Author Topic: Smelting shanty  (Read 1941 times)

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
Smelting shanty
« on: Jan 20, 2004, 01:36 PM »
Anyone got any tips that i could use to make some smelt rigs in my shanty, thanx
~AdkIceman~
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline Jocko

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eyes Giant Eyes!
Re:Smelting shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2004, 02:04 PM »
iceman,
there is a post in the equipment section for speed reels, its a quite a ways down the list now and looks like the pic is gone.  But you might check into how to make one for your shanty.  They are popular here in N. Mich.

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Smelting shanty
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2004, 09:00 AM »
just went last night got 50 smelts its alot of fun trying this.This is how we do it in Maine. We build a 5-8 shack on the front wall we run  open hole in the flore 7 feet long And 1 foot deep .Now you can fish 5 lines in side your shack. Get five Ice fishing reals And nail them to the wall lode themwith ice fishing line and the last 10 feet 5 pound mono leader.You will need size 10 hooks I use nymph fly tying hooks.Run one hook at the bottom. Then a 1/4 once sinker 6 inches above the hook.Now get the number 10 nymp hook in a long shank. That will help geting the hook away from the line tie it right on the line 1 foot above the sinker than one more above that.Now Get 5 hake saw blades and nail them on the wall so the end would line up in the midle of your drilled hole.You can srew the blade to the wall with a screw in the hole at the end of the blade.Now bend the blade up about 35 degres. Now you have a sping bober.Now take a wooden match and jame it in the hole at the other  end of the blade.Set your lines at diff.depths and make a lope in the line and hang it of the match .Now you can see the smallest bite.Now go at night bring a car or boat battery and a car head light drill a hole in the shack you should have rome float the light in the hole wire it up the light brings in the smelts like crazy at night.Us a very small peace of cut bait on your hooks A little biger than a match head.The smelts suspend in the light or just bellow it 6 feet to 20 feet.You will kill them One night we got 200. it is fun great bait great food.
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Smelting shanty
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2004, 12:21 AM »
any smelters
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.