The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jigged crappie  (Read 726 times)

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
Jigged crappie
« on: Dec 03, 2017, 01:47 PM »
With water temps at 35-37 in a favorite body of water, there was some skim ice on it at sunrise, so this counts. Saved my last few waypoints on this lake, found some brush piles, and pulled up plenty of 11-12" perch and crappie. Would've taken photos. Green and white jig, glow variety, and 1inch of worm. Fish were on bottom and couldn't see them since below cover. Can't wait to get back out there on the ice.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jigged crappie
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2017, 04:39 AM »
RK, fish fry coming up ! :)

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2017, 09:03 AM »
Nice!  How deep were the brush piles?

I haven't fished crappies for a few months since I rediscovered my trout obsession.  And now I'm busy with Salmon in Champlain, on the canoe.  But now you've inspired me to get back to the crappies and scout out some waypoints of my own!

35 degrees-- that's encouraging!  Champlain is still around 47.

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:56 PM »
20ft deep, some of them appeared as rocks on the bottom, but in fact, when dropping the jig..... The rock swam up haha. I have a feeling most of them are still associating with weedlines but I have little patience for casting edges all day. Instead I'll go Look for cover and fish that.
I too took a break from crappie/walleye fishing while chasing after brown trout. Can't beat those colors.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.