Author Topic: malin boa no kink  (Read 14911 times)

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
malin boa no kink
« on: Oct 24, 2007, 03:43 AM »
was wondering if this stuff crimps very good or if you should just tie it to make quick strike rigs?? what knots work best?? was think of just going with a good old clinch knot.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: malin boa no kink
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2007, 05:19 AM »
I would tie it just like you were going to.  Use pliers to tighten the knot.  You'll get a feel for how hard to pull after doing a few.  It is amazing how much stretch there is in that stuff.  If you have not used it before you are going to be impressed!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2007, 05:37 AM »
On the package they show you what knots that you can use.  It is really good stuff and worth the money. I just used the standard clinch knot they showed.

Ken                                          

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2007, 06:42 AM »
Like Bean just said, I saw him use it all last winter and he did good with it getting everything from perch to walleye and pike. However, I made some leaders to use this summer for pike fishing and wans't completly impressed. When we were fishing we were ripping jig's and spinners through heavy weeds and had several break. I liked the fact that they never got any kinks but loosing 4 and 5 dollar spinners upset me a little. I think it is very good for through the ice but I'm going to keep searching for something to use on open water.
     Jim

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2007, 10:11 AM »
I just got some for the up coming season. I made up about 15 leaders and all tied.   Brought some into work and 4 more guys are going to pick some up. Awesome stuff     

Used a little last week. I did not have any break in the weeds, but I wasn't in  heavy cabbage either.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2007, 12:01 PM »
i'm going with 60# so  hopefully i won't have any breakage problems

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2007, 03:09 PM »
You should be able to bring in the lochness monster through an 8" hole with #60.

Good luck..   You will really like the stuff..

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2007, 08:48 AM »
ive tried it for muskie and found it worked good but was a pain to tie. tried crimping it but had it slip out of the sleeve several times. thank god there wasnt a fish on! ill stick w/ my strand stainless. alot cheaper to replace and easier to work with.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2007, 03:32 AM »
I have been using the Malin Boa No-Kink for years. I know for a fact I was one of the first people on this site to really start using the Malin wire and telling people how great it is. There is no better leader material to use through the ice for big toothy critters especially line shy fish. I have never had a need to use anything heavier than the 40 lb and usually go with the 30. I have landed many a pike in the high teens and a couple over 20 and I have never had one break me off. Works great for big walleye and lakers as well. Still lots of guys that swear by their flouro but I have convinced quite a few that the Malin wire is better. Just ask Bean. It really isnt all that difficult to tie either once you get the hang of it. A little more difficult than manipulating regular line but well worth the trouble. Just use the standard clinch knot that Bean has pictured. Once you pull the tag end through the loop far enough that it wont pull back out on the hook side, do the swivel end the same way. Then grab the tag ends on each side with a pair of pliers (on each end) and pull until the wire stretches. Thats all you need. The knot will not pull loose. Clip the tag ends with a pair of fingernail clippers and your good to go. Do be careful handling these leaders because those tag ends are like little needles and will stick you good if your not careful. Trust me I know.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2007, 08:11 PM »
Here's where I 've been getting mine.  Also noticed that Cabelas has something similar now but have not tried it yet.
http://www.tackledirect.com/malinboanokink.html

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2007, 11:07 PM »
I found the 30# No-kink for $16.50 + s/h per 30 foot roll, but you have to order $75 worth of stuff to process the order. If anyone knows where to get it cheaper, or would be interested in ordering 30# or any other size; let me know, and I will sell it for the price of the roll + s/h to you. I would be interested in getting 1-2 rolls of it for myself.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2007, 11:44 PM »
That is absolutely an excellant price whatpole. Anyone that needs some or wants to try it would be smart to take you up on that offer. I usually use the 30 lb which is $22.99 or the 40 lb which is $26.99 for a 30' spool through my source. I will post the link where I get it below. What pound test is the stuff you can get at that price? Dont think I need any but at that price I might have to see how much I have.

IceTroll
     :callcops:
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2007, 11:54 PM »
That is absolutely an excellant price whatpole. Anyone that needs some or wants to try it would be smart to take you up on that offer. I usually use the 30 lb which is $22.99 or the 40 lb which is $26.99 for a 30' spool through my source. I will post the link where I get it below. What pound test is the stuff you can get at that price? Dont think I need any but at that price I might have to see how much I have.

IceTroll
     :callcops:
It is the 30#, I will be willing to take orders if anyone wants any. I would have to order $75 worth to get it though (I don't think it would have to be all the same # though). Icetroll, I sent you a PM.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2007, 06:37 AM »
Whatpole,  I sent you a PM.

Nice to see you back on IceTroll.
Ken                                          

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2007, 08:10 AM »
Here is the website so everyone can see what they have. http://www.wireleader.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=WL So far I have an order for 1-10# and 2-30#. Anyone else want anything?

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2007, 08:33 AM »
I will place an order this Monday (12-10-07), so if anyone wants any, PM me, or put it on here. It looks like the more we buy, the shipping goes from about $3.00/spool for 5 items to about $1.60 for 10 spools. So, the more there is, the cheaper it will be all around. Currently, I do have enough to fullfill the $75.00 order.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2007, 11:28 AM »
i need some more, got any problems shipping some to a canuck?? i could use two spools one 35 and one 60. can't beat that price!!

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:36 PM »
i need some more, got any problems shipping some to a canuck?? i could use two spools one 35 and one 60. can't beat that price!!
I don't see much of a problem, the shipping from me to you will probably be a little more.

On Monday I will post what everybody wants, so they can double check that it is right. When the stuff shows up, I will post a list on here of what everybody owes (minus the shipping from me to you, which shouldn't be much), and we can exchange PM's for shipping and payment details. It looks like it takes 1-2 weeks for them to process the order, so when I get it, I will get it mailed out ASAP.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:47 PM »
most online stores hose you for shipping anyways so i definitely don't mind paying a little extra.

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2007, 09:11 AM »
Anybody else want in on this? I will make the order today (12-10-07) @ 10:00 MST.
  • Gamedog           1-30, 1-40
  • Bean                 1-10
  • MeadowPikeman  1-35, 1-60
  • Me                    3-30
  • "Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • "The Kokanee Killers"
    « Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2007, 11:43 PM »
    Dang, just got mine last week.  I put together my first 4 quick strikes and they came out awesome.  Tried to tie it first and didn't like how it came out so went to the crimp and they hold great.  Can't wait to try them.  Got mine from Tackle direct.... 

...timing is everything!

Good Fishing :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
    Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
    © 1996- Iceshanty.com
    All Rights Reserved.