Author Topic: trebel hooks  (Read 476 times)

Offline d4ng3r3ux

• Team IceShanty Regular
trebel hooks
« on: Oct 20, 2012, 11:45 AM »
I got a few jigs that dont have the trailer hook( if this is the right wording )

anyone use these?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/TerminalHooks/PRDOVR~0783515P/Northland%AE+Slip-On+Stingr+Hook+Rig%2C+Red.jsp?locale=en

Offline LSCjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: trebel hooks
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2012, 11:53 AM »
Ive never used a stinger on my ice fishing setups...but ive used those on my spring walleye jigging setups and they work just fine.
Dont get any on ya...but if ya do...get it all over ya!!

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2012, 12:26 PM »
I've used them before they work great just put the bait on first then the stinger hook. The rubber coating locks the bait in place and then hook the stinger hook into the side of the bait so it doesn't dangle freely. I use this set up when I'm getting a lot of short strikes I find the rubber coating works better than the ones with little metal clips.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2012, 06:37 PM »
I GOTTA  SAY......... Treble hooks are the biggest PIA that I've ever seen!!!  Whoever invented them must have been a "fish masochist", or just hated human fingertips!!  Many years ago, I began removing all trebles from my lures and replacing them with a single swinging hook.  I don't lose fish, and it's much easier to remove the hook from the fish's jaw, especially if you want to release the critter.  Yes, I know about carrying a pair of needlenose pliers to do the job, ..... another PIA and something more to carry!!  JUST SAYIN'............

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2012, 06:53 PM »
I GOTTA  SAY......... Treble hooks are the biggest PIA that I've ever seen!!!  Whoever invented them must have been a "fish masochist", or just hated human fingertips!!  Many years ago, I began removing all trebles from my lures and replacing them with a single swinging hook.  I don't lose fish, and it's much easier to remove the hook from the fish's jaw, especially if you want to release the critter.  Yes, I know about carrying a pair of needlenose pliers to do the job, ..... another PIA and something more to carry!!  JUST SAYIN'............
  Lol Very good point Sir.  If my lures with treble hooks would catch as many fish as they have caught sweatshirt sleeves and gloves, then I'd be a happy camper,lol.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2012, 08:41 PM »
I was changing lures, taking off my jigging rap, and putting something else on, and in my haste, set it on my bucket,,,,and of course, I then got all situated and sat right on it.  I had to do the walk of shame over to some other guys fishing a little ways from me and ask them to please remove it for me.   Taking off my coveralls was not an option as that thing was right through all layers.  Im sure they still laugh at that.  I now use mainly single hooks on my tip ups for walleye and perch. 

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:52 PM »
Buried a treble into the side of my thumb last week. First time and last time I hope. Still a little soar but the bruise I gave myself ripping it out is gone at least.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.