Author Topic: how do you put your ice anchors in ?  (Read 6789 times)

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
Re: how do you put your ice anchors in ?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 25, 2013, 11:00 AM »
used my eskimos this last week for first time. easy to use. I used them to tie off a rope while checking some ponds,solo.
the eyelet is big enough to slip a 3/4" rope through, not sure if other brands have big eyelets?

Offline johntom0013

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: how do you put your ice ancors in ?
« Reply #61 on: Dec 25, 2013, 11:04 AM »
Assuming we are talking about the same thing, as in the anchors I use for the pop up shelter. I welded up a jig made from a couple of small pieces of angle iron and a 6 inch bolt that I cut the head off of. pretty simple. Now I just put it in the cordless drill and it slips over the anchor and zips it into to ice. Wish I had a picture of it. Works great since I use the cordless drill on the auger as well.
How well does your cordless do for holes? Thought about using mine but no ice in Ohio.
Best to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and erase all doubt.

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 25, 2013, 05:39 PM »
I have Eskimo screws/anchors. have yet to have the shanty out yet but should be good. Also I am guessing the handles from brand to brand are close but maby try welding a nut on top so you can use a ratchet wrench or drill with socket adapter. But sounds like I won't need to but hey its a thought for others
That would be added feature improvement having a hex weld or extension clamped . but honestly just as easy to drill a pilot hole with a bit one size less the diameter of the anchors used.  Eskimo is thicker than the HT too.. larger too for big rope. I am inclined to think the harder the ice, the more likely a pilot hole would be desired. I will have to try them both for the first time.. ice should be a go in a few ..maybe by this weekend.

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 25, 2013, 06:28 PM »
Put them point to the Ice Give them a wack on top with my Hand and screw them down..  Gotta watch I do not bend them when I wack them.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 25, 2013, 07:25 PM »
1 @ a time.
Works best if you turn clockwise

:)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 25, 2013, 07:38 PM »
Another vote for the Eskimo Anchors!!!
I don't need to bring a drill they work great. Easy to install and hold well.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Dec 25, 2013, 08:21 PM »
I usually just punch an extra hole and drop in a home made T anchor
its a piece of conduit with a ring attached off center to it
drop it down the hole till it just clears the ice then pull up to set it and tie off
wen your ready to go just untie it drop it down away from the bottom of the ice wait 15 seconds and remove
the pipe will flip as needed
if its blowing hard and the shanty's are rolling like dice I doubt ill be going out there any way

SnoHam13

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 25, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Call me crazy--Eskimo and pre-drill.  I pre-drill with a $15 7.2V Black and Decker cordless that I also use for my screw-in pole holders.  1/4" bit.  I can pre-drill and spin the eskimo anchors in faster than hand starting them.  Slick, slick.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:13 PM »
Call me crazy--Eskimo and pre-drill.  I pre-drill with a $15 7.2V Black and Decker cordless that I also use for my screw-in ice anchors.  1/4" bit.  I can pre-drill and spin the eskimo anchors in faster than hand starting them.  Slick, slick.

x2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.