The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Smelt Bait  (Read 966 times)

Offline stevekopec

• IceShanty Rookie
Smelt Bait
« on: Feb 25, 2014, 05:59 PM »
Anybody know where I can get whole (frozen or otherwise) smelt for use as bait?  Used to use these up in Wisconsin and they were great for catching pike through the ice.  The local grocery stores have them cleaned (no heads or guts), but I'm hoping to find them whole.  Chester county area.

Offline JustTheTip?

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Smelt Bait
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2014, 06:08 PM »
You can order them online here: http://dgbait.com/

I've purchased the whole smelt and herring before and have had good results - they come sealed in jars with twist off lids which are great for storing and transporting, and they're marinated in a pickle type sauce that seems to really give off a nice scent trail.  G'luck!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You have to set yourself on fire."

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2014, 09:30 PM »
i tried smelt quite a few times this year including today maybe 3 flags whole season everyone dropped it shiners did ok but 2 out of 3 times the fish would take the creek chubs over the shiners only problem is theyre getting scarce now not getti.g very many in my traps anymore
A watched flag never flies

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2014, 08:21 AM »
You can go to raystown in spring n net them In creeks by the hundreds and freeze them yourself. Only can do it during the spawn at night in the spring

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline sloughdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2014, 07:34 PM »
The bait shop nearest Canoe Creek sells them 5-6" packs and 7-8" packs. Canoe Mountain Outfitters is TE bait shop.

It's my understanding the smelt spawn at Raystown has really dropped off.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2014, 09:05 PM »
They cycle. Kinda like the grouse populations.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline stevekopec

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2014, 06:00 PM »
I found them at the Asian Grocery market!  Nice and cheap too.  $4.59 for 2 pounds.  That should last me a while.  Sure beats the $50 S&H costs from DG Baits.

Offline sloughdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Are the smelt you got whole with guts and heads on?  That's a great price.  Where is the market located?

Offline stevekopec

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2014, 05:19 AM »
Are the smelt you got whole with guts and heads on?  That's a great price.  Where is the market located?

Yes, whole with guts and head.  Not huge, but there are at least $5 worth of big ones in there.  Found them at Gong's Market at Rte, 30 and 401, in Malvern.  It's all the way in the back corner of the strip mall.  There's a tiny sign.   If you don't know it's there, you'll never find it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.