Author Topic: Who is getting ready  (Read 4186 times)

fishmanj

Who is getting ready
« on: Oct 19, 2004, 10:43 AM »
I noticed that this board wasn't used too much last year so lets try to pick it up this season.

Who is getting ready for the ice that is only two months away?  What do you all do to get ready for first ice?  What is the place you are most looking forward to getting to this year?  And what do you guys normally fish for?

I have finaly collected all my ice gear back up from a friend and have taken inventory.  I'm looking for a used 6" hand auger for early ice, does anybody have an extra one?  The gas auger will come out later if it even comes out.  I will be spending most of the season on Long Lake and makeing a few trips to the chain to search for walleye.  I found a channel off the fox last year that produced some really nice gills and that is one of the places I'm really looking forward to getting too.  This will also be the first year that I make a few attempts at targeting catfish, should be fun and I should learn a lot.  Hopefully in a few seasons I'll have that down pat.  I normally fish long lake for panfish but mainly perch, there is a good population and good size.  So lets hear it, who is ready?

stinky

Re: Who is getting ready
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2004, 11:55 AM »
 fishmanj come up to Channel Lake we have a good catfish hole up there. I have everything in order and some new jigs and rods comeing in. the auger blades have been changed and the quad checked over I'm ready to go.
Bob

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2004, 08:23 AM »
I am definately ready for first ice.  I am from hoffman estates and I am looking forward to trying new lakes.  I have never ice fished the chain before.  I have been shopping for new gear twice already this year and I am looking into buying a two man Shapell or Frabil Speed shak or Venture.  DO you guys have any input on which would be a better buy?  I usually jig for gills and set up some tip ups with garlic seasoned dryed minnows (homemade) for channel cats on my local ponds. Glad to see people from N. Illinois are posting.

stinky

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2004, 04:48 PM »
zaraspooker I fish out of a fishtrap pro and like it much better but to each there own. The chain is a great place to fish with plenty of eyes,gills,crappie,northers and cats not to forget somemgood striper fishing. I spend as much time as I can out there plus fish in different states. You can make some new friends on the ice and they are there every year.
Bob

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2004, 07:41 AM »
I'm chomping at the bit to get out! Also, go to the For Sale section and check out  my post wanting a Nilsmaster hand auger, ice jigs, plastics, and equipment(shanties, flashers, etc.) if you've got any of this stuff for sale.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Illinois

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2004, 01:33 PM »
I'm ready!  I have the Nil's ice auger from last Christmas and I just bought a Marcum
LX-3 to try once we get ICE.  I just moved in near Long Lake and hope to be fishing there this season.  If anyone has information about this lake I would be interested and appreciative of any info shared.  I moved in last year but haven't been able to check out any fishing in the immediate area.  I have fished the Chain and had good luck on Pistake and Fox lake.  Have any of you ice fished on Lake Marie?  I'm looking to try there also. 

It would be nice to get some ice fishing reports on here from all of you.  I will be posting my reports once we get ice and I can get out. 

Thanks
Paul

stinky

« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2004, 06:06 PM »
 Illinois try the bay just off Wilson Rd. out by the point I know of some big northers that have come from there. Pistakee and fox both for stripers and some nice gills and crappies. Marie for stripers and crappie plus some great walleye fishing.
 Don't forget to try petite can be a good crappie and eye lake also. Then when you get a chance come up to channel and fish for gills some perch and also crappie and eyes .
Bob

Offline Lonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2004, 08:09 PM »
I know I'm wanting the ice to come ;D I had to sit out all last year waiting on my neck to heal.  I got two new steel plates, and some bone grafting.  But I was out in the garage tonite spraying the canvas of the sled with some camp dry.  I hope to get up to the fox chain of lakes this year.  So I hope you guys post alot of info on the area, and where to go.  I really enjoy catching those gills.

stinky

« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2004, 03:01 PM »
 Lonzo I know the feeling I had back surgery last year. I did manage to get out with a friend drilling the holes and makeing sure I had creepers on. I hope to be out as much as possible and will try to keep the bite comeing for all. I usually am out everyday if the ice is safe. As of now I am still going with a friend walleye fishing on the chain and its been great. We have been getting 6 to 8# walleye and releaseing them so that we have a good spawn next year.
Bob

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2004, 03:29 PM »
Here is a collection of maps from the chain.  They are not the most detailed, but I think that they give a nice idea of where to start exploring.  Once ice comes if any of you want to meet on the ice let me know, I am a school teacher so it is perfect for me to get out on the weekends and over winter break especially!!! 15 days of heaven!!  It would be pretty cool for all of us to meet at one of the chain lakes, so we can get to put faces with our screen names... Lets get some ICE!!

http://www.lake-online.com/chainolakes/chainolakes_maps.html

Offline varmntguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2004, 06:24 PM »
I've had my gear ready to go since abou July. already had the shack in the living room getting it ready wife thinks (knows) i'm nuts but this just took the cake. Can't  wait lets go old man winter.
Bent rods and full beers.

Venom

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2004, 08:20 AM »
Hey I'm new to the board. Just thought I would say hi.  I just moved back up here from Alabama this summer (in the military)  so this will be my first year ice fishing.  I live near Gurnee so I will be at the chain alot this winter fishing.  Just though I would say hi to everyone and maybe see some of you out there soon.
Joe

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2004, 10:43 AM »
Does anyone know where Lake Sabago is???? I found one but it is in Maine.... Maybe icemaster71 was just visiting the IL topics..... Frost on the car this morning....Should not be long...... Bring on the ice.....

stinky

« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2004, 12:40 PM »
 Venom I live in Antioch and spend many hrs. on the Fox Chain. I usually fish gills and crappies but do go after the walleye also.  There are plenty of good lakes in the northern Il and southern Wi area that have great ice fishing along with some of the harbors on Lake michigan for trout.
Bob

Offline Lonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2004, 10:05 PM »
Stinky what happened to the ice team tourney up your way this year?  I didn't see it on the schedule this year.

Offline kinkyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2004, 06:37 AM »
Yup....I'm more then ready.  Winterized the boat, and pulled out the Trap.   I always think back on a season (10 years ago?) where we got out on Thanksgiving day (Neilson's channels).  Unfortunately, it warmed up after that, and we did not see good ice again until Jan.   I remember seeing a bunch of boats "frozen"in.

Kinky

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2004, 12:39 PM »
Anyone up for some soft water fishing on the Chain this weekend.  I would love to get out one last time.  I have heard that they are taking some big gills off docks and in the shallows.  I have no boat but thinking of venturing out to some parks up there and try for some......Anyone have any specifics on where I could try this....

Dan

stinky

« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2004, 01:16 PM »
zaraspooker most of the boat rentals have quit for the season. Call Banacle Bobs at 1 847 395 2036 and find out if he is still renting boats. He is on Lake Marie just off hwy 173 in Antioch. There are some good channels in that area and you may even get into some walleyes or stripers in the 15 fow areas plus some good crappies. I have to go to Mi this weekend but the fish are there and the fishing is just starting to get better. They are drawing down the chain to winter pool so that means current current means fish on the chain. The Muskies are starting to pick up also . Have fun be safe open water or ice.
Bob

Offline Heartland

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoying The Great Outdoors in America's Heartland
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2004, 05:24 PM »
Got my Jammin' Jigs supplies, and I'm ready to start looking at heaters...anyone know who has them on sale?

stinky

« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2004, 06:32 PM »
 Lonzo they dropped 2 events one was Antioch and added one in New York. The east coast folks wanted and worked hard to get one and there was only so much time and just a small crew to handle all the events. We are hopeing to get one back but don't know for sure. There is still a local one in Reedsburg, Wi. in Feb this is about 21/2 hrs north of Antioch so that seems local to me. I was out after eyes today and they got the best of me I should have had stinger hooks but didn't.  We had 3 in the slot yesterday. It looks like it should be good fishing this winter if they keep hitting like they have been.
Bob

Offline TylersDad03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2004, 09:43 AM »
    Just got my order from jammin jigs these things look great.I cant wait to use them. hopefuly before next year.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.