Author Topic: Ice shack roofing  (Read 16527 times)

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
Ice shack roofing
« on: Sep 07, 2004, 07:15 AM »
I'm building my first ice shack. it's coming along pretty good....anyway, to the question at hand...we put a 1" pitch on the roof..what kind of roofing material would be best? What does everyone else with a flat roof use?

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline woodyjdh

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!-Certified!
Re: Ice shack roofing
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2004, 07:37 AM »
Around here (Minnesnowda) anyways, most everyone is using a 1 piece seamless aluminum roof.  I have also seen corrugated steel siding used at the roof as well.  This includes many homeade houses as well as the manufactured ones.  Myself, I plan on using the 1 piece seamless aluminum, it is a bit more expensive but shouldn't ever leak!
Where there's a Woody, there's a way!
I don't suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute of it!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2004, 08:02 AM »
1" pitch? Is that 1" per foot or 1" total? Anyway...IMO...metal roofing is the way to go. It will probably outlast the rest of your shanty. ;)

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2004, 08:05 AM »
built my shanty 2 years ago....used 7/16 chipboard...sealed the seams with roofing patch, and 2 good coatings with an oil based enamel...its standing up amazingly well so far....grump

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2004, 09:03 AM »
We are going to have to re-think the roof. We get lots of snow. Granted I will be out there every day to shovel it off, but we need a steeper pitch. Maybe we'll just jack one side up a foot. How do you attach the one peice aluminum roofing to the shack without putting holes in it (making it leak)?

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2004, 09:29 AM »
Dunno...maybe duct tape? ;D

I use the regular ribbed steel and have not had a problem. I used the roofing screws with the rubber washers on them and of course attached them through the top of the ribs.

There are some pics of my shanty on my site. http://www.fishingvermont.net/Articles/Shanty_101.htm Click on the thumb nails for a larger picture. I'm making another modification to it this year. I'll be adding some wider skids to aid in moving it on dirt. The 2x6 's bite in too much on soft ground.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2004, 11:04 AM »
Nice shack bro! How much did the Luan run you? Question...dont the skis sink in and get stuck when the ice re-freezes?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2004, 11:55 AM »
Thanks. I put the shanty on 4x4s so they don't get stuck in the ice. If it gets  too close, I just add more 2x4s to raise it up. Don't forget to anchor the shanty to the ice. I have mine anchored from the inside so people don't cut it loose.

Luan....I don't remember. I want to say it was $6-$7 a sheet, but can't be sure.

Here is a pic of it on it's blocks....

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2004, 12:30 PM »
What do you use for anchors

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2004, 12:31 PM »
Thanks. I put the shanty on 4x4s so they don't get stuck in the ice. If it gets  too close, I just add more 2x4s to raise it up. Don't forget to anchor the shanty to the ice. I have mine anchored from the inside so people don't cut it loose.

Luan....I don't remember. I want to say it was $6-$7 a sheet, but can't be sure.

Hey, with it up on blocks like that and no snow piled around, dont you get alot of wind coming in the hole?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2004, 01:08 PM »
I don't worry about the lack os snow for long. That 1st pic was when I anchored the shanty in December. There is usually plenty of snow around to pile around it. When the wind blows on the lake it puts drifts around the shanty that you can dig into for banking purposes.

The other option is to cut the bottom out of 5 gallon buckets and put them through the holes in the bottom of the shanty.

Here is a pic of what things usually look like...

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2004, 01:40 PM »
Looks alot like northern Michigan in winter! (ok, you have a little less snow)...

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2004, 01:45 PM »
What about ventilation? I dont see any sort of air vents in your shack...i smoke cigars (so do the dudes I fish with)..I'm thinking about trying to vent in some fresh air...do you ever have a problem with condensation

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #13 on: Sep 07, 2004, 01:56 PM »
The 4 side windows open. I made the ends ones fixed because I figured 4 that opened was enough. I don't have a condensation problem. The windows do frost over, but that's hard to avoid without double glazed windows.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 07, 2004, 02:06 PM »
I can tell you put alot of thought into your shack. Wish I woulda asked about it before I started building! Oh well, the next shack will work out better for the experience..

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #15 on: Sep 07, 2004, 02:29 PM »
I can tell you put alot of thought into your shack. Wish I woulda asked about it before I started building! Oh well, the next shack will work out better for the experience..

Not quite enough thought. I'm still tweaking my design. I plan on building a smaller one next summer to put on a different lake. No matter how much you plan, it's never quite right. Kind of like building a house.

Offline woodyjdh

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!-Certified!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 07, 2004, 05:39 PM »
As far as mounting the 1 piece Aluminum roof...I am not sure how they do it (pros or home made).  I saw on one that they used sheet metal screws with the rubber washer on it.  Maybe they even silicone the hole before running the screw in?!  If I find out...I'll let you know.
Where there's a Woody, there's a way!
I don't suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute of it!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2004, 07:48 PM »
i might add not to overtighten the screws as you dont want to tear the rubber washer. ;D

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 08, 2004, 12:33 AM »
built my shanty 2 years ago....used 7/16 chipboard...sealed the seams with roofing patch, and 2 good coatings with an oil based enamel...its standing up amazingly well so far....grump

Of course, you do what you think needs to be done, but as Grump said, up here in the wild north (Canada) we just nail on some plywood and silicon the joints. A few coats of paint every second year and it lasts a long time. I have tried to keep my shantys as light as I can, so no roofing at all. Also that metal makes a noise in the wind. The shanty also has to breath, dont forget. Two reasons: Condensation will build up on the ceiling inside and warp and # two, fresh air is a good thing with one, let alone two guys in there for 12 hours!!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2004, 04:59 AM »
i have always just used celotex insulation board (4x8 sheets) stapled a blue tarp over them.it is lightweight ,the tarp is waterproof and snow slides of of it really easy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.