Author Topic: Frabill Ultra Lite....Any Opinions?  (Read 2407 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Frabill Ultra Lite....Any Opinions?
« on: Oct 09, 2004, 03:28 PM »
I'm thinking of buying Frabill Ultralite. The old Fish Trap gets heavier every year....yeah that's it...it gets heavier ???

Anyone use this portable? Any opinions?

Thanks in advance,
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline hwangler001(formerly icey)

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Frabill Ultra Lite....Any Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2004, 05:16 PM »
I bought a Frabil Ultra Lite last year after using a fish trap for ten years. The Frabil is lighter and easier to pull. The fabric held up well and provided good protection during last hellish winter here in NY. The frabill does not come with any seating so be prepared to fork out another $75 for the swivel seat and stand. The seat adds a fair amount of weight but I think still less than my old trap. Nice thing about the seat you can take it out before lifting the sled back onto the truck or trunk. Looks like the trap will get passed down to the kid and the Ultra lite is a keeper

IC

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2004, 05:58 PM »
Icey,
 Sounds like our traps are about the same vintage. Mine has the deep tub with the shelf in the back. It's at least 10 yrs old.

Thanks for the input....guess I'll have to check one out...if I can find one on the floor at a store nearby. Where did you get yours?

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2004, 08:51 PM »
]RG I bought my fish trap better than 10 years ago at walmart. Such a thing was just about unheard of then. I almost fainted when I saw them...almost as revolutionary as the fl8. I got my frabill at Mayhoods in NY. Frabil has a list of retailers in your area.

Patiently waiting for ice,

IC

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2004, 12:38 AM »
Icey, do you think its kinda narrow? Like hard to fish 2 poles? I have a Rover and 2 poles is almost out  of the question.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2004, 10:34 PM »
The fabric held up well and provided good protection during last hellish winter here in NY.

Give it a couple years!! ???  I have had mine for a few years and its not holding up very well.  The corners on the top started wearing out the first year!!  It is very thin material.  I bought a Trap Scout a couple years ago and will never buy a different brand!! ;D
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • nothin like hard h2o
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2004, 07:39 AM »
Bob, I understand about getting heavier, and I don't think it has to do with adding more essential stuff every year.  I also thought about buying a new Trap. Instead I just ordered a new canvas to fit my old sled and saved $$$$$. 8) 8)   You can buy them direct from Clam Corp.
guy

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2004, 06:06 PM »
Iceguy,
The old trap may well be "lighter" by the time season rolls around. I just started a new job as facilities supervisor for a major health and tennis club. Workout is considered part of the daily routine.

schwung
Thanks for commenting on the fabric's longevity. My trap's canvas is holding up just fine. I was wondering about that lighter weight stuff.

Still thinking ???
RG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2004, 06:44 PM »
They did improve the fabric for the 2004 season. Check one out.

IC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2004, 11:16 AM »
I got mine put away but if I remember there is some molded parts on the floor of the sled. You might want to make sure a bucket would sit level on the floor and not tip to one side, other than that a bucket will save weight but maybe not your back.

Icey

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2004, 10:42 PM »
I had a fishtrap voyager last year and it was too big and heavy. I researched the options and settled on the Ranger Solo by Frabill. The best thing I found between the Solo and the Scout is the headroom. The solo is 67" tall to give you the ability to stand and change positions. Also if you have a light hanging it gives you a little more room. The solo is big enough for two "cozy" fishermen, but that's about all I fish anyway. Now I can fit it into our SUV without reconfiguring the whole thing. Dark fabric will keep it warm on sunny days and keeps the light out. The Fishtrap did that really well too. The Frabill instantly props open for use as a windbreak by sliding a tab over on the pole. No propping open with a pole. I don't know what the fabric is like compared to the regular Frabill's, but to save weight, it's probably thinner. This is all theory, 'cause this will be my first season in use. Good luck with whatever you have. The season is coming soon enough.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.