Author Topic: Travelling to Saskatoon next week, looking for info  (Read 575 times)

Offline Moneray

• IceShanty Rookie
Travelling to Saskatoon next week, looking for info
« on: Feb 05, 2009, 10:37 PM »
Hello all and thanks in advance for reading my post, I appreciate it.  I will be driving to Saskatoon next week from Ontario and will be spending a few days with family.  I live in Mitchell, small town Ontario near one of Ontario's duck hunting spots.  I'm an avid outdoors person, grew up in Northern Ontario, love to hunt and fish (in fact I am going ice fishing tomorrow 5am).  Could I ask a few fellow members to let me know the name's of any outfitters you know or used that guide in Saskatchewan.  I want to get out ice fishing for a day or two between Feb 14th - 20th so if you know where I can hook into some eye's or perch can you let me know.  I would like to use an outfitter or some one who wants to guide for the day. I guide waterfowl every fall so it would be nice to pay it back and use a guide. 

Can you list some outfitters for the following:
 - Waterfowl
 - Moose
 - White tail
 - Ice fishing

I have always wanted to try Saskatchewan and have been told by family members that live there that I would love it there and have been bugging me to move out there.  They know how much of a die hard I am when is comes to being outdoors, hunting, and fishing.

Just recently I have been looking for work in the Saskatoon area so I can be closer to some of my family.  I am a mechanical engineering technologist with 10 years experience in mechanical design, and project management.  If you could let me know of any places that are hiring in the area I would appreciate it.  There are a ton of web pages with jobs posted but some times talking/chatting to a real person is a much better tip.  I would like to thank any one who reply’s to me and I look forward to spending some time in your great province.

Take care,
Jason   

Offline SK-PikeHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SDFT. Saskatchewan Drinking and Fishing Team
Re: Travelling to Saskatoon next week, looking for info
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2009, 10:50 PM »
Well the whitetail season is over, and if i'm not mistaken so is moose season.  I am not sure about fowl, i dont hunt birds.

So ice fishing is your only outing i can see, but its alright, greatest fishing in the world here in Saskatchewan.

Poke around in the ice fishing Saskatchewan section of this forum located here http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=28.0

also for a more in depth forum regarding only fishing in Saskatchewan, visit www.fishingsaskatchewa n.ca , absolutely loads of information waiting in those two spots.....

good luck wherever you make it out, and welcome to Saskatchewan, the land of living skies.

Offline Moneray

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2009, 11:25 PM »
Thanks I am aware all hunting is over for the year but I want to plan for next season.  I just wanted to clear that up.

Cheers..

Offline SK-PikeHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2009, 11:32 PM »
ow, well in that case, you should have plenty of time to do some research before next season......there or plenty of monster bucks roaming this province, home of, as i'm sure you know, the record handson buck shot around my hometown, biggar!

as far as guided ice fishing i am really not too sure about that, never heard of it, but then again i have never asked around really.  good luck.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2009, 02:34 PM »
I fished eye's with a couple of buddies from Toon town (during the summer) not too far south of town. You could easily do the lake by yourself (if the regs say it's open). Easy to find too. Just ask where the man made ski hill is.   ;)
I thought it was pretty funny driving theough the praries to find a down hill ski hill the poped up like a prarie pimple.  ;D

Here's a couple of summertime eye's from that lake.

Offline Moneray

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2009, 03:51 PM »
Those are some nice size eye's and healthy looking too, bet they tasted really good.  I will ask around when I get out there and see if some one can point me in the right direction.  I like to hit the local bait shops and talk to the guys there, always a ton of good info on where to start.  Heck I met a guy from one shop who gave me a couple gps points and he put me right on them.

Thanks again.

Offline SK-PikeHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2009, 07:41 PM »
Blackstrap eyes.........

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2009, 09:47 PM »