Author Topic: Dogs and Ice fishing  (Read 6666 times)

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Dogs and Ice fishing
« Reply #60 on: Nov 20, 2009, 03:44 PM »
If I saw that on the ice I would probably crap myself laughing. Don't feel bad my mom dresses her cats up for holiday pictures and the look on thier faces say "I am not happy about this!". I keep telling her it's animal cruelty to do that.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #61 on: Nov 20, 2009, 03:45 PM »
Yep. Bring yer b***h and leave the hound-dogs (males) home. They don`t have to lift their leg and they ain`t about markin` their scent either. They keep out of your gear better too.

I have a bunch of stuff in my yard and I`m a tenant so I can`t say much. Another tenant has a tiny, male dog.  That SOB marks everything in sight that`s a few inches off the ground! %$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

I would stuff that mutt down a 3 inch hole if it came anywhere near me on the ice! SS&S!!!!  ;D I think it wizzed on my leg while I was talking to the dude!!! All he did was laugh!  :roflmao:
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:04 PM »
i brought my akita for 10 years and he never went more than 50 feet from me because he was trained . if your dog dont mind- you leave it home. i had a dog run at least 300 yards to come see my dog who stood by my side off leash because i took time with him, while the other owner had to run the full distance to retrive his dog .so i see both sides of the coin. he was one of my best fishing partners he weighed 150lbs and rode in my canoe without any problems so a dog can be fun as long as the owner has a brain in their head.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #63 on: Nov 22, 2009, 11:25 AM »
I think dogs are great on the ice....if they're cooked right.   ;D

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Nov 22, 2009, 12:09 PM »
Man's best friend. Why wouldent you bring them.  They can fetch beer from the sled ;D.

Offline TeamTwoSticks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 13, 2009, 07:48 AM »
i have an alaskan malamute and she loves the cold.  these dogs were meant to live in the harsh conditions and i think that it would be a real treat for her to get out and pull my shanty onto the ice for me.  she is still a pup so i have a year to wait but i think it will be alot of fun.  when i was younger we had a malamute that would pull us around on a sled for hours, he just loved to do that.
  i have already looked into a harness, and i am thinking of using ice anchors to tie her up while on the ice. 

has anyone else used their dog this way?

you do have to be careful when you encounter a dog for the first time. you can never tell whats going to happen, i dont let my dogs run around unless there isn't anyone else around.

servocam

« Reply #66 on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:15 AM »
... i think that it would be a real treat for her to get out and pull my shanty onto the ice for me.  she is still a pup so i have a year to wait but i think it will be alot of fun.  when i was younger we had a malamute that would pull us around on a sled for hours, he just loved to do that.
  i have already looked into a harness, and i am thinking of using ice anchors to tie her up while on the ice.  

has anyone else used their dog this way?

Glad I found this thread and TeamTwoStick, I was also thinking your question.
1.  Do I bring my well trained, well socialized, well behaved 50 lb wedge-head beast out ice fishing?
2.  Do I harness her to pull the sled?

She is 1/2 Pittbull and a very good puller (1/2 Boxer, so sometimes pretty silly).  She does not have any fat, and has very thin fur.  She does like the cold, however, when too cold, she won't go outside.  She does have a jacket she likes to wear and have not purchased booties yet for her.

I was going to buy a harness and have her pull one of the kids around in the snow.

Space Savings Mode - curl up in tiny ball and sleep in the cat bed

Has anyone taught thier dogs tricks for ice fishing?
- I was thinking I could teach her to come get me or bark when tip-up flag pop's up.  After all, she is smart enough to play Red Light / Green Light w/ the kids and get the newspaper on command, then she should be capable of this.

Just not sure how others would like to hear a barking dog.

Offline bigrockman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 13, 2009, 11:45 AM »
I have taken my GSP out there in the past, and he gets too figgidty to bring along. He is trained,but when I am runnin' and gunnin' looking for fish, it would be a hassle to drag him all over. He is 11 years old, so I don't know if he would like the long time exposure to the ice/cold. My Fishtrap is not really made for a dog. Dog had a good time dinging around the ice, when I used to take him.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.