The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: fishing plastics on PI bay  (Read 1428 times)

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
fishing plastics on PI bay
« on: Mar 02, 2014, 02:39 PM »
I'm new to ice fishing. I'm in the NW PA area and have been fishing the presque isle bay area a bit. I'm interested in trying out jigging some plastics, and was wondering what kind, color, etc people like to use in that area? I've read a bit about the maki plastics and am intrigued. I've been using live emerald shiners on a jig head with limited success, so I thought I might try something a bit different. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fishing plastics on PI bay
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2014, 02:43 PM »
Welcome to the sport, and welcome to the board. Just a warning though, although you may gain some new knowledge on the sport, you may lose some basic grammar skills. Remember the difference between: (to, too, two) (their, they're, there), (your, you're) and (cause and because). Im trying to get to the newbies because everyone else is a lost cause. This way when I read a contribution from you or anyone else, it'll actually make useful sense.
"Nice bass thumb, wanna see my pickerel d!ck?"

Offline chaddy721

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • wack em n stack em!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2014, 02:45 PM »

on my last trip to the bay I was using a small buckshot rattle jig tipped with a minnow head. couldn't geta fish on a whole minnow..

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2014, 03:15 PM »
Ye go e haf to get yerself sum them thare pink jigheads to then ye can get yer sulf sum fishies...hpws thet fer proper grammer....lol
A watched flag never flies

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2014, 03:22 PM »
@hustle I will keep my grammar clean!

@chaddy Thanks for the tip. I'll give minnow heads a try on my next outing. I was thinking about trying perch eyes also, in addition to plastics.

@hardwaterwalker Thanks, I've been mostly using green and chartreuse jig heads. I'll try experimenting with more pink/red colors too.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2014, 03:29 PM »
The bay fish like clean plastic,Rastso's and a lot of others. Best advice,catch some fish with bait and plastic combo together,then fish clean,switcth around till you find the right ones that trigger strikes

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Ye go e haf to get yerself sum them thare pink jigheads to then ye can get yer sulf sum fishies...hpws thet fer proper grammer....lol
Doesn't look any different than any other post from members.
"Nice bass thumb, wanna see my pickerel d!ck?"

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2014, 04:25 PM »
The bay fish like clean plastic,Rastso's and a lot of others. Best advice,catch some fish with bait and plastic combo together,then fish clean,switcth around till you find the right ones that trigger strikes

@Captain Thank you! I'll check out the Ratso jig, and try your advice about fishing with bait and then clean to find the best combinations.

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2014, 05:01 PM »
i aint belevin watt I jest red sombedy komplaneing bot our spelen in hear
Now day jst aint rite

Offline ECIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Just fished there this weekend at the Stinkhole.  I caught all my fish on a Pink Fiskas 4mm with a Little Atom micro nuggie.  These are what work best for me.  I have tried other brands like Northland Impulse Mayfly, Clam Jamei and Polli which I believe are Maki, Berkeley Fry with the tail, and Ratso.  I just always have better success with the micro nuggies.  Maybe it's just a confidence issue.  I was using clear glitter with a red tail for most of the time this weekend.  You can get these at YourBobbersDown.com or just order them from FishUSA.com.  Hope this helps, tight lines and be safe!

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Ma neither slider I jus can't believe thet rite thare  ;D
A watched flag never flies

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:10 PM »
@ECIcer thanks for the tip about nuggies, I'll check that out too. To confirm, is stink hole the little cove a little ways north of the head of the bay? As near as I can gather, that's where it is, but I don't see it marked on any maps.

Offline ECIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2014, 10:35 PM »
The stink hole is pretty close to the entrance going into PI.  You will pass two parking lots on your right and then see cars parked along the side of the road and there will be a gap in the guard rail where people drag their shanties on.  The only part of the stink hole I have fished is this area with the guard rail.  Further up is Misery bay where you will see a lot of people fishing also.  It's shallower and for me a steadier bite just not the same quality of fish.

Offline fryguy75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:54 PM »
I like glow in the dark green Ratsos with the glow in the dark jighead.  I also have used glow head with sluggo's white body and done OK.  Most recently, I have used Northland's Impulse plastics 1.25 inch and pink in color.  They are scented for the extra advantage and I have done well on them on a glow in the dark jig head.
ice...ice...baby

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:09 PM »
There are a lot of plastics out there that will work; the first step is gaining confidence by using them. I like Northland Impulse Tapeworms, Finesse by CJ+spins, Bro Bloodworms and a bunch of others; some no names. It is super important to have good balance with your jig or lure and your plastic. There are also a lot of different ways to rig them, so it's fun to experiment. I always try them out at home to make sure I like what I see; sometimes I have to adjust the length a little, or make a subtle position change on the hook. Also important is the rod and line combo; I like a super light tip but more of a medium action in the butt of the rod. Plastics open a whole new dimension to the game; enjoy!

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:28 PM »
@fryguy Thanks for the tips. I thought the northland impulse jigs looked interesting.

@van_cleaver Thanks for the advice and recommendations. What kind of line do you like, for jigging? I have been using 3lb test mono. It seems ok, so far.

I've got quite a shopping list, haha! This project may have to wait til next season, to really stock up on plastics and find which ones work best for me. I did see the northland impulse jigs up at Gander, so I might try some of those this weekend, at least. If I get a chance to try them, I'll report back here.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:24 PM »
Line preference is like everything else; ask 20 guys  and you might get twenty answers.  Personally I really like P-line floroclear. Not too expensive and florocarbon coated; it is really hard to see in clear color. I have reels spooled with 2,3, and 4#. #3 is a decent middle ground especially if you are targeting big perch. I like the 2# for tiny jigs and finicky gills, and use the 4# around cover or with heavy lures and deep water. You don't need to spend a lot on plastics; just get a few different styles and colors to start, sometimes simple is best. Grab a couple small packs and some jigs and get out and fish. If you stumble onto a good bite it will do wonders for your confidence.

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Well said,I don't even use bait much anymore.many others do the same.
Get purple,white,black,blue,red ,dark green,and pink.20 bucks in plastics will catch you a lot of fish.
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2014, 11:57 AM »
went out this weekend, picked up some purple northland impulse jigs shaped like mayfly nymphs. had some bites and landed a few clean, but felt more confident with wax worms. Caught a lot of little ones mostly, but also a couple decent sized perch. When I get a better selection of plastics next year, I'll try experimenting more and fishing without meat. Thanks again to all for the advice and help.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2014, 03:08 PM »
I also have some of the may fly nymph lures, but I like something with a long thin tail most of the time. CJ+Spins Finesse, Bros Blood worms, Northland Tapeworm, and there are probably a dozen or more others as well. Most times a steady light touch is all you need; check your motion in the hole before you drop. That way you can tell what's happening down below.

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:26 PM »
@van-cleaver What are you looking for, exactly? I'm going to get a camera for next season. I figure that will help a lot, also, so I can see what jigging techniques they respond to most.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:49 PM »
Looking for subtle movement, the longer it's sustained with the least jigging, usually the better. Some guys just drop and jig which put's you at a disadvantage. Sure on a huge bite you'll catch fish anyway, but often it's the details that make all the difference. If I'm fishing a horizontal jig I want it to be staying that way; line twist is a big fish turn off. I stretch my line before each trip on my spinning reels. If you have visible kinks, you are missing fish for sure. Knowledge is key and it is a big help to know what your lure is doing (plastic or not). Every lure and rod, line and jig combo will react slightly differently. You want to know what the fish are seeing not guess. I jig my rigs in my work room before I even get to the ice. I'm that crazy. ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.