Author Topic: Dippin on the ice?  (Read 2573 times)

Offline vtlakertaker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Dippin on the ice?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:21 PM »
Used to be Skoal wintergreen or mint for me. It's been 8 years on the first since my last dip. Now its bubble gum, like a pack a day. ;D

Finally got some negative 0 temps, and will be making my first trip out fishing this weekend! ;)

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:31 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:This post was way too funny...never thought this would be a topic to read...bring on the ice :thumbsup:

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:42 PM »
For the first year I probably thought about it every day. The 2nd and 3rd year I had the craving once in a while. Now 4 + years and I really can ' remember the last time I craved a dip.

Oh yeah for the record it was skoal mint.

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:39 PM »
Cope, wintergreen long cut.  Don't dip a lot, a tin will last about two weeks, but I really enjoy it.  Playing golf or cutting grass, or anything outside.  Won't dip in the house.
Shut up and fish.

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:52 PM »
A can plus a day of kodiak wintergreen for a little over eight years now. Really got to quit it I am obsessed with it but it will kill in the end.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:29 AM »
15 years of smoking, quit cold turkey....by starting dipping Cope and Skoal for the next 15 years! Quit Millenium New Year's. Never looked back. The secret....and not a SINGLE craving from day one....YOU ACCEPT that you are now not a tobacco user...period.  When you put your mental attitude into the space of being a tobacco-free person (like 90% of the world's population) from that day on I never had a problem with any cravings or urges. It just wasn't a part of my life any more. Yeah, once in a great while when a guy would pull his tin I'd ponder for a second then think of the day I leaned back in my chair at work against the window sill and knocked my spit cup down the back of my neck.

My biggest fear BEFORE I quit was I thought I'd go stir crazy without having something to do when I wasn't doing anything else. Ha! Turns out I started paying attention to all those things around me every minute of the day that I USE to observe before I ever got started. Being clean and looking back is one of the best things you can experience!
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:37 AM »
Cope snuff, not quite a tin a week for the last 34 years

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:47 AM »
Jig em up!

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Haven't had one since the first week in September and haven't craved one either...

Same here!  Ibought a can for a fishing tournament first weekend in September , finished the can that day !  Both top and lower lip full of chew.  When the tournement was over so was my chew habit!

I have been ice fishing and haven't even thought about chewing.

Offline Hilts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:17 AM »
The Smokey Mountain stuff helped a lot, I didn't really crave the nicotine just the motions if that makes sense.  Takes a lot to quit, but it's good to do it and leaves more money for fishing.

I know what you mean.  I quit and went to the herbal stuff when the prices went up.  I used it for about 3-4 months and didn't miss the nicotine.  It was the habit of having something in my lip.  I found stuff that was cheaper than any of the herbals though and started up again.  If they made a cheaper alternative I would probably quit again.

I started dipping skoal in college to stay awake while studying and have been doing it ever since(almost 10 years).  I am on the longhorn straight now.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:28 AM »
I smoked a pack a day of cigs for 10 years, when i quit the first 2 days were hard after that i don't remember even wanting a cig.
After chewing a can a day for 10 years i quit about 2 months ago and i still have cravings on and off throughout the day. Quitting chewing has been much harder for me.

Offline graybeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:13 PM »
Been at it for 40+ years. Kodiak wintergreen for the last 15 or so.  But I haven't bought a can over a week, and hope to kick the habit. Finished the Kodiak, but threw in a pouch of some cheap crap once in a while from the start to wean myself. Down to one pouch a day now, so hopefully I can get off and stay off.
I'd rather be :icefish:

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:18 PM »
Been at it for 40+ years. Kodiak wintergreen for the last 15 or so.  But I haven't bought a can over a week, and hope to kick the habit. Finished the Kodiak, but threw in a pouch of some cheap crap once in a while from the start to wean myself. Down to one pouch a day now, so hopefully I can get off and stay off.
Good luck to you guys trying to quit. I bought some of that all mint snuff in the pouches. That helped me cut down. Then when i did quit i bought a bunch of suck on candy to keep my mouth busy.

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:39 PM »
Copenhagen snuff for me can per week for last 27 years.  Quitting is the hardest thing to do..... I've quit many times!

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #44 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:52 PM »
You guys really need to look up Swedish snus.  Not that Camel crap but the real deal.  I used to dip and smoke.  Then I found the real cure all.  I buy it straight from sweden over the internet.  It is steam cured rather than fire cured.  This results in less Tsna's  which are the cancer causing agents in smokeless.  In Sweden barely anybody smokes anymore and they use this stuff instead.  Their cancer rates are amongst the lowest in the industrialized world.  Just look it up and decide for yourself.  when I dipped I hated it.  tore up my mouth and like said by others wanted it till it was in and oh the heartburn, my god.  I am truly addicted to the nic and have found this to be the best alternative to not being able to quit.  Anyways check it out.  Great resource is Snuson.com forum  lot of smart individuals who will provide a lot of the documentation if you ask.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline FishinJenn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ME! :)
« Reply #45 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:55 PM »
and nothing beats seeing brown spit and old chew all over the ice.  :sick:
Ick, yep, my 'ol man dips and I hate it, so nasty on the ice!!( :%$#!:anywhere really) I try to make him use a spitter, but he says he's outside...  I smoke, but my butts go in my pocket or in a can....
Kids who hunt, fish and trap...dont mug little old ladies.

<span style='display:block !important; width: 170px; text-align: center; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12px;'><a

Offline Mrmagikpuma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:59 PM »
Grizz wintergreen all the way. That or anything me and my freinds can get

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:12 PM »
  Same here!  Must be an upstate NY thing.

That's what everyone seems to chew in my town too

Offline MitchMeyers92

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:50 PM »
grizzly wintergreen here

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #49 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:58 PM »
Congrats to all those that have kicked or or trying to. At 58 I've done a lot of foolish things in my time (A LOT), but that is one thing that never called. Plug nor dip nor leaf has ever passed this cheek and gum.......... I don't even like to let a cigar dangle too long (didn't say I didn't have any vices...). It just ain't right if you have to spit.

No indictment of those of you who enjoy that. Never believed in legislating lifestyle either. Live and let live......... Though the brown spatters on the ice are a little disconcerting.

/mike
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #50 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:00 PM »
Grizz Green   :tipup:

Grizzamtiz it is here too  :tipup:

Offline hoythunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:08 PM »
im going on a week now not smoking.i was on chantix to quit but the whole time i was on it i still smoked.soon as i ran out i quit its hard because my wife smokes to and she wont quit says she not ready to  i  say what ever but you cant smoke when im in the vehicles.

Offline BOOBSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Oh ya buy the way I don't spit on the ice think its inconciterate. Either swallow it or spit in a plastic bottle wrapped in tinfoil.

Offline FISHAHOLIC-19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:12 PM »
Skoal mint.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:12 PM »
im going on a week now not smoking.i was on chantix to quit but the whole time i was on it i still smoked.soon as i ran out i quit its hard because my wife smokes to and she wont quit says she not ready to  i  say what ever but you cant smoke when im in the vehicles.
Make sure you figure how much money you are saving then put that money away and put it towards fishing.

Offline ridin_high25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:59 PM »
Copenhagen long cut.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Cope whiskey blend

Offline jigumup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to Fish Forced to Work!
« Reply #57 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Cravings haven't stopped. In fact reading this has me craving Skoal long cut wintergreen again.

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #58 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Left that habit and went to seeds.  This flavor is unbelievably dee-lish...

Other brands have dill pickle flavored seeds out there, but they don't compare to this brand...

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline laker24taker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:33 PM »
Grizzly mint for me been dipping for years and still love it
(img)http://i44.tinypic.com/2e5k1s2.jpeg(img)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.