Author Topic: Why do YOU ice fish?  (Read 4341 times)

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Why do YOU ice fish?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 16, 2017, 09:06 AM »
I ice fish because the lake is frozen....

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #31 on: Nov 16, 2017, 09:48 AM »
To catch fish.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #32 on: Nov 16, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Something about looking out over the ice and seeing a flag pop up. Especially at night.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 16, 2017, 10:01 AM »
I started because I had a bad experience on a sleeper trip where we didn’t catch any fish. Came home and decided I was going to give this ice fishing thing a try. Now I do it because I’m addicted. Love watching fish respond in real time on my vexilar, watching my kids use the vex and catch fish like they have been doing it forever. Sitting on a lake or pond all day long with my buddies just to have one of our wives come pick us up because we had a little too much fun. What’s not to like?

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #34 on: Nov 16, 2017, 10:09 AM »
I mean cmon, who wouldn't love scenery like this? Ice fishing gives you an opportunity to enjoy the outdoors that a lot of folks will never see.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #35 on: Nov 16, 2017, 11:33 AM »
I really enjoy solitude,I personally find little enjoyment in partying on the ice,I'm not condemning it,it's just not for me.I love to hear the boom of the ice echoing across a lake,I have no problem sitting in a location for hours at a time,even with little bight action.
   I've solved world problems,invented marvelous contraptions,traveled to lands not seen by modern man.Ive built cabins on lakes never fished,and watched the northern lights while staring down a six " hole in the ice.Ive fought Grizzlies with my bare hands,and once killed a lion that was terrorizing a never before discovered primitive tribe.
   I once flew a bush plane into the eye of a storm,to rescue a lost couple who became stranded on the mighty Yukon during dark winter.There was another time while spelunking,I discovered a lost treasure worth millions,but couldn't bring myself to take it.Ive fished for lobster in Maine ,hunted alligator in the swamps of Louisiana,and once I conquered Mt Everest ,alone of course.
    Ive did all those things and many more while sitting by myself alone on a bucket.I find it very difficult to make my journeys while surrounded by others .I surely do hope for good ice for everybody who wants it,and I hope everyone gets to enjoy it their way .As for me,I'm really needing an adventure to some far away unexplored place,perhaps it's time I stepped into the arena as a gladiator,and fight a bloody fight to the finish against the best of the best.
  Yep,there is nothing like the quiet peaceful alone time on the ice where I can sit on my bucket,fasten my seatbelt,stare down a couple holes in the ice,and see the world likes it's never been seen before,fish on my brothers and sisters of the ice.!

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 16, 2017, 11:39 AM »
It makes me feel like I am just a big kid. My flipover is fort house, I sneak beer from my wife(rather than parents), and im escaping/evading all my chores at least for that moment. I usually go with someone else to hang out with. BEST OF ALL I CATCH FISH! Unlike a lot of others I dont usually bring the family, I spend enough time with them on a daily basis, sports, camping, fishing in a boat, and etc etc. Time for daddy to go and play, YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAA AAAA.

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 16, 2017, 11:48 AM »
I was tired of sitting on the couch all winter so I said to my wife why dont we start ice fishing since we both love fishing it will be a cheap sport to get into.  7 years later we each have our own shack, 3 augers, 2 snowmobiles, 4 wheeler, enclosed trailer, tons of jigs, 2 flashers, under water camera and it keeps going.  It has been anything but cheap but it beats sitting around for 4-5 months and its quality time we spend and even get our nephew out with us.

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #38 on: Nov 16, 2017, 11:53 AM »
I really enjoy solitude,I personally find little enjoyment in partying on the ice,I'm not condemning it,it's just not for me.I love to hear the boom of the ice echoing across a lake,I have no problem sitting in a location for hours at a time,even with little bight action.
   I've solved world problems,invented marvelous contraptions,traveled to lands not seen by modern man.Ive built cabins on lakes never fished,and watched the northern lights while staring down a six " hole in the ice.Ive fought Grizzlies with my bare hands,and once killed a lion that was terrorizing a never before discovered primitive tribe.
   I once flew a bush plane into the eye of a storm,to rescue a lost couple who became stranded on the mighty Yukon during dark winter.There was another time while spelunking,I discovered a lost treasure worth millions,but couldn't bring myself to take it.Ive fished for lobster in Maine ,hunted alligator in the swamps of Louisiana,and once I conquered Mt Everest ,alone of course.
    Ive did all those things and many more while sitting by myself alone on a bucket.I find it very difficult to make my journeys while surrounded by others .I surely do hope for good ice for everybody who wants it,and I hope everyone gets to enjoy it their way .As for me,I'm really needing an adventure to some far away unexplored place,perhaps it's time I stepped into the arena as a gladiator,and fight a bloody fight to the finish against the best of the best.
  Yep,there is nothing like the quiet peaceful alone time on the ice where I can sit on my bucket,fasten my seatbelt,stare down a couple holes in the ice,and see the world likes it's never been seen before,fish on my brothers and sisters of the ice.!

This is just fantastic!
"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #39 on: Nov 16, 2017, 12:02 PM »
Great responses, everyone -- thanks for sharing!  It's really fun reading about everyone's passion for ice fishing, and some really great stories.  A theme that has emerged has to do with spending time on the ice with parents/grandparents, and then being able to pass that bond down to the next generation.  For me, that's another reason I love ice fishing --- I can get my kids excited to spend some time in the pop-up with the heater on, some hot water boiling for soup, coffee, and hot chocolate, watching the flasher while they dial in on the fish.  It's more of an exciting experience for them, than casting from shore.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline 6x6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Nov 16, 2017, 12:06 PM »
All great responses!! For me, the challenge and excitement of bringing up a 30 pound mackinaw through the ice is unbelievably addicting.  In addition, the solitude, and the "oh hell" feeling when the ice sheet shifts never gets old either. 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 16, 2017, 12:17 PM »
What the hell else are you gonna do in the middle of Jan when it's -8 degrees outside???!!!  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 16, 2017, 12:50 PM »

That was a cold day.....love it !

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Nov 16, 2017, 01:02 PM »
For this....

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 16, 2017, 01:07 PM »

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 16, 2017, 01:10 PM »
I ice fish because 4 months without muskie fishing would be torture without ice fishing.

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 16, 2017, 01:43 PM »
 ;Dlove the peace and quiet while ice fishing. No big crowds, boats, or bugs to contend with.  :tipup:
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Nov 16, 2017, 03:22 PM »
I know why. You boys know why. And, if like most people you just don't get it going in, I'm not going to bother trying to explain it.
A month ago I had figured that old age had finally drawn a curtain on my ice career yet I find myself still reading this Forum and still designing strike rigs in my head and wondering if I actually need to spring for something new like I've done every year as long as I can remember. Or I'll read a post from our OP Nate or Slayer who keep the Colorado forum churned and realize that this all just means too much to give up.
 To answer your question, it more or less had made me who I am.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 16, 2017, 04:02 PM »
May God Bless you Stinkyfingers and allow you more time one the ice! I ice fish because fishing is my true passion. I would rather be fishing than anything else in the world. I fish year round and every chance I get. I love being outside with nature and I love figuring out where the fish are and how to catch them. It doesn't matter if I with others or by myself; I enjoy it. I also enjoy reading the posts of others on this forum. Other people sharing their thoughts and experiences on a sport that I love. Thank you to everyone that shares! God Bless and tightlines!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #49 on: Nov 16, 2017, 05:25 PM »
I know why. You boys know why. And, if like most people you just don't get it going in, I'm not going to bother trying to explain it.
A month ago I had figured that old age had finally drawn a curtain on my ice career yet I find myself still reading this Forum and still designing strike rigs in my head and wondering if I actually need to spring for something new like I've done every year as long as I can remember. Or I'll read a post from our OP Nate or Slayer who keep the Colorado forum churned and realize that this all just means too much to give up.
 To answer your question, it more or less had made me who I am.
Mark, glad to have you here!  Agree, if someone has no clue why we "crazy folk" haul ourselves out on the frozen ponds and lakes to suffer in the cold, they just might never get it.   
You kinda have to just "know it".    ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Nov 16, 2017, 07:02 PM »
I love the water frozen or open, plus my son is sitting about 20" away from me and we talk about stuff.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #51 on: Nov 17, 2017, 05:41 AM »
I love all fishing from Brookies in a mountain streams to casting to busting Bluefin Tuna with poppers and I do like open water fishing more (I did mention busting Bluefin Tuna) than ice fishing, but in the end;

THE TUG IS THE DRUG!

I have spent a bunch of time thinking about fishing and why it is so important to me, I have also interview 100s of anglers as to why it is important to them. In this great post, I see many/most of the reasons given and they are all things that I (most of them, but I don't drink) also enjoy about fishing, but when I have narrowed down the moment that I like the best, it is the moment when I feel that first tug in my hand, the bite. I think it is one of the big reasons I am not a fan of trolling, I don't normaly have the rod in my hand... With tilts, you get to feel the fish with the line in your hand and jigging is even better, from that sutle tap to a slam and your rod doubles over before you even set the hook! That Intermittent Reinforcement has hooked me since I was 3 years old and I will be fishing til I am dead.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #52 on: Nov 17, 2017, 05:57 AM »

Stripernut that was very well put !!!

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Nov 17, 2017, 03:57 PM »
I honestly don't think I can put it into words. I am obsessed. I think I prefer ice fishing over open water.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 17, 2017, 07:02 PM »
 i've thought about this alot, usually while ice fishing and aside from the fellowship, beer drinking and fish supper to follow - for me it's the dichotomy of the tranquility experienced while sitting in a shelter with the heater hissing or fire crackling, flasher humming and the near meditative state one falls into being instantly replaced by insanity when a 20 lb pike hits your jig stick and all hell breaks loose in the shack.

that and driving off the ice in the middle of the night under the northern lights.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Nov 17, 2017, 07:28 PM »

that and driving off the ice in the middle of the night under the northern lights.

Now THAT would be freekin cool!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 17, 2017, 08:10 PM »
For the same reason I fish open water, I am a fisherman. It is in my blood and every breath I take.

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #57 on: Nov 17, 2017, 10:29 PM »
Two reasons for me.
One/ Our winter ice fishing season is almost 7 months long. If I couldn't fish for that long I would go on a shooting rampage!!!!   ;D
Two/ It gives me the opportunity to fish lakes that are only air accessible during the open water season. And there are a lot of them!!!  ;)

https://www.google.ca/maps/@62.5204577,-113.775413,173832m/data=!3m1!1e3

WOW Drifter you lucky dog great slave lake how would it be  :o

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #58 on: Nov 18, 2017, 01:26 AM »
If I didn't icefish my tip-top would sink...  DUH!!! ;D

Offline NEWLEE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then catch 'em
« Reply #59 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:23 AM »
I fish all year but ice fishing is my favorite time of year. Like others have said I like the solitude and having the lake or pond to yourself and a couple buddies or family. Plus I can say I walk on water  ;) Plus no bugs!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.