Author Topic: sore feet on rabbit dog  (Read 1171 times)

Offline hunter13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
sore feet on rabbit dog
« on: Feb 01, 2006, 09:47 AM »
i know it isn't ice fishing related but figure there must be some rabbit hunters here  Friend  of mine has a beagle and it is getting sore feet from going threw bushes just wanted to know what is the best to put on it he has put Vaseline on it but doesn't seem to help was thinking like a&d  or first aid cream what do you all use

hunter13

"Grab your rod and git-r-done!"  VERMONT

Offline nhtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: sore feet on rabbit dog
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2006, 09:56 AM »
try this web-site  http://forums.huntingboards.com/  very good group of rabbit hunters

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2006, 01:02 PM »
 You can try bag balm it is used for milk cows and it works good on your hands also.
 As an aside to this .I have a friend that owned a 1/2 Beagle and !/2 Basset hound and that sucker could run rabbits.
 We were hunting in a big briar patch one rainy day and the dogs were running 2 rabbits at a time sometimes.
 At the end of the day when we were loading the dogs up into the truck I noticed that his dog had these 2 bloody "cherries" hanging between his legs so I said to my friend,"hey Paul you need to put something on that poor dog to heal them up a bit".
 He responded " Dickie, they do that every year and I sat him down this year before hunting season and talked to him about it and told him that we could go to the vet and get him "fixed" and then he wouldn't hurt anymore."
 So I said 'Oh yeah,and what did he tell you?". He says " Paul, hunting season is only a couple of weeks out of the year and all things considered, I'd rather just put up with the pain for a couple weeks. I mean what have I got to lose?"
 Winchester 88   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

crowkiller

« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2006, 02:51 PM »
they make thorn boots for dogs try cabelas,bag balm works to heal them.

Offline icefishinbro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2006, 07:24 PM »
The booties for dogs are good if you can get them to wear them!  Some dogs will chew at them to get them off their feet.  There is a product called EMT Gel they sell it in stores like petsmart and petco, you can also try your local gander mtn., they might also sell it.

Offline hunter13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2006, 07:38 PM »
thanks for the info guys will tell him to try the bag balm  will let you know if it works

hunter13

"Grab your rod and git-r-done!"  VERMONT

Offline pennreels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2006, 08:15 PM »
Have your buddy rub the bag balm on the paws before the dogs go loose.  Just rub the balm on the pads before he lets them loose.  Bag Balm is great stuff, made in Lydonville, VT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.