New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver lake fishing  (Read 115686 times)

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Silver lake fishing
« Reply #270 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:59 PM »
Now with the snow gone and the ground softening up please be careful where you park and respect all access points.  At the end of Standpipe Rd the vacant area just past the orange fence is not a parking area, it is a lawn for the cottages across the road. We will lose all parking on Standpipe Rd if erratic parking keeps up.  It may not be Ice Shanty fishermen but I wanted to get the word out.  Respect the cottage owners property. Thanks guys.

Offline jdrushler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #271 on: Feb 16, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Hope to get out on silver Monday.  Got hour and half drive.  If anyone knows conditions please let me know.  Fished it a few years ago and getting back into ice fishing.  Heard it had 14 inches of ice so hope that holds up.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #272 on: Feb 17, 2018, 08:59 PM »
Went out of the Golf Course on West Side today.  Shore ice and main ice is solid but slick and all the drain holes from mid week are froze solid and do not spud through.  Main ice is still a good 14".  It was freezing all day from 7:30 until we left at dark.  The morning holes we used were iced over with a 1/4" when we came back to them at 3:00.  We started on the West side then walked across the lake to the 35 FOW out from Perry Beach, then walked down off Standpipe Rd to the 30 FOW and the ice conditions were the same all over.  Bite was slow today with only a few perch taken.  Will be excellent ice conditions tomorrow morning at the North end.  One danger area to avoid is the creek that enters the lake to the right side of the Golf Course ramp.  Make a big swing out into the lake if you are going to head south.

Offline jdrushler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #273 on: Feb 18, 2018, 07:02 PM »
Headed out in the morning.  Hope conditions will be good.  Let you know if ice is good.  Let me know if not

Offline dru68

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #274 on: Feb 18, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Good Luck! Got out there two weeks ago and only caught three keepers.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #275 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:25 PM »
I just got back from checking and walking on Silver Lake ice at 3:30 pm.

1) State Launch SW corner - one 6 ft wide area still has ice to the shore and easy to get on.  I walked out 25 yds and cut a hole 8 " ice, 50 yds out still 8".
2.) Traber Rd. - Shore ice along the concrete wall is melted 2 feet away and can not access there.
3.) Golf Course - The access area still has ice to the shore all long the pier and easy to get on.  I walked out 25 yds and cut a hole 8 " ice, 50 yds out  7".  Very important: stay away from the creek on the right side of the pier.
4.) Standpipe Rd. - Just North of  the large gray house, the snowmobile access has melted out about 2 feet, but one good step and I was on solid ice.  You guys may want a plank at this area.  Directly out from Standpipe Rd at the base of the steep hill, there is still ice to the shore and easy to get on.  Stay away from the drain pipe to the right side.   I walked out 25 yds and cut a hole 9 " ice, 50 yds out still 9".  At this access area there are a few large cracks that are still locked together for now.  Talked 3 guys coming back from the far Northwest corner for gills.  They  said gill bite was slow and not worth it today.
5.) Perry Public Beach - Shore ice along the concrete wall is melted away about 6", but I was able to get onto the ice easy.   I walked out 25 yds and cut a hole 9 " ice, 50 yds out still 9".  At this access area there are also a few cracks that are still locked together for now.
6.) I forgot about Macks but I would assume it to be the same.

No snow on the ice and very little slush, but extremely slippery.  You will be able to see any bad areas so stay alert.

Temp at the lake was 42F , and on my way home it started to rain when I went through Java.  Tonight will be around freezing but not much ice making.
  This is a report only from 3:30 today with 42F temp and you make your own decision.  NO ICE IS SAFE ALWAYS USE CAUTION

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #276 on: Feb 24, 2018, 10:04 PM »
Went out of Perry Public Beach from 7:30am - 5:00pm.  The shore ice cracks that were locked together yesterday were open today a few inches.  The shore ice sections floating free were large enough to support a persons weight when crossing to get to the main ice.  When coming back in the shore cracks were opened about 6" but ice sections still supported a persons weight and easily crossed to get to the shore.  Main ice was 7" at the end of  the day and the top 1" was getting soft.  There were a few large man eater holes out there so we had to stay alert.  The perch bite was the best so far this season, two of us together kept (42) 8-9" perch and threw back a doz or so smaller ones.  One other hut came out near us in the afternoon and the father and son kept 12 perch.  I have tried and tried to post the shore ice and perch pictures taken with an IPhone but no luck.  I can't get the photos off the IPhone and into my computer.  I stopped at Standpipe Rd on my way home and there were still 5 vehicles there and guys were still out.  Shore ice there was the same as posted above, loose and large floating sections.  Extreme caution tomorrow if you go out.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #277 on: Mar 18, 2018, 09:38 PM »
Made a spur of the moment decision to go to Silver when my buddy called at 12:00 noon.  Shore ice at Perry Public Beach and Standpipe was solid with 6" of slush on top for the 1st 50 ft. out.  Spud did not go through with 3 heavy whacks.  The main ice was 10" thick (5" dark and 5" white but solid) with 2-3" of snow on top.  There were quit a few huts out of Standpipe, some fishing the East side and the rest over at the Northwest corner.  3 huts out of Perry Public Beach along with us.   We fished from 1 to 6:30 pm and the two of us kept (20) 8-9" perch and through back another doz. shorts.  Still further South across from Silver Grove there were 2 more huts.  No one any further South then that.  This is only a report, you make the decision and if you go use caution.

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #278 on: Mar 23, 2018, 11:22 PM »
Got out with Frankie bags afterwork today.  Great to be on the ice again. Entered at public beach area. Solid from the first step to the last.  Met a nice guy coming off the lake when we entered.  He had 15 decent perch in his bucket, happy as good be.    He had a bucket a spud and two rods. That’s it. Love how people can make it work running light gear like that. Ice was 4 inches clear and about 4 white everywhere we popped holes. Slow bite for us.  Kept 3 perch at 9 inches and caught 10 crappie but no keepers. This weekend should be solid but that is just my opinion based on the holes we popped today.  We bumped the spud all the way out just to be safe.  Enjoy a late season bonus and good luck finding some keepers. First time i have fished Silver, tuff lake being that its seems lke its 30 to 35 feet everywhere. 

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #279 on: Mar 24, 2018, 08:45 PM »
Yes, mostly 30-35’. Except shallow north and south ends which can be a panfish and pike bonanza when the ice is good.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #280 on: Mar 24, 2018, 10:27 PM »
Went out of Perry Public Beach today Sat, was 16 degrees when we arrived at the lake at 7:30 am and minor ice formed on holes all day.  Shore ice was froze solid and main ice was still 10" thick (5'' of blk with 5" of wht  with 1-2" of snow on top.  The snow is protecting the ice from thawing.  No ice has been lost since last Sat.  Fished 32 FOW and kept 56 perch 8-10" between me and my buddy.  3 of them were over 10".  Threw back at least 30 more shorts under 8".  Perch eyes were the trick today.  Tomorrow and Mon will be no problem getting out and I do not think the upper 40's and 50's on Tues, Wed and Thurs will destroy what  ice there is now.

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #281 on: Mar 24, 2018, 11:04 PM »
Great catch perch chaser. Some nice perch in that pile. Lots of people out today? Beautiful day for it!!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #282 on: Mar 24, 2018, 11:43 PM »
Great catch perch chaser. Some nice perch in that pile. Lots of people out today? Beautiful day for it!!
Ya, great day out but I got a little sun burn on the face.  I fished with my hut 1/2 open all day, too nice to have it flip closed.  To answer your above question about lake depth:  This lake is a quick drop off to 32-35 FOW all along the East side and more qradual on the West side, shallow both ends.   There is a 40 ' hole just South of the Golf Course on the West side.  No structure on the bottom.  The complete lake is a mud bottom flat and the perch feed on blood worms burrowed in the mud.  Bigger perch hang out in the deep water as I found today in 32 FOW.  Good luck if you go again.

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #283 on: Mar 25, 2018, 06:12 AM »
i fished friday and had no problem getting a limit of perch
most that i kept were 8.5 -10 inches
did mix some in in 11 range
went back sat till 10;30 and kept 21 more around same size
char tungsten jig and spikes for me
friday afternoon was crazy i had 5 feet of fish on my vex and when my jig got 10 feet from bottom they would come up to meet it
also caught a s//t ton of small crappie
as perch chaser said today and tomorrow should be ok but after that i think ice is leaving
just an opinion

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #284 on: Mar 25, 2018, 10:43 AM »

Great catch. I'm definitely ready for a warm up but it's nice to be able to get on some ice in the mean time. I thought it was over a month ago...boy was I wrong.

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #285 on: Mar 25, 2018, 08:38 PM »
took a run to lake about 4 was out of there by 6 with 26 nice perch ,could of probably limited out if i stayed.. screen was full bottom 5 feet with fish and they wernt shy
tungsten jig with either mousies or spikes worked for me
didnt want to clean anymore than that bunch today,had agreat weekend there but alot of fileting!!!!!!!!!
may stop on way home from work tomorrow
good luck stay safe top was getting soft where i was today

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #286 on: Mar 25, 2018, 08:47 PM »
Good job got any good pic's?

The "Spring Perch Bite" ain't it great??  I live for it but the last few years I had withdrawals.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #287 on: Mar 26, 2018, 01:30 AM »
been great fishing it past 3 weekends. just cant believe not many has really been on it. this past wknd  had a crowd though. ice has been in great shape. lotta perch, big gills and chasin' crappies. got quite a bit of fillets in freezer just from this month.  lotta people missed out on some good ice fishing...... oh well   :roflmao:   I did get a nice sunburn on Saturday  ;D  ...hoping the weather wont kill it by next wknd. main sheet should hold but access may be difficult.
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #288 on: Mar 26, 2018, 05:01 PM »
i have pics on my phone ,but no idea how to get them on here

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #289 on: Mar 26, 2018, 05:35 PM »
i have pics on my phone ,but no idea how to get them on here
Download the pic's from your phone to your computer in My PC and in any folder that you store your pic's in or make a folder named pictures.  Once you have them in your computer it is simple.  Go and make your post on Ice Shanty as you usually do and and when you want to add a pic go to the bottom of the post window click on "add image to post" when the post image window opens click on add images and the MY PC menu
 in your computer will open.  Scroll to the folder where your pic's are and click on the picture you want to add and then click on open at the bottom of the window.  Picture now added to the post.    Did you get out today?  I am coming to Silver tomorrow.  Good luck

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #290 on: Mar 26, 2018, 06:35 PM »
lol ok....now i gotta figure out how to get pictures from phone to computer!! guess thats first step !
didnt make it to lake today ,worked late
buddie of mine went today said he marked tons of fish but not many takers 
im planning on wed now after work,weather not looking to warm till thur with rain

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #291 on: Mar 26, 2018, 07:05 PM »

this is a trial run perch chaser hope it worked,my wife is trying to train me ,haha

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #292 on: Mar 26, 2018, 09:45 PM »
You got it now.  I'll post when I get home Tues night.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #293 on: Mar 27, 2018, 04:23 PM »
Went out of Perry Public Beach today Tues, was 34 degrees when we arrived at the lake at 7:30 am and 37 degrees when we left. 
Shore ice was still good to the shore and main ice was still 10" thick (5'' of blk with 5" of wht)  but snow on top was spotty. 
Fished 32 FOW only kept 20 perch 8-9" between me and my brother, a little smaller then Sat. 
The bite was finicky, had only a  few marks of fish under us most of the morning but a solid 3' of fish under us in the afternoon but not many takers.  Must have been the cold front and rain. 
Rained from 11 - 4pm but did not hurt the ice, only a few puddles. 
Three vehicles also at Standpipe Rd and guys out on the ice. 

Good luck and stay safe if you go.

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #294 on: Mar 27, 2018, 06:54 PM »
thanks for report perch chaser im hoping to get done working early tomorrow and go out in afternoon ill report if i do ,maybe even post another pic if i can get them 
haha

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #295 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:15 PM »
well went off standpipe one last time tonight
got there about 4 no one else there
shore ice was broke up but i got on with my knee boots
got out to holes ive been doing good ,didnt mark nearly the fish i have been
kept 10 decent perch threw back a couple along with small crappie
thats it for me... ice real soft
sitting on pail i could rub my boot into ice with ease
so that puts my 2017-18 ice season to rest,but it was one of the best i ever had
time for open water!!!!!!!!!!!`

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #296 on: Mar 28, 2018, 09:02 PM »
well went off standpipe one last time tonight
got there about 4 no one else there
shore ice was broke up but i got on with my knee boots
got out to holes ive been doing good ,didnt mark nearly the fish i have been
kept 10 decent perch threw back a couple along with small crappie
thats it for me... ice real soft
sitting on pail i could rub my boot into ice with ease
so that puts my 2017-18 ice season to rest,but it was one of the best i ever had
time for open water!!!!!!!!!!!`
You didn't happen to look at the shore ice at the Perry Public Beach did ya?  I carry a 2X10 10ft long this time of the year, would that span the open shore water you had to wade through today?

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #297 on: Mar 29, 2018, 04:14 AM »
yea it would where i was at ,it was only two or 3 steps in broken ice to get on to get on ice,if ya go ,good luck like i said its getting soft 

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #298 on: Mar 29, 2018, 02:47 PM »
Thanks for info.  Can't get out til Sat so I'll take a drive with my partner and see what it looks like then. 
The South end has opened up quit a bet and with the ice not locked to the shore anymore their is a chance the main ice sheet may drift to the South and open the North and East shore more. 
Definitely with a North or East wind the main ice will move away from the East shore with the South end open.

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #299 on: Mar 29, 2018, 08:06 PM »
dont look good pc been pouring here not far from lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.