Author Topic: DIY ice shanty  (Read 3381 times)

Offline grosje47

• IceShanty Rookie
DIY ice shanty
« on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:33 AM »
I recently bought the Shappell FX50 wind break, I'm brand new into ice fishing and seeing as how I got into it  pretty late in the season I decided to go the cheap route to see if it was something I would enjoy.  Well it turns out I got turned on to it, and seeing as how the wind break is just a half of a shanty I wonder if it would be possible to turn it into a full flip down shanty?  I have thought about just getting some conduit and bending it around and making an extension of what it already is and just sewing some fabric onto it.  I was wondering if anyone out there would have any ideas...?  :flex: :flex: :flex:

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: DIY ice shanty
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:28 AM »
This time of year you can find a cheap hub house for a very reasonable price. It wouldn't be worth my time to try and convert or reinvent a house. YMMV

WS

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:18 AM »
This time of year you can find a cheap hub house for a very reasonable price. It wouldn't be worth my time to try and convert or reinvent a house. YMMV

WS
I'll second that!!  good deals will be all over the place.could find something complete for what material costs-or pretty close
to it. just my .02

Offline carl bjorgen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2013, 10:11 AM »
I've tried to build little portables before, and even though it is fun, the materials can quickly add up, and the result will never be as good as what you can buy.

I bought a brand new Shappell Rover 5 years ago on end of season clearance for under 100.00.  I just bought a brand new 5x5 Killzone hub for 100.00.  I'm trying it out this weekend for the first time, but it looks like a quality unit.

If you are patient (which none of us seem to be when it comes to buying fishing equipment) you can eventually find a bargain.

Offline Striker7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2013, 10:34 AM »
I have to agree there will be plenty of times when that set up will be perfect,  Soon you will get an feel for what might be your best  option for the type of fishing you mostly do. Do you fish alone? Hole hop, set tips and jig. I have a one man flip over but at least half the time fish with someone who doesn't,  so I think my next  purchase will be a good size hub say a four man with stand-up room  should be a fine base camp for two, set up tip ups, hole hop around it if weather cooperates or hunker down an jig inside if its too brutal.

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2013, 11:27 AM »
I have big plans for next year  ;) I'm lookin into a porta potty prefably new lol but depending on cost ill brave the cleaning if I have to  :woot:.I'm thinkin with some easy mods it will be mint! Nice and light weight can lift in and lay it down in my truck I don't have to worry about material leaking or ripping.I m gonna install plexiglass on 3 sides of it for nice big Windows ill thro a nice quick camo paint job on it,its gonna be sweet.I'm thinkin my lil buddy heater should heat it right up no problem.
Off to walk on water

Offline redrover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:22 PM »
pikedaddy, now I really like that idea! I have a nephew that works for a rental company & I'll have to see if he could get me one - cheap. I like to site fish from a shanty so I would propably paint it black & no windows. Would you fish with the lid up or down? :) Some of those even have sinks in them so you could keep your hands nice & clean.

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:25 PM »
Yup I have BIG PLANS gonna pull the pooper out so I have more room and make it lighter to transport .
Off to walk on water

Offline redrover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:41 PM »
this may be as great an idea as the Smitty Sled has been on here!

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:29 PM »
Good deals out there.
Master Laker taker.

Offline grosje47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:37 PM »
You said it Carl I'm in no way patient haha I bought some conduit 3 10' poles 1/2" Got an old tent I used in college for winter camping going to try and see what my imagination can create  and if it didn't come out so well then atleast I had fun and found a way to kill some time in the garage which I love doing anyways I really like the porta potty idea kinda makes the gears in my head turn to see what I can use! Be sure to keep us updated on that I'm curious to see how that turns out !

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:55 PM »
I will have pics before and afters
Off to walk on water

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2013, 03:54 PM »
First off Grosje47 welcome to Ice Shanty . Since you have bought conduit already i suggest using the search feature on this site. back around 2008-09 a member by the user name of Saw Blade (I think) built his own flip over. I do not know if any pictures he posted will still be visible good luck with this project. Please post pictures of the build. (Look under the ice shack tips community)
Steve

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2013, 09:30 AM »
I just built a flip over style sled. It is on sled mods. page. I used pvc for my supports

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2013, 05:31 PM »
I'll second that!!  good deals will be all over the place.could find something complete for what material costs-or pretty close
to it. just my .02

Yup........x howevermanytimes...... ..

It took me two years but I got a large Otter sled for $75 (year 1) and the cabin (flipover) for it for $130 in year two. I got barely $200 in the thing and retail is, well, obnoxious.......... You're getting excited at the right time. Walmart, Gander Mountain wherever you've got that sells ice stuff it's "end of the season" and it gets blown out. Keep your eyes open. When I bought the cabin I saw it for $175 and took it home. Three days later they had it marked down to $130, I asked and they gave me an adjustment.

A few years back I got a Strikemaster 10" auger w/the 2hp powerhead for $180..............Wally World. It's all about value.

Timing is everything!

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.