Author Topic: Caught this minnow and used! - need ID  (Read 1801 times)

Offline serveprotect

• IceShanty Rookie
Caught this minnow and used! - need ID
« on: Mar 06, 2012, 11:33 AM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Caught this on the St Lawrence while jigging for perch.  This "minnow" was at least 10 inches.  Put it on tip up and landed one decent pike.  Pulled it out, used again had a very fast runner that I lost when I set the hook.  This fish was making some weird noises when we pulled it out.  I am thinking it may be a large emerald shiner but I am not sure.  If anyone can ID this I would like to know.  Also,  any methods to target this fish specifically?  Large bait like this is hard to find and It seemed to turn the predators on.  Also, NY law would only permit trapping on site. 

Offline fl18guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Caught this minnow and used! - need ID
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2012, 11:38 AM »
is it a fallfish. caught a bunch on the mohawk river this year while jigging. a few were about 8 in long. marked many on the flasher right on the bottom . They wouldnt hit with any consistency though. did Average 2-3 every trip.

Offline serveprotect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2012, 11:57 AM »
I do not think it is a fallfish.  It was more light colored, all silver back and white under.  It did have similar scales.  Caught in slackwater bay.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2012, 11:59 AM »
looks like fallfish, could very well be a creekchub, they get pretty big 14-15" or more. Creekchubs squeak and grunt when ya squish em.
Here`s a cpl of creek chubs from my baittanks--->   

Offline serveprotect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2012, 12:14 AM »
may be a creek chub looks a little lighter than yours but maybe variation?  How can you catch these for bait?? In NY you have to catch bait where you are fishing so that makes it a little more complicated. 

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2012, 12:29 AM »
Bread or dry dogfood in a trap will get chubs.may want to open the holes a little to allow bigger ones in

Offline serveprotect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2012, 01:09 AM »
cool guys, how do you trap when everything is iced up?  Unfortunately I have to catch them at the same spot I am fishing and if I have read the rules correctly, I am not allowed to transport them... almost forces you to not catch your own bait. 

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2012, 07:33 AM »
Your average minnow trap will fit thru a 10" auger hole with a little bit of chisel work.

I have built PVC bait holder tubes for storing bait on non transport lakes. I attached a 3/4"x 3" x 12" long board to the chain and slip a 3/4" x 12" round foam hole cover over the chain and I would put the tube down the hole and cover it with snow. The foam cover and the snow on top will prevent the hole from freezing up for up to 3 or 4 days depending on the temps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.