The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flashers  (Read 2525 times)

Offline woodstock

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flashers
« on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:48 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a flasher for this season. This will be my first flasher and I have limited experience with using one. After researching them on the internet I'm thinking of getting the Marcum VX1 Pro. Beginners simplicity and reasonable cost. Now I would like to hear some first hand knowledge from experienced users, what you use and why. Greatly appreciate the help. :)

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flashers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2014, 03:28 PM »
I use a vintage Eagle silent sixty two, I really like the one color, and it will mark anything over 1/64 oz.  I also use a few of my buddy's fl-8's.  I like the fl-8 and think it is about all a beginner needs.  If I had my choice, and money was no option, I would go with the Marcum Lx-6, it has everything but gps.  But for now my Eagle catches me fish, so I'm sticking with it, I love vintage fishing equip.

Offline whoay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • giddy up
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2014, 03:32 PM »
go for the vx 1 pro you'll love it for your first flasher can't go wrong with the marcums..... i own two a lx 5 and an lx 6 love em both.....

Offline Basspunker182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2014, 03:40 PM »
The VX 1 Pro is a great model for the price. I picked one up at the beginning of last year's season and couldn't be happier. The battery life is great, the unit is very convenient and easy to move around with, and it has everything you need to find fish. The zoom feature is great and comes in handy more than you think. The newer models definitely have advances in the sonar, electronics and options, but come at a stiff increase in price.

Offline fishinpreacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2014, 04:14 PM »
I bought a VX -1 Pro 4 years ago and I love it! I have never had a problem with it. It does everything you NEED a flasher to do at a fairly reasonable price. Now I have thought about getting a higher end unit with more bells and whistles and letting my boys use the VX-1, but the VX-1 works great.   You will be amazed at how much difference a flasher makes!

Offline iceauger57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:55 PM »
been using a marcum showdown last 4 seasons its idiot proof go on line and see the videos on marcum sight you will agree 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2014, 04:19 AM »
been using a marcum showdown last 4 seasons its idiot proof go on line and see the videos on marcum sight you will agree

x2 I have a Showdown Dual Beam and it's as simple as can be, top of the screen is the top of the water column and the bottom is the bottom of the water column, make an index card of the button combinations you need to switch between a few options, and 1/2 inch target separation.  The difference between the Showdown Dual Beam and Showdown is with the Dual Beam you can switch between an eight and twenty degree sonar beam. 

Offline NY_BLUES

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2014, 04:25 AM »
X3 on the showdown dual beam.  I bought one after using a dial type flasher and I like the one color compared to the multiple colors of most dial flashers.

Offline Fishbones'

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Listen to Slayer.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:12 AM »
I can vouch for the VX1P.  Awesome unit for the price.  You won't be disappointed!!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2014, 01:00 PM »
I have a Showdown DB and a Hummingbird Ice 35.  Like both of them, but the Showdown is far superior to it.  I also like the vertical presentation of the screen.  This does not seem to affect my eyes as much as the flashes as I don't get headaches with the showdown.  Only thing that would make the showdown better would be to have color screen…HINT MARCUM ;)

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2014, 01:18 PM »
I like the Humminbird ice 35. And it is real simple to.use.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Any Vexilar you can afford.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2014, 05:10 PM »
if you fish from a boat and enjoy your sonar view, then take a look at lowrance units. They have older units priced cheaper than the other comparable units that don't do as much as they do. The M68C even has built in GPS as well as a flasher and sonar. I'd much rather use sonar with a memory trac than watch lines or lights spinning. It's also real time. No lag. Amazon may still carry some models. I enjoyed mine so much that I bought their newer model, Elite 5 ice machine, last season. What ever you choose will help upgrade your fishing.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2014, 05:41 PM »
Umm.. Your choice but I'd go vexilar.  ;D

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2014, 05:55 PM »
I went digital, in the form of an LX6, last year and would never go back to a flasher. If I were to look in the opening price point area I would go with a Lowrance Elite 4 Ice Machine( very close in price to VX1). Im not downplaying any of the flasher units as far as which is best, I am just saying that having the options of a chart and a bar, along with the flasher, is a lot better. The chart works amazing to see bottom hugging fish as it plays across the screen and you can see a hump in the chart. The flasher will pick it up but it is up to you to see if your "bottom/fish" has moved between the dashes on the side and you cant recall where it was just seconds before. Another good thing about the Lowrance Elite 4 is that it has the chartplotter to mark and keep track of spots as well as find spots on a lot of lakes. I currently do not own the Elite 4 but have seen one in action, and for the cost, would not go any other direction.

There is also the Lowrance Elite 4x ice machine which saves you some cash, but gives up the chartplotter, should you not need it.
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline Notar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2014, 06:18 AM »
I use a vintage Eagle silent sixty two, I really like the one color, and it will mark anything over 1/64 oz.  I also use a few of my buddy's fl-8's.  I like the fl-8 and think it is about all a beginner needs.  If I had my choice, and money was no option, I would go with the Marcum Lx-6, it has everything but gps.  But for now my Eagle catches me fish, so I'm sticking with it, I love vintage fishing equip.

Ditto! I use the same unit and can mark the same fish as the higher end units.  Vintage is a great way to get started with minimal cost while making you a great flash reader!!

Offline Mike Reilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:09 PM »
i think any flasher out their is better then none i got a marcum 5 last year wont fish with out it good luck

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:43 PM »
I have a VX-1 unit as my secondary flasher for the kids or if I fish with someone who doesn't have electronics.  I fish with a Vex 28 as my primary.  I have found the VX-1 to be a great flasher.  Reliable and easy to use.  I have had 0 problems with mine.  You can find them used on Craigslist here for under $200 pretty regularly here.  You get the same features as a Vexilar FL 18 but for about half the price.  If you are just looking to get a flasher and don't want to spend $500, it is a great option. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:10 AM »
I got the h-bird ice 55 on super sale and my buddy got the marcum 5 we fish side by side and both have increased production. Any flasher is better then no flasher.

Offline woodstock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Thanks guys. Got a lot of great info from you all. ;D

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:13 PM »
I love my Vexilars.  I have an FL8 and a FL12.  Durability and longevity are a factor for me.  My units are old and they keep on showing us fish, year after year.  They are also extremely easy to use.  I personally wouldn't buy another brand.
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:53 AM »
I use a Vexilar fl18.
Why.I love it and,it dose everything i need it 2 do.
Its 7 years old and never let me down.
I think all units are good.
Bottom zoom is great in a unit.
Good Luck.

icewagon

« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:06 AM »
No flasher for me  :tipup:

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2014, 07:43 PM »
I'd get a new shanty first! ;D

I was at Field and Stream last evening (walked out with nothing BTW) and looked at a Lowrance Elite 4 HDI - @$300. I'd like an Elite 5, but the 4 seems like a pretty good machine for 1/2 the money.

Offline woodstock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:24 PM »
Lol, I think I'll just fix the broken rod on the old one. I don't think the missus is going to let me spend any more money on ice fish for a while. I settled for the Marcum. Found an internet deal from Field and Stream for less than I could walk out of the store with it. It will be here Monday. On an other note. I had 1" of good clear ice on my lake 3 days ago. I'm going to try it tomorrow. We'll see.

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:29 PM »
i have a lx-9, showdown dual beam,lx-5

i bleed red for life

Offline Theicemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 22, 2014, 06:47 AM »
I have a vexlar fl8 se. Wouldn't leave home with out it !

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:43 AM »
No flasher for me  :tipup:

We know that from last year brother.!!!!
Good Luck this year.No wars.Lol.
Stay Safe :)

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2014, 02:52 PM »
I use a vexilar fl18  I never let the battery run low because I use it mostly in the winter but also out of my boat in summer as well,I think I would rather forget my fishing rods than my vex when I go out .

Offline cderr12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2014, 06:14 PM »
I broke down and bought a vex last year.. By far best purchase.. I love it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.