)

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fly pattern
« on: Oct 28, 2020, 07:50 PM »
I want to use a fly/nymph above a tungsten
Jig but have no idea what kind to use???

Any recommendations would be awesome.

Targeting panfish
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline MTJ

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fly pattern
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2020, 09:00 PM »
I don't have much personal experience using flies for ice fishing but have heard that scuds, chironomids and some midges can work well. I think these types work best for perch and trout, which I assume is what you're fishing for with tungstens.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2020, 09:38 PM »
Leech pattern for the win....

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2020, 06:56 AM »
I use Wire Worms - about as simple as one can get in regards to a "tied fly" but they do attract bites.  For the fancier tastes a Copper John would be a similar choice.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2020, 07:05 AM »
Literally anything small enough for them to eat in the winter. I like to use anywhere from a size 12-16 fly. Mostly nymph patterns and anything I tie up that looks “buggy”. Fish are kind of dumb, it doesn’t take much. For actually tying it on, I just use a surgeons loop and leave the tag end long then tie on my tungsten to that tag end.

“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2020, 08:35 AM »
what he said. + add a bit of scent to seal the deal.  I have also had good luck with micro plastics, the last several years.  I always put some gulp or yum or something in the packages unless already scented.

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2020, 09:18 AM »
Balanced leeches, chironomids, scuds, water boatmen, whatever your lake has for invertebrates will be on the menu under the ice. The last trout I caught was full of snails; don't have a fly for that yet...
And if you're not sure what they're eating? Wooly bugger!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2020, 09:36 AM »
My favorites - Copper Johns, Hares ear, pheasant tails, Prince nymphs and any scud pattern.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2020, 02:04 PM »
I 've been using a few of these hand made tungsten ice flies for awhile which are killer and best quality/detailed I've found. But interested in following this idea.  So you are using a unweighted fly above a tungsten jig?  Or are the flies slightly weighted? I know pretty much zero when it comes to fly fishing  :whistle:

https://jeffsjigs.com/

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2020, 02:50 PM »
So you are using a unweighted fly above a tungsten jig? 

Yes.

I've found some pretty nice scuds but also looking for realistic looking nymphs.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2020, 12:39 AM »
Here are a few pretty good patterns. Especially the “spike ball”. Wrap the sank with a little bit of lead and use a tungsten bead and you have a really nice bait-less presentation. Very easy pattern and effective. Just cut 3-5 .5” of micro-chenille and singe the tip with a flame then add some dubbing. You could even tie it weightless with no lead or bead and use it above a tungsten jig. Those scuds are also very nice. Rg ties some good flies.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=333761.msg3536252#msg3536252

Also, do a YouTube search for Davie McPhail and go through his videos. He has 700+ videos. If you aren’t tying your own flies, you should really consider it!
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.