Author Topic: January weather predictions?  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
January weather predictions?
« on: Dec 25, 2003, 06:52 AM »
Have any of you guys heard the long range weather predictions for jan.-seems like they're predicting above average temps for the whole month! Do you guys think we'll ever get fishable ice in central IL?
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Praying for 3 more weeks of ice!
Re:January weather predictions?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2003, 10:29 AM »
KIm,

Looks like you are chompin at the bit as am I.  Come up North..we have fishable ice IMHO.

Hdhntr

gazoo7401

« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2003, 11:33 AM »
where do you have fishable ice? how thick

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2003, 12:16 PM »
I guess everyone has there own definition of "fishable".  Last weekend there were about 10-12 people on Crystal Lake.
 IF you call Daves Bait and tackle in crystal lake, they will tell you people have been out for two weeks.
 Wonder lake, and certain parts of channel I hear are thick enough to fish on.  Crystal lake has about 3-4 inches, the gates were not open officially but people were out!

With the cold weather we have had the last few days, I would think that tomorrow might be a good day.  Then its back to the 40 degree temps for 3 days!

Hopefully it wont casue too much damage to the ice.

hdhntr

Offline bueller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2003, 05:40 PM »
The other night on WGN news Tom Skilling (Chitown's #1 Weatherman) said that early January will bring several measurable snowfalls and some very cold weather. Now if long range weather forecasts in Chicago were right even 20% of the time I would be getting excited about ice fishing the Lake Michigan Harbors right about now.
A true fisherman can down a six-pack by 9am

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2003, 12:04 AM »
Crystal lake had about 4-5 inches today.  27-28 people out there today.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2004, 03:35 PM »
Did you guys see the weather for next week?!!!!!-Finally-ICE!
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2004, 05:21 PM »
Beleive it or not there were people out on Cystal lake a today!  But yes, next week looks like the first good week of temps!!!!!!!!

Offline bluegill63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2004, 06:04 PM »
Woooooooooohoooooooooo ooo :o

Its about dam time for the ice lets all have a safe time out on the ice next week. Please remember if you are not going to eat it let it go. The fish you might not like to catch some little kid would love to catch. Just remember the smiles on their faces.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2004, 04:50 PM »
well put on both counts,blugill-one of my biggest pet peeves is fish left on the ice! One day last winter my father and I went behind HIS FRIENDS and picked up close to 80 blugill left on the ice! He was amazed and appalled at their behavior- I'd recently educated him on the fallacy of the old ways of "thinning" a lake out, so that fish won't become stunted in size- so he attempted to lay this line of reasoning on his friends and he heard the same old comments of "too many dinks in the lake". It's a very sad situation here in central il. I can speak from first hand experience- four of the six private lakes I have had permission to since I was 18(I'm now 37), have been cleaned competely out!

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2004, 08:16 AM »
The other night on WGN news Tom Skilling (Chitown's #1 Weatherman) said that early January will bring several measurable snowfalls and some very cold weather. Now if long range weather forecasts in Chicago were right even 20% of the time I would be getting excited about ice fishing the Lake Michigan Harbors right about now.
come on now guys  when wgn  tom S says its cold outside  try our weather  upstate new york on for size  I was out on ice the lake I fish   I had runnig water in my shanty  first my buddy & I used my full sized snow shovel to shovel out straight to the ice  & around then marked our holes  & when we got down to the iceholes  the water came up  gushing just like a crystal lake fire hydrent & wammer jammer  befor that my buddy & I set up the 2 man shappel & then  pop it up on top of the snow   it  came flooding out of the ice hole  7 inchs high I am not kidding where we were standing  LOL  just a story from a guy who knows your lakes    in fact we arnt icefishin till hump day  bitter cold  & up to 30 mile gusts of wind
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.