Author Topic: Best ice boots  (Read 5282 times)

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
Best ice boots
« on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:02 AM »
What is everyone using for boots? I can’t keep my feet wake on the ice even with foot warmers. What does everyone recommend. The Columbia’s I have are just not cutting it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Best ice boots
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:09 AM »
columbia boots are always cold like some sorel's is my experience.
i use mickey's and cabela's , but mostly cabela's with ice racing screws in all of my boots.

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:19 AM »
baffin boots, warmest boot i have found. highly recommend them

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies I’ll check them out!

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:28 AM »
baffin boots, warmest boot i have found. highly recommend them
I picked a pair up over the summer from Amazon for $28  I can't wait to use them this winter!

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:29 AM »
No way I was expecting a couple hundred. What are they usually?

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:05 PM »
Baffin titans are great.  Light and warm and waterproof.  They are very large however.  I would recommend them for sure.  They are usually close to $200 I believe but Amazon runs deals on certain sizes periodically.  I picked up a pair for around $60 last year if memory serves

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:10 PM »
Mickeys (Black for active folks)

Mickeys (White for less than active folks)

3 cents

Blessings
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Muck Arctic Ice Pro's

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:16 PM »
Sorel Glacier XT and Sabilicer MAX have been really good for me . Proper fit will be important, not to snug.

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:27 PM »
I picked a pair up over the summer from Amazon for $28  I can't wait to use them this winter!
Wow that is an incredible deal! I bought my Baffin Titans for $80 last year and my buddy just ordered a pair for $106 off Amazon yesterday. I saw some for $65 on Gander Outdoors website but they were not the same, they were greenish instead of black and the soles seemed different but their poctures were awful so you couldn't clearly see. They are very warm and comfortable, the only downside is they are fairly thick so it can be tricky to fit them under your bibs.

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:27 PM »
 I picked up some Baffin Impact boots last January and they are well worth it. They are by far the warmest and most comfy boots I have ever owned.

Offline 4eyeman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • eyes are king
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:28 PM »
I always had a problem keeping my feet warm till I got a pair of Baffins Shacketons. No problem anymore.

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:32 PM »

Mickeys (White for less than active folks)that's ME !

3 cents

Blessings

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:43 PM »
No way I was expecting a couple hundred. What are they usually?
they're the trapper style rubber boots. looks like they're $75 right now so not as huge of a deal as you think. but they're still rated around -70 so they should be pretty slick

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Just got the Baffin Impacts, only worn them 3 times so far but ZERO complaints. Super easy to get on and off. No laces, just two buckles and a builtin gaitor at the top.

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:52 PM »
So it’s looking like Baffin is winning by a landslide at this point lol. I’ll be waiting until after Christmas and see how Santa is to me first. Tight lines guys!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2018, 01:03 PM »
I'm a Sorel guy, grew up with them and have many memories of warm feet. Tough to leave a brand that kept me warm for so long.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2018, 01:06 PM »
I’ve heard good things about Sorrel too so it’s on my list of possibilities.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2018, 01:10 PM »
Cabelas Trans Alaska boots are a winner for me. I noticed some of the mushers in the Iditarod wear them as well.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2018, 01:14 PM »
I wore the Sorels for a long time. Not sure what model they were but I got a great deal at costco and bought two pairs and the rubber just gave out on both of them. Was leaning towards the Impacts for a long time. I showed a pic to my buddy who worked in Antarctica for a year and said " hey those are the boots they gave us to wear" so that sealed the deal for me.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2018, 01:16 PM »
Just picked up a pair of Bogs Bozemans that are rated down to -72*. Reg. $150...got them for $50  at a Black Friday sale. I'll  know if it was a deal or not as soon as I can get them on some ice.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2018, 01:20 PM »
I'm a Sorel guy, grew up with them and have many memories of warm feet. Tough to leave a brand that kept me warm for so long.

I just went on-line to the Sorel site and my boots are't there. They have some nice ones, but it seems that they disintegrated into a "fashion"company with wingtip shoes and other things. My Sorels are built like a tank and seem much more robust than anything I saw on teh current Sorel site. The Baffin "SnowMoonster" is the closest thing I could find.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 23, 2018, 01:27 PM »

Mickeys (White for less than active folks)

3 cents

Blessings

Make sure they are real Mickeys. There are some knockoffs out there.

I've been using the White Mickeys ever since my days in the ANG. Haven't let me down yet. But then I don't fish the most brutal conditions here in Indiana as some of our more northern counterparts.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline al15abc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 23, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Has anyone seen any deals on the Baffin Impact boots?
Thanks

Offline mlshore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2018, 02:47 PM »
Hi from interior Alaska.  You can extend the temperature range of boots by quite a bit by getting more insulation under your feet (i.e. between you and the ground).  Wool felt insoles, reflective insoles, etc. can all help.  That said, you can't let your boots get tight or it will cut off the circulation in your feet and you'll get cold. 

Most of us have a few different boot systems.  I've got bunny boots, Steger mukluks, and some Sorel Intrepid Explorer liners that I wear inside studded Neos Navigators.  The Stegers are by far the warmest and the most comfortable, so I've got a pair of their water resistant CamuksXtremes on order for ice fishing and other situations where I can expect to get my feet wet (we have a lot of overflow on rivers and creeks up here).  The Neos are really warm and totally waterproof but not great for walking longer distances.  Bunny boots are unbeatable if you expect to get very, very wet but they've got no traction to speak of, weigh a ton, and it's getting hard to find Batas for a reasonable price.  But again, one of the reasons these are all very warm is that there's a lot of insulation between the bottom of your feet and whatever you're standing on.

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 23, 2018, 02:49 PM »
I had some black mickey mouse boots for years but needed a little more warmth and couldn't find a reasonably available and priced white mickey boot. I went with Baffin Impacts and so far they are the best to date. My only complaint is the built in gator is large enough that most bibs will be quite tight over them. My striker bibs fit ok if I tighten down the buckles enough. I ran across another Baffin boat that was a return and got them very cheap and use them for work. So far they are not as warm as the Impacts but they were cheap and if I ruin them no biggie. I still wouldn't mind a white pair of mickeys though,lol.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2018, 03:02 PM »
I got a pair of muck artic pros for the start of last season. They are the best boots for ice fishing that I have ever owned.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 23, 2018, 03:09 PM »
I've got Lacrosse Ice Kings, but when it time for the big dogs, Originally white Mickey mouse boots,I bought them in 1970 brand new. Believe it or not there still in great shape. Armor All them a couple time a year.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 23, 2018, 04:20 PM »
I got a pair of Baffin Mountain Man boots on eBay a couple seasons ago for $60, one blew out pretty bad where the rubber waterproof toe part meets cloth material near the laces last year, hopefully can fix it though.  I am impressed with the comfort and warmth of the Baffins I bought.

One thing you could try is Smart Wool socks.  They can make a world of difference for warmth, even with a not-so-great boot.  They are expensive as far as socks go, but totally worth it.  They will probably last longer than most boots you'd buy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.