The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anybody else have one of these?  (Read 461 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anybody else have one of these?
« on: Feb 21, 2024, 09:53 AM »
A STRONG  magnet?

Believe it or not, I have never dropped anything of value down my hole while ice-fishing. But I figure it’s only a matter of time.................. .

So when I saw this at Dick’s I figured it was worth buying. I tried the 450 lb magnet but it wasn’t quite strong enough to pick up my cell phone in it’s waterproof case. So I went with the 1200 lb.

When I got on YouTube To check out reviews I found out people actually use it for “magnet fishing.” I didn’t even know that was “a thing!”  :o
Where's the FISH?!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Anybody else have one of these?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2024, 10:09 AM »
I started out magnet fishing but would pull up sparkplugs,iron in the soil and sometimes a old steel fishing spoon but most good lures like little cleos and mepps spinner are made from brass and stainless steel.most times the hooks are rusted off and the magnet doesn't stick all that great.i do carry one all the time out fishing still tho.my dad was doing it with a old snagging rod and penn reel and would cast it out.way before it became popular.now i just use my submersible coil on my metal detector these days.ive hooked so many hemos and needle nose pliers while mag fishing.the rare earth mags are real strong.

Offline kmu70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2024, 11:13 AM »
Hey if fish aren't biting ,you have something else to do. i just seen that on youtube also

Offline fleasimbeck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2024, 11:24 AM »
I've magnet fished for a past few years. Kids love it. I drag it behind my kayak also in the lakes.  One toss with that 450lb magnet in the Erie tribes would get your limit.  Sorry for that. It's what we say when people ask what we're using the magnet for.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2024, 11:47 AM »
I started out magnet fishing but would pull up sparkplugs,iron in the soil and sometimes a old steel fishing spoon but most good lures like little cleos and mepps spinner are made from brass and stainless steel.most times the hooks are rusted off and the magnet doesn't stick all that great.i do carry one all the time out fishing still tho.my dad was doing it with a old snagging rod and penn reel and would cast it out.way before it became popular.now i just use my submersible coil on my metal detector these days.ive hooked so many hemos and needle nose pliers while mag fishing.the rare earth mags are real strong.

Yeah, I wondered how well it would do on lures................. ............

I probably won't "fish" with it.................... ..but if I know something is down there, will be nice to get it back!  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2024, 02:17 PM »
nope, but I have a snagging hook for when I need to pick something up but I have never been successful at getting anything I dropped. Either whatever it was didn't fall straight down or the water was just too deep. But there are a few pickerel in Promised Land with enough metal in their lips that I bet I could snag with that magnet.  :roflmao:

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2024, 04:51 PM »
No kidding Spider, I tie double teardrops so over the years I probably lost 40 to those gators at $1.50 a pop

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2024, 06:55 PM »
nope, but I have a snagging hook for when I need to pick something up but I have never been successful at getting anything I dropped. Either whatever it was didn't fall straight down or the water was just too deep. But there are a few pickerel in Promised Land with enough metal in their lips that I bet I could snag with that magnet.  :roflmao:

LMBO! 🤣🤣🤣. Now THAT would REALLY be Magnet “fishing!” 😜
Where's the FISH?!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.