Author Topic: Norwegian Pike hooks  (Read 15037 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Norwegian Pike hooks
« on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:22 PM »
I have seen these weird looking hooks many times in stores and have wonder how would a hook like that ever keep a fish on, especially pike that have such a hard mouth?
 How do you bait this hook?
Does anyone out there fish with this hook? If so how do you like them? 
 :blink:

WW

grumpymoe

Re: Norwegian Pike hooks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:29 PM »
I have seen these weird looking hooks many times in stores and have wonder how would a hook like that ever keep a fish on, especially pike that have such a hard mouth?

WW
...WW....fished with them many years...not recently......its actually amazing that pike hit the presentation and no trouble at all keeping them on as long as you have tension on the line.....seldom do you lose one.....smelts...herri ng....similar size bait....take the hook end and push it through the mouth....inside....and exit the back...the bait sits perfectly level and natural......this hook has been around for many years and is very successful with small to large wolves.....sure beats placing Nails in the bait for weight!!!....Grump

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:32 PM »
are these what u are talking about
Sax

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:51 PM »
Yep that's them, the ones I have seen have been even bigger than that. They would have roughly been 4 inches long at the bottom to the curve and 3 from the curve to the eye.
Interesting design they are like those prehistoric hooks I have seen made out of bone and wood. 8)
How deep do they hook a fish? Those prehistoric ones were not designed for catch and release, the fish ate the bait and was hooked by the gut. :P

WW

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:07 PM »
Yep that's them, the ones I have seen have been even bigger than that. They would have roughly been 4 inches long at the bottom to the curve and 3 from the curve to the eye.
Interesting design they are like those prehistoric hooks I have seen made out of bone and wood. 8)
How deep do they hook a fish? Those prehistoric ones were not designed for catch and release, the fish ate the bait and was hooked by the gut. :P

WW
...match the size of the bait to the hook size....plain and simple.....there's lots of oldtimer prairie fishermen that know nothing else but.....WW....I still have some.....and they DO work!!!....Grump

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:25 PM »
would you consider using these over trebles or circle hooks ? What are the advantages of these things  ???
Sax

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:47 PM »
would you consider using these over trebles or circle hooks ? What are the advantages of these things  ???
...WW...these hooks would NOT work in Colorado....however... ...your presentation is natural......pike love to naturally slam bait from the side as alot of fish do....the hook protrudes from the back (just offset from centre)....and the hookset is natural....so much for wire leaders......or prominent gauge hooks.....these work best on most exclusively on tipups....there really is no other application that can be used.....a little naturally occurring line twist keeps the bait moving ever so gently.....first run let em go....start of the second run....wait 5 seconds and start pulling hard but steady....have fun....Grump

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:54 PM »
I might have to give one a try on a tip  :o
Sax

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:55 PM »
I used to use these alot when I was a kid fishing with my uncles and dad.  Thats all we used for the small northerns in a few local lakes.  I have since switched to quickstrike rigs, or one treble hook and smelt, I find I get more hook-ups. When I used these I hooked them opposite of grump, I exited the hook end near the head, and my reasoning was the fish would swallow them head first therefore hook end first.  The only thing I like about them now is the hook is the weight. Give them a try though, they work and you may like them!!

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2005, 05:23 PM »
i have always seen those in local bait shops and found them in old tackle boxes at garage sale and always wondered what the heck they were. now i wish i wouldnt have thrown them away  :-[

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:55 PM »
I remember using them as a kid, but can't remember how deep they swallowed it?
TEAM ALASKA

grumpymoe

« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2005, 06:50 AM »
I remember using them as a kid, but can't remember how deep they swallowed it?
...They don't Jim...Grump

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2005, 06:24 AM »
Another new hook to try, never noticed these on the shevles at the local tackel shop

how would you bait that bad boy?

grumpymoe

« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2005, 05:38 PM »
Another new hook to try, never noticed these on the shevles at the local tackel shop

how would you bait that bad boy?

...two different options....depends on bait size...but you can take the hookpoint end and push it through the mouth and exit the point out the back...or in the anus and push the point just out of the mouth....bait should sit level....I prefer the first....Grump

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2005, 05:31 PM »
I never used them because I heard (a lot of years ago) that a lot of small pike were killed by using them. Never gave it much thought since then. Do you set the hook differently with these? Do you set the hook sooner or something? I always dead baited with a single hook at the end of a lindy rig with a treble hook that slides above the single hook.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

grumpymoe

« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2005, 08:30 PM »
these hooks do not kill pike PERIOD....MM and I laughed as we walked off the lake yesterday.....to our amazement, the local was using Norwegian hooks....and baiting with the mushiest most amazing disgusting smelts you could attach......walk by.....fish on.....up to the truck.....another...2 nice northerns in a matter of minutes........to each their own.......Grump

Offline suckerbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2005, 11:40 AM »
I read an article on these hooks not to long ago. I am trying to locate the article, but have not been able to find it. I thought it was on esoxhunter.com. They where trying to make these hooks illegal in a few states due to the fact it does kill undersized fish. I know Wisconsin was one of the states mentioned, but I can't recall the other states. You may want to check the regulations before using this hook. If I find the article I will post the location.

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:06 PM »
I will agree with masterangler on this one. Quick strikes are waaaaayyyyyyy more effecient. Better hook ups, more forgiving when playing the fish, ect......I think of it like this sure everyone use to use their old smooth bore 12ga for whitetails but why use it now when you can use a rifled slug barrel. To me its just common since. Not saying it doesn't work just that there are better more effecient methods.

Jeremy

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2006, 05:40 PM »

WW

I think this is what Water Wolf is referring to ??? I used them in ND with great success, and have a few I am using for pike here in Alaska but the bite has been slow lately. Found these on http://www.mustad.no/catalog/product.php?id=144

FF

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2006, 06:08 PM »
Fished those style hooks FF with sand shrimp in heavy tidal current.  Couldn't see why they wouldn't work on herring or smelt.  I don't know about the gap?  Seems toooo small for pike.  I'd think they'd swallow it to they're digestive hole? :D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2007, 09:13 AM »
These are not the Norweigan pike hooks that I was thinking. If you think of a triangle, now remove one of the sides, that is the shape of it. Just to be sure everyone is on the right page when talking about these:

My uncle used them in Ontario years ago. He didn't like because you sometimes had drops because when a pike grabbed the bait, it would take a second deeper grab, but when it felt the top of the metal on its nose, it would spit immediately because something wasn't right. Especially on the bigger pike.
He told me you have about 4 seconds to start pulling the fish in otherwise it spits.

When fighting a fish you have more leverage because you are lifting up on the underside of fishes mouth. Leverage is working with you. Most pike he caught this way were damaged in mouth so he didn't feel right releasing them.

Not sure if these are the hooks Grump is talking about but these are what my uncle and friends call Norweigan pike hook. My uncle switched when they came out with quick strike rigs as has better hook ups.

Don't worry if you threw them away. Wholesale sports in Edmonton and The Fishing Hole had bins of them. Various sizes and cheap....Approx 50 cents each, 44 cents for you guys state side.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:17 AM »
Thats what I have TGF, that's what I have heard are called Norwegian Pike hooks.
That's the actual size of the one I have to. :woot:

WW

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2007, 03:12 PM »
I've been fishing a long time and have never seen those hooks before.  They don't inspire me much...lol.  Must be difficult to hook a minnow on those hooks too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.