Author Topic: Not your average Rod Case  (Read 21698 times)

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Not your average Rod Case
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Here’s the rod case I just got a few weeks ago and I freaking love it ;D It holds my 4 crappie set ups, my two lake trout set ups, all my jigs, terminal gear, line, camera, and tools. I put it right on my front ATV rack with a bungee strap to hold it and off I go.

Now it’s not cheap but then all my gear I have in it isn’t cheap either so is it worth protecting it :-\ You bet ;)

Those are nice cases, i like the idea of not having to fold your handles down on your reels.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:16 PM »
I picked up that HT case for $19 but its just for transport not on the ice, i guess ill find out if it works out.
I was going with the frabil but was backordered and now glad cause folding reel handles gets old.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:42 PM »
Sounds like it would be easier to just buy some reels in which the handles fold easily.  I have a little Shakespear that you just have to reel the handle backwards a bit and it folds right up.  As others have stated there are some that fold with just a push of a button.....nice feature.  I know what you mean about having to turn a knob to tighten or loosen the handle.  I also have one of them and I seldom use it just for that reason.  Anyhow, any new purchases of reels will have easily folding handles for me. 
Mike

Offline evaxx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • vermont jumbo.
« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:53 PM »
have you tried the cases there its only hard around the rod and the reel part is soft? they zip and work mint. waterproof and easy to store, use, and access. we can fit up to 3 rods in it.

happy fishing!
Girls fish too.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2012, 09:16 PM »
I've used this case for years; plenty tough (hard plastic core) but only room for 3 rigs w/ handles out. Tangles are common too...

Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:39 PM »
The case is 43" long X 17.5" wide X 7" wide. It fit nice in my Yukon sled behind the seats but I liked it on the ATV rack better. It looks like it can handle a 30" rob but to be 100% sure, I'd email the guy and ask him. He got back to me very quick. Hope this helps ;)

My friend has one, it is hands down the best case I have ever seen and I've seen most of them.  With a slight mod to the foam, he fits his 36" laker set ups in there.  I really need to break down and buy one.

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2013, 03:39 AM »
Here’s the rod case I just got a few weeks ago and I freaking love it ;D It holds my 4 crappie set ups, my two lake trout set ups, all my jigs, terminal gear, line, camera, and tools. I put it right on my front ATV rack with a bungee strap to hold it and off I go.

Now it’s not cheap but then all my gear I have in it isn’t cheap either so is it worth protecting it :-\ You bet ;)

This case has me drooling! Can you tell me a little more about it, like the name , where can I find one, or any other pertinent information. I don't mind paying for quality, and this looks to be a very high quality case. Besides, most of my ice fishing adventure's require a minimum  10 hour (one way) drive and having my rods and reels intact  is more important than getting set-up on the ice only to discover either I left my favorite rod behind or worse, it got broke.   :tipup:
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Feb 12, 2013, 03:58 AM »

This case has me drooling! Can you tell me a little more about it, like the name , where can I find one, or any other pertinent information. I don't mind paying for quality, and this looks to be a very high quality case. Besides, most of my ice fishing adventure's require a minimum  10 hour (one way) drive and having my rods and reels intact  is more important than getting set-up on the ice only to discover either I left my favorite rod behind or worse, it got broke.   :tipup:

x 2. A  good looking set up.

WS

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:56 AM »
Icefishinginnovations. com

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:33 AM »
Icefishinginnovations.com

Thank you Sir!

I just looked them up, and for me, I don't think the price is out of line at all. Especially after watching the guy jump up and down on the case! I am stashing my coins now and as soon as I have enough, I will have one of these Bad Boys! Again, Thank You for sharing!  :tipup:
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:46 AM »
For what I have in rods and reels, I don't find it excessive either.  I'll be breaking out the debit card sometime shortly and picking one up.

Offline wishniwuzicefishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:48 AM »
Check out the MTM ice fishing rod box.  Its 36"x 10.2"x5.2" with foam inserts and is pretty durable.  I think I got it for 30 bucks on Amazon.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:13 AM »
Has me thinking about making up one from a Pelican case.

Offline KZ3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:08 AM »
I just received this case in the mail and it's similar if not identical to the ice innovations one.  I'm going to get some foam and deck it out how I want. 
https://www.flambeaucases.com/index.php/site/details/50845

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 12, 2013, 02:36 PM »
I agree, there definitely seems to be a need for a better rod holder case in the market. I have the aluminum shotgun case and I really like it but I too would like to find something a little less bulkier and one that I don't have to break down the reels to store them. I also have some of the ones that are a bag with a tube inside that hold about three combos. I've been recently using them a bit more for less bulk but don't like how you have to shove the rods into the tubes. My buddy just got the Clam case and we'll see how it holds up for him before I commit as I wish it was a bit more of a  rigid case.

Kinda funny actually as this year I started breaking down my reels before storing them in the case and I haven't had a broken rod this year but yet I've had three reels break down on me (it may just be by chance as they weren't really exspensive).

My wishlist would be....

a lightwieght case but yet strong enough to put heavy items on
enough room for 4 to 6 combos that don't need to be collapsed
material on the inside that doesn't allow for hooks to be easily snagged on
enough length for the longer combos

It already exists and has been posted... The case from ice fishing innovations. Two different inserts, one holds 32" one holds 40". No need to fold handles down, ran over mine with the rear wheel of my truck, no damage, foam is hard, no worries about hooks snagging. Buy cheap, you get cheap. Your choice.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2013, 02:47 PM »
I bit the bullet and ordered an icefishinginnovations 6 rod case today. Looks like a sweet setup.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #47 on: Feb 12, 2013, 03:28 PM »
Ha, I had to laugh when I saw this thread reared it's head once again.

I tried a few more things this year. Gander Mountain has like a quiver case. It fits 3 rods into a hard tube, the reel cover area is just fabric. Seemed to work ok...until my lures kept snagging on the inside of the fabric. Again, who designs these things? Do they not know we use treble hooks that can snag anything and everything!??

So after I blew a gasket out fishing with my hooks all tangled in the case..I ordered the Otter rod locker. Hey, it's $80, but so far I like it plenty! Very sturdy, no folding of reel handles, and it can hold 6-7 combos id guess as well as some smaller tackle. Not super heavy, yet really durable. I could drop this baby with no fear of a rod breaking. I seem to accumulate more expensive gear as I go, so protecting 6 combos for $80 is a small price to pay. I am able to lay it flat in my sled style shack and stack any items I want on top, heater, auger, bait, etc. Nothing will ruin the combos in there.

So alas, my ship has come home and I am finally done with this search. I still use a bucket while on the ice hole hopping to carry scoop, combos, bait, tackle, beer, etc. The case is more for transportation safety than on ice usability. Now i don't even hesitate at buying expensive stuff because i know it wont break in my case.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.streiffs.com/images/P/Otter%2520Ice%2520Rod%2520Case.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.streiffs.com/product.php?productid%3D67327&h=391&w=700&sz=38&tbnid=TYfj6Q4dj0ouOM:&tbnh=77&tbnw=138&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dotter%2Brod%2Bcase%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=otter+rod+case&usg=__kke7t72YQqz5MWXCBob99PtpdgM=&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5rMaUfzRMaOWyAH924HgDg&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQ9QEwAg

Good luck all:
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:49 PM »
I just received this case in the mail and it's similar if not identical to the ice innovations one.  I'm going to get some foam and deck it out how I want. 
https://www.flambeaucases.com/index.php/site/details/50845

The dimensions are nearly exact, I wouldn't doubt it's the same case.

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:15 PM »

great setup!

Offline winchester00dog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:23 PM »
I bought the one from ebay, six rod holder, it is nice! 60 buckaroos

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:54 PM »
The dimensions are nearly exact, I wouldn't doubt it's the same case.

Looks like the same case alright... But the foam cost will bring it close to the cost of the full case from ice fishing innovations.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Looks like the same case alright... But the foam cost will bring it close to the cost of the full case from ice fishing innovations.
not to mention trying to, and the time involved in trying to cut or router the foam just right for six rods and four tackle boxes.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:05 PM »
http://www.glensoutdoors.com/Expedition-Ice-Fishing-Rod-Case-EXP-IRC36-p/exp-irc36.htm

What they don't show you is the bottom eggshell comes right out, smaller UL combos do not need the handle collapsed, and you can put the dividers in at the end to hold your jig boxes.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:24 PM »

I hear that... But I have a nice stock pile of tool box foam and the tools to do it... still unsure if I want/would  take the time to do it..  I'll probably go ice fishing innovations.

Offline skavenger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Have you ever thought of making one out of fiberglass?  Build it to the dimmension that you desire out of cardboard and then fiber glass it?  You then could go to Hobby Lobby and get foam for it.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 14, 2013, 11:26 AM »
I'm getting one from this guy. Looks good and functions well.
he has a video on the list for the 6 rod holder.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ice-Fishing-Rod-Reel-Protecter-Case-4-Pole-Holder-/230929123817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c472c9e9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #58 on: Feb 14, 2013, 11:39 AM »
I'm getting one from this guy. Looks good and functions well.
he has a video on the list for the 6 rod holder.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ice-Fishing-Rod-Reel-Protecter-Case-4-Pole-Holder-/230929123817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c472c9e9
thats the same guy I told u about on Minneapolis Craigslist. He's cheaper on Craigslist if I remember right.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 14, 2013, 11:46 AM »
He's priced about the same if you figure in the shipping.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.