Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: big spirit lake reports  (Read 5204 times)

Offline jplp

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your line tight
big spirit lake reports
« on: Feb 16, 2012, 09:12 AM »
whats the latest ice conditions on big spirit? Where is a good place to start and how deep to fish ?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: big spirit lake reports
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:59 PM »
I would fish the main basin anywhere from 20-22 FOW. I'm going to try it this weekend. I know it's been slow this year but something tells me to give it a go...  Gotta trust your gut!

Offline jplp

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your line tight
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2012, 12:22 PM »
Amen ! We will be out on marble beach area to start. Look for us. There will be three of us Green Eskimo pop up and a suitcase house, black. Lets share a beer ! Whoot !  ;D ;D ;D my cell is 515-689-2620

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2012, 06:03 PM »
Drill test holes! Especially out on the main basin if you go out on Marble. I was thinking Crandalls. Don't know what I'll do yet. Ill be in a Trekker Max with the Solo auger!

Offline siyakadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2012, 08:41 PM »
It will be interesting to see how the Perch Tournament turns out, Big Spirit has been my worst area this year for perch.  I have tried everywhere and everything on that lake and have caught 1 jumbo perch and plenty of walleyes.  I gave up last week on Spirit.  But some people have had good luck, I see the pics on Facebook from local Bait shops.  Catch perch everywhere else, just cant hardly buy one on spirit! 
good luck yall

Offline NWice2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:32 AM »
Had a lot of fun at the tournament on Spirit Lake this weekend.  We caught some perch and had a good time.  Numbers are starting to pick up!

Offline w@lleye_rookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2012, 11:58 AM »
Any particular depth or area of the lake that produced best for the ones catching them?

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2012, 09:54 PM »
we did ok there on yesterday but most of the fish had lock jaw  we would pull them off bottom and they would follow jig then go back down.  Tried every trick I new bite was light but we still caught quite a few nothing big but a few keepers still a great time at IGL as always.Good Luck All and be safe ;D ;D ;D ;D
Never to many short poles

Offline Icelogger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2012, 04:53 PM »
I am heading up to big spirit on Saturday and was wondering where they are biting at? I was up there last weekend on east side and only pulled in 1 northern. I moved and still got nothing. I don't want it to be the same turn out as last time. What depth are they hiting at?

Offline NWice2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2012, 11:22 AM »
I would suggest 20-22 fow off of Marble.  Gold was the ticket for us. 

Offline ICEHOUND22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2012, 02:54 PM »
I am bringing my son up for the weekend. What size are the "keeper" perch running? Would like search for the bigger ones, what size should we look for? What size should we "move on" from if we are sitting on them? Also how far out do we have to go from Marble to find fish?  Thanks for any help, this will be our last outing   :'(, so we are hoping to take home a couple meals worth. Thanks for any help, will report monday.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2012, 09:10 AM »
you have to go about 1/2 mile out on marble to do any good but our best bite was on glow pink #10 lindy fat boy for me and waxes t bone style and gold jigs horizontal prestentations were best for me . The ice I was on seemed very good 16" best ice I have drilled all year. Good Luck and be safe wish I was up there again but im going again before its over ;D ;D

Offline ICEHOUND22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2012, 01:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply jumob chaser, those are about the exact setups I usualy start with, usualy throw down a minnow on a frostee also to get the attention on the cruisers. Hope we can get in a good area early, sounds like wind is going to put a damper on alot of hole hoping and searching. Will start off of Marble and see what happens. Thanks again for the advice. :)

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2012, 02:34 PM »
Thinking about taking the 3.5 hr drive and coming up solo, with my newly customized  fish scout this weekend. Anybody else solo and would like to hook up and tackle either Spirit or Boji or both this weekend, message me. Thanks! Just a few pics I took of my leap day off customization of my Clam Scout TC ;D

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2012, 05:52 PM »
Very nice shanty mod there.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Thanks buddy!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Nice set up im going to do that to my flip over when I get it looks awsome ;D ;D PS diddnt have much luck on minnows or jigging spoons GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE GUYS wish I could be there I love it up there west lake ice is about 20" thick great ice to be on there driving on it still

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Very nice shanty mod there.

exactly what i was thinking!  good luck up there asat!  you will definately have a blast!
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.....

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2012, 09:41 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2012, 09:42 PM »
if you dont have any luck on spirit, head over to triboji.  you will see the pack..... 
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.....

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2012, 10:07 PM »
I about forgot best place to stay is where shane told me at northland inn great place and cheap right by bait shop and triboji GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE GUYS wish I was going I am planning a trip up there in mid-march so not to far away  ;D ;D

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2012, 10:19 PM »
I about forgot best place to stay is where shane told me at northland inn great place and cheap right by bait shop and triboji GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE GUYS wish I was going I am planning a trip up there in mid-march so not to far away  ;D ;D

when you are on my kind of budget, cheaper is better. kabeles is awesome, especially if you are fishing spirit.  but if you are sticking to west, northland is awesome because of the easy access to almost everything you need.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2012, 10:33 PM »
Thanks!

Offline DAN03REV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2012, 07:50 AM »
safe enough to drive out truck off Emerson bay boat ramp ??  .. thought of pulling my small trailer house out just for the day ..

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2012, 10:35 PM »
How did everyone do today? Me and a couple buddies are coming up tomorrow.

Offline ICEHOUND22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2012, 08:34 PM »
son and i fished spirit-- yesterday 9 till 6,very long day with the wind, caught a few right way then pretty quit we picked up keepers here and there then had a pretty good run between 5 and6. kept 24 Had to sort thru alot of small ones.---sunday fished 7:30 till 1, real good action to start but when the snow started and the breeze came out the east they pretty well shut down, had to work hard for what u got. kept 14.  tried and caught fish on a little of everything. mostly small jigs and wigglers, some on minnows, and some of the nicer ones on small jigging spoon and waxie. 20-21 ft off of marble. would love to make it up one more time but very well could be last trip of season. :(  15-18 inches of good ice for now, but the heave along shore is getting a little shakey, somebody dropped his 4 wheeler front end thru. good luck and be safe!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.