The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Newbie looking for help getting started  (Read 745 times)

Offline e5pa9sr3

• IceShanty Rookie
Newbie looking for help getting started
« on: Jan 03, 2024, 09:58 AM »
Hi there, I have a 7 year who loved fishing this past Spring and Summer. He wants to give ice fishing a shot, but I know very little about it. I'm wondering if I can tag along with an experienced ice fisherman somewhere in Pennsylvania (within 3 hours of Philly) if we finally get some cold weather this year. Prompton in particular would be great if conditions allow for it, but totally open minded and appreciate any help we can get! Cheers.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newbie looking for help getting started
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2024, 01:20 PM »
I’ll probably be on Promised Land upper or Lower lake by the end of January 🤞🤞🤞. I’ll give you the “heads up” when it gets closer and I finalize plans..........

Always willing to help out a “newbie!”
Where's the FISH?!

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2024, 01:59 PM »
I’ll probably be on Promised Land upper or Lower lake by the end of January 🤞🤞🤞. I’ll give you the “heads up” when it gets closer and I finalize plans..........

Thought you were gonna be on the first week of Jan.  as per post on Dec. 7.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2024, 02:30 PM »
Hi there, I have a 7 year who loved fishing this past Spring and Summer. He wants to give ice fishing a shot, but I know very little about it. I'm wondering if I can tag along with an experienced ice fisherman somewhere in Pennsylvania (within 3 hours of Philly) if we finally get some cold weather this year. Prompton in particular would be great if conditions allow for it, but totally open minded and appreciate any help we can get! Cheers.

e5pa9sr3 - I live just north of Philadelphia and would be happy to host you and your son on one of our ice fishing trips (as soon as we have safe ice). I have some excess ice fishing gear I've accumulated over the years that I may be able to give you to help you get started.

VERY IMPORTANT:

Ice fishing is a LOT of fun, but it can also be dangerous so it's important to be careful and to understand where the dangers lie, how to identify them and what equipment you need to keep safe. Check out this thread for a good beginner's list:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=380268.msg4126419#msg4126419

I would definitely recommend purchasing basic safety gear like ice cleats and ice picks. They're inexpensive and well worth the investment.

Also, buddying up with some experienced ice fishermen is a great idea.

Hope to see you and your son on the ice!

Butcher

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2024, 02:35 PM »
if you check fish usa website they have the schoolie fishing rods with built in spring bobber for around 12 bucks great for kids
im on the other side of the state but with little ones those cheap rods work great
good luck and be safe

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2024, 05:05 PM »
Thought you were gonna be on the first week of Jan.  as per post on Dec. 7.

Like I’ve always said, I’m the eternal optimist.............. . ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2024, 05:11 PM »

VERY IMPORTANT:

Ice fishing is a LOT of fun, but it can also be dangerous so it's important to be careful and to understand where the dangers lie, how to identify them and what equipment you need to keep safe.

I would definitely recommend purchasing basic safety gear like ice cleats and ice picks. They're inexpensive and well worth the investment.

Also, buddying up with some experienced ice fishermen is a great idea.

Very good advice! I would add a good spud bar to the safety gear list.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2024, 05:52 PM »

Im a newbie. Take me too your good spots  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline GI_Gin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2024, 07:46 PM »
I live in South Philly, learned to ice fish in Minnesota, and go several times a week once ice sets up. I drive 1.5-2 hours to a few different lakes. These folks offered great advice about safety gear. Message me if you'd like to meet up on the ice... whenever that might be lol

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2024, 07:34 AM »
Im a newbie. Take me too your good spots  :roflmao: :roflmao:

LOL Captain! 🤣 I’ll let you know when the crew is headed to Promised Land. Maybe we can convince the “Sausage Man” (PaCarpboy) to join us.  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2024, 10:45 AM »
NuttRutt can use all the new friends he can get.  At last count.....that would make 2.  He has no good spots CC.   He's been ice fishing for over 20 years, and one of these times, he may catch something.    ;D

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2024, 01:37 PM »
NuttRutt can use all the new friends he can get.  At last count.....that would make 2.  He has no good spots CC.   He's been ice fishing for over 20 years, and one of these times, he may catch something.    ;D

🤣🤣🤣
Where's the FISH?!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.