The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fish Location  (Read 660 times)

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
Fish Location
« on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:50 PM »
I read a good book: Fishing on Ice by Noel Vick. He explains the basic equipment, locating specific fish by time of the ice season, and recommends some old reliable jigs, spoons, and bait. Lots of good stuff.
I was at four lakes this year and did not catch many panfish or perch. I usually start in about 20 ft off weeds, but I think the fish have already moved to the deep water. Surprisingly, I've been catching bass near the weeds. The perch I caught were full of eggs, and they do not seem to be active. You really have to drill to find them.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fish Location
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:37 AM »
Where can I buy the book???

Offline Black Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:45 AM »
Chez, it is available from Amazon as a used book from several sellers, priced at $7 or $8. I've had good luck with the used books, usually show up in pretty good condition.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:50 AM »
Thanks buddy @)

Offline Flyfshr125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:58 AM »
Personally i like to start at 12 ft on a weed bed and hold mu bait about a foot off the bottom and i will have tip ups set up all around to find a consistent depth for the fish then try to zero in on them.

Offline scott.mantua

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:59 AM »
I'm new to Ice Fishing, just fished a few times with my roomate from college. We always fished tipups and jigs by sounding the bottom, and then fishing 6 about inches higher than the bottom. I'm hoping to get out soon, and might target fish that aren't holding on the bottom. When you guys fish 20 feet or deeper of water, what depth would you place a minnow on a tip up?

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:30 PM »
That’s pretty much what I do too Nuangol. If my wife goes we will vary the depths of the other five until we see which ones are catching.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:18 PM »
I'm new to Ice Fishing, just fished a few times with my roomate from college. We always fished tipups and jigs by sounding the bottom, and then fishing 6 about inches higher than the bottom. I'm hoping to get out soon, and might target fish that aren't holding on the bottom. When you guys fish 20 feet or deeper of water, what depth would you place a minnow on a tip up?

Get the book Fishing on Ice by Noel Vick. You'll learn a lot. Be you can't catch em on the couch!
AKA Dinkmaster

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.