The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Smelt  (Read 1272 times)

Offline cabst119

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smelt
« on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:54 PM »
Anyone know where to get smelt in central PA or where to buy frozen smelt online??  Want to try them out for bait.

Offline mphelps

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Smelt
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:21 PM »
I believe Raystown has smelt, and I know the fingerlakes up in NY have them. Unfortunately, this is a tough time of year to get them alive.  You might call the baitshops around those lakes to see if they have them frozen.  You can also catch them up at Presque Isle, but trust me,  frozen smelt, are every bit as good as live ones.l for bait.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Hammond also has them, but would be tough to keep alive.  Would need a large tank.  I use to use frozen all the time for pike and catfish and they worked well.  Never tried them on the ice.  Good luck.  Nez

Offline Polar Bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:57 PM »
Giant Eagle . wegmans , Martins , Giant , all have frozen smelt

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2016, 09:21 PM »
Anyone know where to get smelt in central PA or where to buy frozen smelt online??  Want to try them out for bait.
any of the creeks on the west side of raystown the markelsburg side has smelt runs around the full moon its almost full, guys out in the dark with huge dip nets havent dun it was told by locals
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2016, 05:20 AM »
Hammond also has them, but would be tough to keep alive.  Would need a large tank.  I use to use frozen all the time for pike and catfish and they worked well.  Never tried them on the ice.  Good luck.  Nez

There are no smelt in Hammond lake. You may be think of the gizzard shad that are there.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2016, 06:54 AM »
Keystone Power dam in Armstrong County   Be careful out there. We lost a member of our ice fishing fraternity last year. The center of that lake is sketchy at best.  Lou

Offline Kingsford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2016, 08:49 AM »
I really want to catch some smelt through the ice at Keystone but am leary as I dont know the lake at all.

Offline MO FISH jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2016, 09:02 AM »
I really want to catch some smelt through the ice at Keystone but am leary as I dont know the lake at all.
they're everywhere in there but as Indiana Lou said its a very shaky lake.

Offline Kingsford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2016, 09:17 AM »
Thats what I have heard. I may wait and check it out this summer with my kayak.

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:19 AM »
Keystone Power dam in Armstrong County   Be careful out there. We lost a member of our ice fishing fraternity last year. The center of that lake is sketchy at best.  Lou

I seem to recall a pair of fisherman that thought it was a good idea to walk across the lake, rather than drive from one launch to the other...glad we decided to punch that test hole after your 'gut feeling'!!!  ;)

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline fishon21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2016, 12:11 PM »
Drove past KPD yesterday on my way to Cloe lake. There was no open water visible from the road. However it did not look safe to me. Nobody around the lake anywhere when I went by. Frazier's said there was open water two days ago near the dam.  Maybe some coves are ok but not main lake!

Offline westonp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:35 PM »
Keystone is spring fed. Love it in the summer on the boat and as bad as I would like to I would never put a foot on it through the ice. Too many springs scattered around the lake, 10 inches in one spot, may only be half inch feet away due to spring water being warmer than the lake at that point. Never know where they are working up through at.

Offline walleyekeeper570

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2016, 04:29 PM »
Most grocery stores sell frozen smelt. Great deep fried.

Fellas don't be confused with gizzard shad and alewife.  You need some big water for smelt.  See PFBC web link regarding rainbow smelt distribution. 

http://fishandboat.com/pafish/fishhtms/chap14smelts.htm

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2016, 06:48 PM »
Walleyekeeper, No doubt the fish in Keystone are rainbow smelt. I found them to be even nicer than the ones you catch up in the bay at Erie. I saw a couple guys fishing at night with lights on the ice. He said they filled a five gallon bucket at least half to three-quarter full of smelt the one night. I've only caught them by accident often only a few feet under the ice. As for shaky ice the center is the very last to freeze and usually is no where as thick as the edges and beyond. Complex Simon and I went from nine inches near the launch to barely two near the center. Thank goodness I started that weight watchers diet the month before! Does make you pucker when two turns of the auger and you go through.   Lou

Offline cabst119

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:09 PM »
You guys that fish them on tipups, do you rig the like a live shiner?

I'm going to get some from the store.

Offline walleyekeeper570

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2016, 09:32 AM »
Walleyekeeper, No doubt the fish in Keystone are rainbow smelt. I found them to be even nicer than the ones you catch up in the bay at Erie. I saw a couple guys fishing at night with lights on the ice. He said they filled a five gallon bucket at least half to three-quarter full of smelt the one night. I've only caught them by accident often only a few feet under the ice. As for shaky ice the center is the very last to freeze and usually is no where as thick as the edges and beyond. Complex Simon and I went from nine inches near the launch to barely two near the center. Thank goodness I started that weight watchers diet the month before! Does make you pucker when two turns of the auger and you go through.   Lou

You are correct Lou.  There are Rainbow Smelt in Keystone Lake.  I hate it when the hackles come up the back of your neck and you suddenly tip toe back to safe ice thinking you can somehow lighten the load.   Be safe out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.