Author Topic: Cell Phones  (Read 3385 times)

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
Cell Phones
« on: Jan 18, 2006, 12:03 PM »
As of 1-19-2006 telemarketers will be allowed to call cell phones at the owners expense. If you call this number
1-888-382-1222 from the phone you own it will block them for a period of 5 years.

Offline Lindz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "And the whistle is screaming, terrapin."
Re: Cell Phones
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2006, 12:09 PM »
As of 1-19-2006 telemarketers will be allowed to call cell phones at the owners expense. If you call this number
1-888-382-1222 from the phone you own it will block them for a period of 5 years.

So far anything I see related to this has it as an ongoing hoax  :P

Anyone  ???

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=5515&z=3&p=
   &                               

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2006, 12:13 PM »
So far anything I see related to this has it as an ongoing hoax  :P

Anyone  ???

http://www.wcpo.com/wcpo/localshows/dontwasteyourmoney/137a2d17.html
This is definitely a hoax. If you are that paranoid about telemarketers you can always sign your cell number up to the National Do not call list.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2006, 12:15 PM »
Yes I heard the same thing on the news. It is a hoax. Just like the scam call this # and your # will not be on a directory.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2006, 12:19 PM »
Where are you getting your info? 
As others have stated this is another version of an ongoing hoax. 
By law telemarketers cannot call your cell phone as you are charged for incomming calls. 
Whenever you get info like this from a friend who got it from a friend .......  Do a google search on the info before you pass it on.
Cheese Head

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2006, 12:20 PM »
I'm not sure it was sent to me from an out of state sister, when you call the number it sounds like its legate

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

Offline Lindz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "And the whistle is screaming, terrapin."
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2006, 12:27 PM »
I'm not sure it was sent to me from an out of state sister, when you call the number it sounds like its legate

That is the National Call Registry #.

Web site.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx
   &                               

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2006, 12:31 PM »
It is a hoax. It's actually already in law that telemarketers cannot call a cellular number.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2006, 04:21 PM »
I don't know what services you have on your cell phones, but my dad's had more than a few tele-marketers call his cell phone. I'm not sure what he has though. I have Nextel and have never had a problem.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2006, 04:39 PM »
is he getting telemarketer or bill collectors? i had verizon for about 7 years and just switched to sprint last year and have never had a problem with either, except darn bill collectors :tipup:

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2006, 07:29 PM »
From the Federal Trade Commission:
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/04/dnc.htm
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2006, 07:32 PM »
I heard a interesting thing on the radio today,    108 years ago there was telephones and there was a war      [spanish /american they said] so a us official [ president /gov. someone] put a 3% tax on the phone bill of everyone who had a phone, the war lasted 4 months.   The tax is still there , no one knows what it does or where it goes but we still pay it, it was mentioned that if we go to mywireless.org we can ask for all of it back for the last 3 years and receive it.   I didn't try it yet but was wondering if any one else heard this as well?
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2006, 07:34 PM »
I heard a interesting thing on the radio today,    108 years ago there was telephones and there was a war      [spanish /american they said] so a us official [ president /gov. someone] put a 3% tax on the phone bill of everyone who had a phone, the war lasted 4 months.   The tax is still there , no one knows what it does or where it goes but we still pay it, it was mentioned that if we go to mywireless.org we can ask for all of it back for the last 3 years and receive it.   I didn't try it yet but was wondering if any one else heard this as well?

scott have you had your phone up to your head for a long peiod of time? ;D
if thats true and someone knows, post a thread. that could be alot of money :tipup:

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2006, 07:47 PM »
They were talking about it on a rochester radio station today.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:14 PM »
 If you don’t have the recipes for 3 yrs you wont get nothing back. How much money do you think you guys will get back? 36 dollars if you’re lucky lol. Your big companies will benefit from this not the little guy, why after 100 yrs somebody decides to bring this up to the people. Somebody on a radio show doesn’t have anything better to talk about.

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:35 PM »
Here is some infor on the tax rebate:  http://schumer.senate.gov/SchumerWebsite/pressroom/press_releases/2006/PR08.NYC%20IRS%20Cell%20Phone.011506.html

It seems as though ol' Chuck is good for something after all.  Now, if only he would stop robbing us blind in other ways, we wouldn't need to worry about a lousy $50 rebate.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2006, 07:52 AM »
lets see, me and my brother are on a family plan, out monthly usage is about 3,000 minutes, 2,000 are his, plus all the perks, internet, text, downloads, camera, etc... our monthly bill is around $400 so 12 months times $400 is $4,800 a year for the past 3 years is $14,400 at 3% rebate is $432. all biulling and payments are done online so all recipt of payments are saved. not bad. thats one heck of a night out on the town :tipup:

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2006, 10:13 AM »
Arch my wife and I plus my two daughters have a family plan together for only 110 per month. Every one of us have our own phone and we have long distance any ware in the country. That’s a lot of money you guys are paying out for a monthly phone bill. I think you and I need to get together and have a long talk.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2006, 10:23 AM »
no, my brother manages a catering company that does all the food prep for movie sets so he travels all over the US and uses his phone for his lively hood, has to check mail and stuff constantly. one of the owners, jim used to play pro ball.

http://www.hannabrothers.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.