Author Topic: Good 2 person ice shanty???  (Read 18677 times)

piker

Good 2 person ice shanty???
« on: Jul 28, 2003, 02:47 PM »
This year I would like to purchase a 2 person ice shanty (portable) so that I can take my grandson out ice fishing.  I think he'll apreciate getting out of the wind and hopefully grow to love it as much as I do.

What is a good shanty the is fairly light and easy to take down and put up?  Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re:Good 2 person ice shanty???
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2003, 09:25 AM »
check out : cabela's.com they have a nice selection. what may be good for one person may not be good for you so do your homework. good luck.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2003, 11:19 AM »
hey Piker. did you find a shanty for yourself yet?

piker

« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2003, 12:50 PM »
Still checking out the options.  Have to be careful of weight now that I'm getting a little older and my grandson isn't ready to help much yet.

Thanks for the info.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2003, 09:19 AM »
did you check out cabelas.com yet?

piker

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2003, 09:52 AM »
Yes, I took a look at their stuff and also some other sites that I found.  Now I'm just trying to make the decision and somehow sitting here sweating in this heat and humidity I have a tough time concentrating on the shanty.  What will happen is that the season will get close and I'll rush out and buy one.   Thanks for your info.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2003, 08:05 PM »
hey no problem. always glad to help.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2003, 08:07 PM »
i always try to use a shanty that is twice as big as i need ( that is 2 people fishing use a 4 man house) the extra room is a blessing.

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2003, 07:48 AM »
Piker,last season I bought a shappell 2 man shanty.My daughter loves it.I believe I paid a little more than $200 for it.It sets up in a minute and isnt too heavy.The only downfall is dragging it on soft snow.Especially with the rest of your gear on it.I solved that problem by strapping it on my jet sled for soft snow.Works like a charm.Best of luck.

piker

« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2003, 07:51 AM »
Thanks for the input, I'll take a look at it.

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 2003, 12:18 AM »
Piker, I bought a fish trap guide last season. I love it, 61# one man can pull it easy. Also I use it by my self, lots of room and  sets up in 2mins.  
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 20, 2003, 01:42 PM »
do your homework on this so you are not sorry about your purchase later.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2003, 08:12 PM »
Piker,
We own a Cabelas ice shanty.  Got it on sale a couple of years ago for a good price (~ 80.00).  Dimensions are 5 x 6 x 6ft.  The only catch is you need to build the floor (easy).  We love it and have had many enjoyable trips witht the kids.

Oh yea.  My personal best in getting it up is 53 seconds.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Cold as Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2003, 01:07 PM »
I got the shappel 2000, im a big guy and its a little tight for 2 people + gear, I prefer to use it by myself with the dawg. Im going to build the portable ice shanty from fishontario.com
but i plan to go a little bigger 4x8. if anyones built one that big please tell me how you like it and how it is pulling it on the ice. i dont have a snowmobile or ATV so it should be fairly easy to pull thanks  :)
Ken.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2003, 03:30 PM »
Cold as Ice   If you plan to enlarge the FishOntario hut to 4x8 you better have someone with you to help pull it! The 42"x6' is heavy enough by itself,Fish ontario site even recomends a ATV or Snowsled to pull it. If you are really want to use their plans consider cutting out sections  of the back and front and covering those sections with 4x8 alum. sheets or tarp material *Use a cut down 3x5alum sheet for the door/with 1/2 lath strips for backing. Also consider other materials for the runners such as the"New Style" structural joists,or 5/4 x6 lumber with 1 1/2x1 1/2 cut from the middle.Just some rambling ideas;For further ideas and plans search back in the ICE SHANTY archives from last year and you will find all the info you will need.

Good Luck-Good Fishing   ICE ICE ICE ICE!!!
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2003, 07:29 AM »
I agree with you himo.  I have a new Frabill Ranger Triplex, and have only installed 2 seats.  Makes for much more room, not only for those fishing, but for the extras that you might along with you.  Weight is no problem, as once it is on the ground, we will yard it around with the pickup truck, snowmobile, or atv, depending on what we have readily available at the time.  Comeon ice!!!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 13, 2003, 11:20 AM »
I agree with flash king on the weight issue. I built it 4x8 and it is heavy but I just hang it out the back hatch of my mini-van and drive it out and then you can pull it around once you get there. I modified the plans and put in 3 rectangular hatches with hinged covers to give more floor space when holes are not being used. I also made it a foot higher for more head room. total cost was $100.00 and one weekend of my time. good luck.

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 19, 2003, 05:38 PM »
I have the Shappell 3000 deluxe. I love it because there are 2 windows down the 6 foot sides that are about 12 inches high and from a folding lawn chair they are at the right height.Plastic floor thats carpeted for insulation and sound with two 11x24 hinged floor panels that open up for jigging and with a buddy heater in it it's the balls. Both ends have zipper doors and mine fits 2 people comfortably. You have to anchor it down though or it will blow away. I use the toggle method.Takes about a minute to set up and take down and folds into a flat sled, but like BJ said, soft snow makes it hard to pull unless you use bungy cords to strap it to a jet sled.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 28, 2003, 07:46 AM »
going to attempt to build a light 2 person for one place that i fish. going to go with a wooden base then use conduit for the walls and roof.  then hopefully bolt 1/8" flooring mat. for the walls with iso for insulation and added srtength.  anyone ever go this root before?
BUD

missfishylicious

« Reply #19 on: Sep 28, 2003, 08:34 AM »
I have the shapell 2000 it is cramped with the gear inside but wieghs almost nothing I am not in good shape but have no trouble draging it around it does bog down some in deep snow but I just find a snowmobile trail to follow it goes up in a flash and folds flat I strap a couple lawn chairs to it and were off.sounds like the 3000 deluxe would be perfect a littlemore room and two windows

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2003, 07:51 PM »
what is the size difference between the shappel 2000 and the clam 2000?
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 26, 2003, 07:48 AM »
I would recommend a Fish Trap or Otter flip up style shanty. Easy to setup and easy to take down.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

gov

« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2003, 06:41 AM »
I had to make a shanty change from a 1-man to a 2-man this fishing season myself. I fished with a fellow icenut who has a Icetrap Guide, we alway's had plenty of room for gear and ourselves. I've purchased the FishTrap Guide at a reasonable price and it's easy to use. Glad I chose The Fish Trap............

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2003, 07:45 AM »
Different strokes for different folks. I like fishing out of all the different shanties, I try to get a feel for all of the models that I can and see which one better suits the application and style of the different models available but WOW there are too many to see them all.

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2003, 09:49 AM »
For your info,
I got plans and built a shanty last year. It's 4x8. It's a palace BUT it's heavy and needs to be pulled with a vehicle. When set up it looks like a Canastota wagon. The ends collapse for storage. If you want a site with a lot of shanties try marinegeneral.com and take your pick. Good luck

packerbacker
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2003, 03:52 PM »
Go with the dx3000 shappell. 42 lbs and sets up in under 2 minutes. Strap it on a jet sled for deep snow
Bobberstop

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2004, 09:51 PM »
is a Mr.Buddy type heater good enough to keep it fairly warm in the 3000, even at -10.  Would you stay overnight in it?

Offline loby

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Patience!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2004, 06:01 PM »
Anyone out there ever try a glacier? Looking to buy & could use some feedback...Thanks
lobymusic.com

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2004, 09:50 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.