Author Topic: New member with a quick question  (Read 8818 times)

Offline mrcrowley138

• IceShanty Rookie
  • La Crosse, WI
New member with a quick question
« on: Aug 20, 2007, 09:22 AM »
So for most of the open water season I have been focusing on one bay that has really been producing.   I was just wondering if the pattern will most likely continue through ice fishing season also.  Should I target the same places I have been getting fish all year, or do the pikes move out of the bays in winter? Thanks in advance.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
Re: New member with a quick question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2007, 10:21 AM »
Whats the deepest water in the bay?

Generally I catch most of my big pike in 8-14 ft of water throughout most of the winter.  You will catch pike in the bays all year, winter and summer but the bigger ones will move deeper at certain times.  At first ice you should be safe in fishing the bay for awhile as pike should still be in there from their fall patterns, but you will likely have to move deeper for the mid-winter months especially if you are after something of size.  But come last ice start checking near or in the bay again as they will be starting to move shallow preparing to spawn. 

Good luck!

Offline mrcrowley138

• IceShanty Rookie
  • La Crosse, WI
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2007, 03:50 PM »
The bay reaches about 18 ft I believe at it's deepest which is why I think I was able to still catch nice northerns through the summer months.  So given the fact that it gets fairly deep, is it more likely that they would be here in the winter?

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2007, 05:24 PM »
If the bay is 18 feet than they should be there all winter if there is enough of this deep water.  Look for any substantial dropoffs that drop into this 18ft water and fish the edge and also up on top of any flats close to this deep water.  If there are any weed edges that you can see in the fall, fish along them at first ice (a GPS may be useful).

So if you haven't already, get out there with a depth finder and do some searching in preparation for the hardwater.

If there is any creeks flowing into the bay you could try around them too, especially at first (be careful) and last ice.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2007, 01:26 PM »
like master angler said look for steep drop offs. Fish this bay as hard as you can during first ice. If after the first couple weeks it starts becoming hard to find them then your going to have to move a little deeper. Make sure it isnt just a bad day though before you move thinking that the fish are gone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.