Author Topic: Clam plate problem  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Rippin_Lips7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ripping Lips and Drinking Busch
Re: Clam plate problem
« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2021, 02:05 PM »
I highly recommend contacting Clam. I misplaced my u-bolt after last year (no idea how I did that and still haven’t come across it) and they sent me a new u-bolt and wing nuts. Then the wing nuts they sent me would not turn onto the u-bolt and they sent me 2 new wing nuts that worked perfectly. Clam’s CS is very good and I expect they will send you a completely new part for free.
_______________  ┊  __________      
                             ┊        
                             ┊
¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

<º))))>< ¸.·´¯`·.¸

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2021, 05:50 PM »
I did contact Clam and had to buy the replacement bit. Said it wasn’t their fault but mine. Said I must not have had chuck securely on bit and rounded it myself. It’s been over a week waiting for part and no tracking number or confirmation email. I’ve contacted them twice and they say it’s been shipped usps. So hopefully any day
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2021, 08:16 PM »
Not everyone goes to a drill to save weight. Some of us don't mind carrying around a little more weight, and appreciate not having to drill a half hole to keep our drill off the ice.

I absolutely love the clam plate, and would never consider owning a drill without it. I've hit too many logs just under the ice, I'd like to keep my wrists intact.

Aside from the plates with the soft shafts like we mentioned, every other "issue" Ive seen posted has been user error. Improperly mounting the drill, not tightening the chuck correctly, mounting the trigger mech incorrectly (breaks the drills trigger), etc.

Very well put.

I love my clam plate....but I bought when it was $45. At prices they ask now....I’d go a different way....or without a plate.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Feb 15, 2021, 08:19 PM »
Very well put.

I love my clam plate....but I bought when it was $45. At prices they ask now....I’d go a different way....or without a plate.

I had to look it up since you said that. They are 80 bucks?? I paid $49.99 for mine at Dicks.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 15, 2021, 08:23 PM »
I had to look it up since you said that. They are 80 bucks?? I paid $49.99 for mine at Dicks.

Yep...Clam is so proud of them it is to the point of being absurd. By the time a guy gets a drill, plate, auger, adaptor, and extension.....The electric augers with power heads are cheap.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:44 PM »
Yep...Clam is so proud of them it is to the point of being absurd. By the time a guy gets a drill, plate, auger, adaptor, and extension.....The electric augers with power heads are cheap.

Lazer auger, plate, extension... $200. That's insane to me. if you go the fuel drill for instance, that kit is $230. So $430 for two battery setup, nearly identical to a strikemaster 24v and extra battery. I understand the multi-function use of a drill.. but still
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 15, 2021, 10:04 PM »
Lazer auger, plate, extension... $200. That's insane to me. if you go the fuel drill for instance, that kit is $230. So $430 for two battery setup, nearly identical to a strikemaster 24v and extra battery. I understand the multi-function use of a drill.. but still

Yep.....it's like ANYTHING clam.....Over priced and expensive. Besides a few adaptors for the clam plate....I honestly can't think of a clam product I bought in the last few years. If it is something new from clam.....well it's probably a product just re labeled and packaged like the leech spoon. Find the original for 1/2 the price.

I remember when clam came out with the clam wheel house and basicly charged twice what a wheel house shell cost.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Feb 15, 2021, 11:05 PM »
Yep.....it's like ANYTHING clam.....Over priced and expensive. Besides a few adaptors for the clam plate....I honestly can't think of a clam product I bought in the last few years. If it is something new from clam.....well it's probably a product just re labeled and packaged like the leech spoon. Find the original for 1/2 the price.

I remember when clam came out with the clam wheel house and basicly charged twice what a wheel house shell cost.

My Clam plate and extension are all I can think of that I own of Clam. I might have one pack of maki plastics somewhere.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 15, 2021, 11:55 PM »
My Clam plate and extension are all I can think of that I own of Clam. I might have one pack of maki plastics somewhere.

Clam had a period where the stuff they were selling was just cheap junk.....a lot of people were complaining.....So they realized they were approaching the celcius/HT type of reputation....Since then they have really Upped the quality of the stuff they sell....however it's gotten to be absurd what they charge for some of the stuff. I'd be suprised if they even had any R&D or somebody working on products.......I believe they just buy products from others and mark them up with a clam name.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 16, 2021, 08:39 AM »
Take a hack saw and cut the rounded part off.   Can you slide the drill down to get a good bite on the rest of what hex is left?  While you wait for a new part.
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2021, 09:55 PM »
Lol, I did exactly that. I cut it and will use as a backup once I get the other one ( if they ever arrive...been 10 days +). As I continued to read where this thread and topic has gone, I’m starting to think an ion might’ve made sense. Between drill, batteries, laser, and extension I would be close to ion. I agree, the plate is nice...but since mines been outta commission and I’m using straight drill to auger....no problems. No spun bit, handle on drill is just fine. Can’t remember what I spent on plate, but it is crazy what h thy they’re asking now and won’t replace spun bits without rebuying plus shipping. Another $25 down the drain if it rounds out also.
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:03 AM »
    Warring :Another problem  with Clam Plate
      I tried to cut one hole the other day
     I had   what  I belief was failure with the
   " E clip " / retaining clip coming off  (.Auger - Spindle)
     this was the  TOP clip,     there are  two clips that hold
     the spindle shaft in place on spindle housing on plate.
    Yup  it allow the auger shaft to drop down hole
      it now rest on the bottom in  6ft of water
    just a warning  check it make sure yours is ok
        will try to get it back with a magnet

snowsnake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.