Author Topic: which vex do i want?  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: which vex do i want?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:18 AM »
Been using the FL8 slt for over 13 years and still on the original battery. I'd say get the model with the features you want and can afford. Others may be as good but none are more reliable than this one. I can say I've caught more than enough fish to cover the cost of mine. If I had to do it all over again I'd still get this one and spend any more money available on a portable shack, heater, suit, or something else. Some of these flashers are getting pretty expensive and all they'll do is locate the fish. You'll still need to figure out how to make them bite.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2012, 03:25 PM »
WHAT EVER FITS YOUR BUDGET  i have a fl 20   love the flat screen  no tunnel vision ;D
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2012, 03:38 PM »
I am going on my 2nd season with my 18 ultra pac and I love. Won't go out with out it. The bottom lock and auto zoom are nice features. If I had to do it again I would still buy the same unit. Tight lines and stay on top!

Offline builderone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2012, 04:06 PM »
I have had the fl 18 ultra pack for a long time. They are dependable little buggers too. I am a little ruff on thing and it just keeps going.  I have used the fl 8 a couple times and really missed the zoom. I would spend the extra few bucks for that feature alone and the ultra pack also I like the main power switch and power lugs in the front.

Offline rustynail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2012, 01:16 PM »
thanks for all the advice guys. i think im going to buy a marcum ::) :P. just kiddin. i ordered and fl 18 propack today. cant wait till it comes in!!!

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2012, 01:59 PM »
i have used the fl8,  fl18, fl20, and the fl22 and the 20 is the cats meow you might not think you would need the zoom but its really nice for fishing in deeper water when the fish huge the bottom and the flatscreen makes it so you dont have to move it if your standing or sitting
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:39 PM »
 If you don't fish water deeper than 60' go for the fl22HD. It has everything you could ever want. Wait another month or so and you will get killer deals. The ice season has been bad for most of the country so I'm sure tackle and such is not flying off the shelves. I bought mine last year at the end of the season and saved close to $100! I got the FL22HD ultra pack. It has everything you could ever want or need. go to the equipment board and do a search on it and will you get all the input you want. Good luck on which ever one you choose they are all good units and will all help and put fish on the ice.
  Matt

Offline caseihman06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:28 PM »
I just got a fl-8-se last year and it works great for me!

Offline tomjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:10 PM »
Why is it when ever someone asks a question pertaining to a Vexilar, the Marcum owners butt in? This is a Vexilar thread.
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline Shienar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EVERYONE GET BENT
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:57 PM »
check out vexilar.com and go through their videos

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:12 PM »
Why is it when ever someone asks a question pertaining to a Vexilar, the Marcum owners butt in? This is a Vexilar thread.

Maybe some are unaware that Marcum offers more features for less money in the top end units...Been running the LX-5 and FL-20 side by side for 3 years now, you would be surprised what a FL-20 misses.....Vex's served me well for many years untill a friend put a LX-5 next to my FL-18 one day......LX-5 can be had at your door for $419 at the moment, a little less than any price I have seen for a FL-18/20 especialy by the time you add soft pack and tri beam......

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:43 AM »
I love my fl 20 all about the zoom  ;D ;D But when they have a lot of them left over from this bad ice season im going to get a fl22 with tri-beam trans   ;D
Never to many short poles

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:55 AM »
Any they all work great

Offline asselin24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2012, 01:13 AM »
if I was gonna do it over. And I was on a limited budget (which I am), I would buy the fl-8. it will get the job done. does the same thing as my fl-20. shoes me where the fish are...

Offline oldfisher68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:25 AM »
I bought a FL8 back when if you wanted a genz box you had to build your own.  Still works great so I see no upgrade in my future.  You have used the basic and know what it delivers.  It is a matter of deciding if that is enough.  You will never regret buying a better tool unless you really don't care for the extra features. :icefish:

I have the same FL8. It takes a licking and keeps on turning. I did have to upgrade the box, because it fell apart.

Offline meier247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:57 AM »
U know I said to buy a marcum I've used them all and marcum by far had the most performance and quality for me...everyones gunna sit and bash on the other units because they own this or that...marcum has picked up more than any other unit but in all reality they all wrk...its about ur budget or ur preference and what u want in the unit...so don't listen to anyone but urslef in what U want and get that if u want a vex get it and I hope it works good for u or u get a hummingbird or marcum I hope it wrks for u just get what u want cause it don't matter what u get there's good in bad in everything u buy one persons is great and the nxt person wrks like junk

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2012, 07:33 AM »
Maybe some are unaware that Marcum offers more features for less money in the top end units...Been running the LX-5 and FL-20 side by side for 3 years now, you would be surprised what a FL-20 misses.....Vex's served me well for many years untill a friend put a LX-5 next to my FL-18 one day......LX-5 can be had at your door for $419 at the moment, a little less than any price I have seen for a FL-18/20 especialy by the time you add soft pack and tri beam......

I disagree. In shallow water, <6', or heavy vegetation, a Vexilar with low power mode will see 110 X more fish than a Marcum.

dc     

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2012, 07:57 AM »
fl8se will get the job done. but if you got the cash get whatever fits the budget.

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:06 AM »
I think it makes makes marcum guys feel better about there purchas when they see other people buy junk that is why they push marcum...lol...
FISH ON

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:14 AM »
thanks for all the advice guys. i think im going to buy a marcum ::) :P. just kiddin. i ordered and fl 18 propack today. cant wait till it comes in!!!

Have fun with it, it will serve you well :)

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #50 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:37 AM »
After you get some use with it, write up a review we want to hear about your experience with it.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline GRIZZZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:42 AM »
Had a FL8 for 10 years.......

Bought the Genz FL 18 last year and man what a difference! 

$400 at Cabalas  :tipup:

Offline Mr.J5625

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:48 AM »
Had a FL8 for 10 years.......

Bought the Genz FL 18 last year and man what a difference! 

$400 at Cabalas  :tipup:

the marcum VX-1 has the same features as the FL-18 but its only 299.99, probably cheaper if you look around. why spend over $200 more for same features?  ;D

Offline GRIZZZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:52 AM »
the marcum VX-1

Almost puld the trigger on the Marcum, put i had good luck with the Vexilar 8, so i went with another one................Bot h are good for sure!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:09 AM »
some people prefer globby over crisp and clean. its ok.  ;D

Offline Belgianbuctail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:15 PM »
Not bash on Vex as I have never owned one but Marcum's customer service from what I have seen is bar none.  Maybe Vex has the same service.  The LX-5 is a great fishing tool never had a problem with it.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:22 PM »

which vex do i want?

I prefer the black one ;)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:05 PM »
I disagree. In shallow water, <6', or heavy vegetation, a Vexilar with low power mode will see 110 X more fish than a Marcum.

dc   

I disagree also having used both in that situation....thats how I ended up with 2  LX-5's wife could see what was going on with mine but her FL-18 was a mess.... And yes I know how to set up and run a Vex...

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:25 PM »
I owned a fl20 for 3 or 4 yrs and loved the flat screen! I sold it to upgrade to a marcum lx5 because I like the finer lines better myself. But one thing I noticed right away is the screen is smaller and I hate that its not a flat screen. I still like the lx5 better, just wish it had a flat screen! I like the vex zoom better, the movable zoom is nice but I only zoom the bottom usually and found the vex zoom quicker and more convienient. If I bought another vex it would without a doubt be one with a flat screen and zoom. That would narrow it down to another fl20, fl22, or a fl12. My 2 cents. (assuming the 12 has zoom, cant remember)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #59 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:29 PM »
But the one you can afford. They all work the same.

See fish...maybe catch fish. That's about it :-\

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.