Author Topic: While jigging how many of you...  (Read 9493 times)

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
Re: While jigging how many of you...
« Reply #60 on: Dec 16, 2006, 07:23 AM »
I agree with you 100% iceonly. A keen-awareness + a taster = Fish Fry. ;) Unawareness + taster + uncertain sluggish reaction = spitters. Maybe we should keep this quiet.  :-X

I'll show you a lake here in WNY where 90% or more of the perch are sniffers and not biters. Almost anyone who fishes the lake will tell you the same thing and this is confirmed by the camera - not just the Vex. One day at Simcoe we knew there were fish under us and couldn't buy a hit. Put the camera down and watched perch take the ball end of the jig into their mouths and spit it out avoiding the hook. Even though this was going on we couldn't detect any movement in the line or rod tip - EVEN WITH A SPRING BOBBER. They weren't interested in our minnows at all. Smaller jigs with spikes were ignored. All they wanted to do that day was to mouth the ball on a small lead head jig.

BTW - I always use my Vex. If you use one and say it hasn't improved your catch rate, I think you have not learned how to use it properly (no offense intended). Like most instruments practice makes perfect.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 16, 2006, 10:33 AM »
I'll show you a lake here in WNY where 90% or more of the perch are sniffers and not biters. Almost anyone who fishes the lake will tell you the same thing and this is confirmed by the camera - not just the Vex. One day at Simcoe we knew there were fish under us and couldn't buy a hit. Put the camera down and watched perch take the ball end of the jig into their mouths and spit it out avoiding the hook. Even though this was going on we couldn't detect any movement in the line or rod tip - EVEN WITH A SPRING BOBBER. They weren't interested in our minnows at all. Smaller jigs with spikes were ignored. All they wanted to do that day was to mouth the ball on a small lead head jig.

BTW - I always use my Vex. If you use one and say it hasn't improved your catch rate, I think you have not learned how to use it properly (no offense intended). Like most instruments practice makes perfect.
Welll….here we go again, they must be testers not tasters because they have to eat sometime right? They can’t sniff all the time. If 90% or more were sniffers and not biters then I would watch for a winterkill on that lake.  :D My guess would be they were short striking that day. What weight jigs were you using? What line weight? If you downsized all the way and used different colors and still no luck my next question would be how long did you try to make them bite? If more than a half hour or so and no action I would have been out of there. Would not want to be called a camera potato. :)
BTW- I want to make clear that I use my Vex religiously and I did not say it has not improved my catch rate. I simply stated that I do not use it 100% of the time. I may very well need to learn how to better use it for certain things; I learn something new everyday and look forward to it. Sounds like you have it mastered though, good for you. (No offense taken).

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #62 on: Dec 16, 2006, 11:56 AM »
The only time I take my eyes aways from my marcum is when I am looking at my other marcum. I dont get tired of the hum from my MARCUM because ...well.....there isnt one,its a  marcum. I would rather work on a fish for 5 min .that is being finicky and get him to bite than catch 5 more fish.Why? Because I have now learned what it takes to trigger the finicky ones. What does that do for my catch rate in the future? Greatly improves it because now I am catching both the finicky fish and the gobblers. Its all about being a student of the game, anyone can catch easy fish on a hot day.On slow days they dont know what to do.

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 16, 2006, 12:04 PM »
Marcums don't have that annoying hum  :unsure:? That's new to me  :P
Andrew

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #64 on: Dec 16, 2006, 12:10 PM »
Marcums don't have that annoying hum  :unsure:? That's new to me  :P

All 3 of mine are silent,I can hear my buddies fl-18 from the next shack over though.

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 16, 2006, 04:14 PM »
Its all about being a student of the game, anyone can catch easy fish on a hot day.On slow days they dont know what to do.
That is why this forum is so helpful, to ask the why and why not questions. Pick up a tid-bit here and there and float idea's back and forth. No one could have said it better. Thank you stumper!

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 18, 2006, 01:58 AM »
  I thought this problem was solved during the Clinton era, how did spitters ever get involved in ice fishing, lord help us all.
wow, nice shot!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 18, 2006, 02:09 AM »
How many of you truly use your flashers or such while jigging each hole if the fish are biting? When your landing them and they stop, I like to move as fast as I can to the next hole. I don't like dragging the set-up all over the ice if their hitting once I have the idea where they are and what their doing. Am I alone on this one? I would say that for the majority of the time I do not use my flasher.  How about you?
If you're not going to use your flasher, save me the 200-500 bucks and GIVE me yours.  I'll be sure to use it.  And as a bonus to you, I'll let you know how many fish I've caught by using your gift to me.
Wish I could blow that much dough on something I don't use.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 18, 2006, 04:48 AM »
If you're not going to use your flasher, save me the 200-500 bucks and GIVE me yours.  
Now why would I want to do that? I see that you have taken my words out of context:
I would say that for the majority of the time  I do not use my flasher.
What would I use to find out where they were hanging out and what mood they were in? Once I’m satisfied that they are active and they are hitting the top of the ice, you are more than welcome to use my unit and watch the marks and enjoy them rising on the screen as you hook and land them. That would work! Believe me, if I could afford to gift you one I would, however mine is a first model FL-8 and if I were to invest, I would be first in line. So you see, no dough was blown here because it is used and for a good reason also.  If misunderstanding this topic has frustrated you, for that I’m sorry, but there is no need to get testy. :flex: I hope you catch  many fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.