Author Topic: Panoptix worth the $$$$?  (Read 28795 times)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Panoptix worth the $$$$?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:07 AM »
Its performance begins to lack in 100ft plus.  Kind of a big nut to cough up to lack functionality in the deepest water.   

Some good news on deeper water.

I was speaking with the program manager at their booth at the St. Paul Ice Show and he indicated that engineering is already working on a "zoom" feature to help in deep water. It will be a software upgrade. Said it could possibly happen soon. The more videos/pressure we can give on why it is important (like for Lakers) the higher the priority they will give the project.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:34 AM »
Some good news on deeper water.

I was speaking with the program manager at their booth at the St. Paul Ice Show and he indicated that engineering is already working on a "zoom" feature to help in deep water. It will be a software upgrade. Said it could possibly happen soon. The more videos/pressure we can give on why it is important (like for Lakers) the higher the priority they will give the project.
Awesome!  When it comes to lake trout, I was mostly going to use panoptix to put me on the right spot on structure, and to detect suspended fish off to the sides. using the regular ice transducer to see jig and fish when dropping down deep wouldn’t bother me so much.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:52 AM »
I pulled the trigger this morning on the Garmin +93SV deal at Cabelas, plus took advantage of the 7% back on Active Junky, worked out better than I would have ever guessed when I started out on this adventure.  I also picked up the Livescope and other components from Lisa at Ultimate Passage today.  I have plenty of ice, just need to be patient and wait for the goodies to come.  Special thanks to Gunflint for answering my many questions.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 03, 2018, 01:05 PM »
I pulled the trigger this morning on the Garmin +93SV deal at Cabelas, plus took advantage of the 7% back on Active Junky, worked out better than I would have ever guessed when I started out on this adventure.  I also picked up the Livescope and other components from Lisa at Ultimate Passage today.  I have plenty of ice, just need to be patient and wait for the goodies to come.  Special thanks to Gunflint for answering my many questions.

YOU have great ice. Now we want some great videos, especially some deep water videos. I cannot find any.  Good luck!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:24 PM »
Deep water is not an issue for mr we usually are in the 30-45ft range for perch. Ours are bottom huggers so that’s the hold up right now for me. That last walleye video was impressive and fun to watch.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Dec 04, 2018, 12:38 AM »
Gunflint I have to come out your way and of January for work.  You anywhere near Eden Prairie? 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:13 AM »
I will be north of Grand Marais (300 miles north of Eden Prairie) in January - lake trout fishing if all the planning holds.

Not many lake trout in the minneapolis area.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:58 AM »
Panoptix is starting to catch on with some of the guides here in SD, as they attempt to stay on top of schools of perch. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Dec 04, 2018, 09:51 AM »
I will be north of Grand Marais (300 miles north of Eden Prairie) in January - lake trout fishing if all the planning holds.

Not many lake trout in the minneapolis area.

I am envious.  I will be jigging in my water bottle in meetings...

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 04, 2018, 11:01 AM »
I'm looking at one someone here suggested.  15k but I could use it ice fishing and in the summer where I go striper fishing.  Money well spent. 

Panoptix wise...its only as impressive as the angler using it.  The biggest upside weve found is with laker jigging.  There is some benefit to seeing the laker come in from the side.  Especially in situations where they are suspended.  With a traditional flasher like my flx28 you just see the mark appear below your jig...most times when your goofing around with gear or eating a sandwich!

I wont buy one though...its a giant ducer to setup on the ice...and
Its performance begins to lack in 100ft plus.  Kind of a big nut to cough up to lack functionality in the deepest water.

This is what keeps me from getting it, (and the money but I could probably swing it), I like to bring as little gear as possible and this thing just looks gigantic.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 04, 2018, 11:21 AM »
This is what keeps me from getting it, (and the money but I could probably swing it), I like to bring as little gear as possible and this thing just looks gigantic.

The entire livescope setup fits into the Clam iceflasher bag....so I'd say if the money is there, it really isn't that gigantic compared to some other large ducer setups.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2018, 11:35 AM »
The entire livescope setup fits into the Clam iceflasher bag....so I'd say if the money is there, it really isn't that gigantic compared to some other large ducer setups.

Even that big horseshoe shaped thing?  Do you take things apart to go in the bag? I'm going to wait til next year at the least to see where things go and if Garmin gets any competition to drive the price down.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 04, 2018, 12:01 PM »
Even that big horseshoe shaped thing?  Do you take things apart to go in the bag? I'm going to wait til next year at the least to see where things go and if Garmin gets any competition to drive the price down.

i didn't buy their Horseshoe mount, just made my own. Sounds like competition will be priced higher yet...

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 04, 2018, 12:34 PM »
I have to chuckle a little at the word being used by many. " Justify ". No matter how cheap you go or economical as some like to use. The fact remains you can buy fish cheaper than any method of sport angling. That is before adding any kind of electronics to the equation.

My only two qualifiers "want and afford " .  No matter how much money you have saved over your life. The amount you take with you on death is zero. Which is the exact amount you came in with.

Enjoyment is a little different. Come in with zero and leave with what ever and how ever you lived your life. Over my 71 years of life so far. I have spent a lot on tackle and equipment. But pales in comparison for the non-essentials. Like Housing , Food and Clothing. ;D
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 04, 2018, 01:30 PM »
I have to chuckle a little at the word being used by many. " Justify ". No matter how cheap you go or economical as some like to use. The fact remains you can buy fish cheaper than any method of sport angling. That is before adding any kind of electronics to the equation.

My only two qualifiers "want and afford " .  No matter how much money you have saved over your life. The amount you take with you on death is zero. Which is the exact amount you came in with.

Enjoyment is a little different. Come in with zero and leave with what ever and how ever you lived your life. Over my 71 years of life so far. I have spent a lot on tackle and equipment. But pales in comparison for the non-essentials. Like Housing , Food and Clothing. ;D

The issue is afford....I am skeptical at all the folks claiming they don't "want" one......

A guy stood by a Tesla X which was charging at the mall this last weekend. As if I was somehow involved he informed me he wouldn't be seen driving one of them because the CEO is crazy. I kindly replied and told him he should take a test drive, and take his kid with, as I'd compare it to a Disney ride. He just maintained he didn't like the CEO. Laughable.....so many folks like to claim different reasons for not wanting something, when often it's more a question of affordability.

Now, most employed sports fishermen can probably afford one, but at this price it means shrinking their budget somewhere else.....now if only my insurance costed what it did before Ocare.....

RallyGreen

« Reply #45 on: Dec 04, 2018, 02:34 PM »
You know the meaning of justify is to provide a compelling reason for something, right? The reason is whatever you want it to be. Read into it as much as you want, but read a dictionary first

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 04, 2018, 02:53 PM »
You know the meaning of justify is to provide a compelling reason for something, right? The reason is whatever you want it to be. Read into it as much as you want, but read a dictionary first

That is true. I once had a little 12 ft boat that was referred to as a widowmaker by some buddies. Horrible in even slightest wind and on opened lakes. But I was able to catch fish out of it and made it back alive. Sure sucked not being able to even stand up to stretch. Got rid of it years ago. Bought it cheap, sold it for less.
As far as panoptix and livescope, if performs as advertised, what that is worth, that is up to everyone's decision.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 04, 2018, 02:59 PM »
NOBODY has to buy one...it is fine with me. ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #48 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:17 PM »

Nobody is forcing anyone at gun point to buy 1 , I say if you want something and can afford go for it , and have a fun with the new toy

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:23 PM »
If you don’t have a boat then it may be excessive, but it surely will cut down on the number of holes you need to drill. It will also make your placement of holes a lot more efficient, being able to see exactly where the contours and structures are. You can even see the holes being drilled as it happens and make placement corrections.

Offline flit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 04, 2018, 04:09 PM »
 I want to build a panoptix liveview  I want something simple. things I need  93sv plus and  livescope. I have the marcum shuttle to mounted! What other tings I need?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #51 on: Dec 04, 2018, 04:23 PM »
I think I'm in trouble - I think I have way over spent on my ice-fishing gear.  The $2k for that Garmin Unit is a drop in the bucket, by comparison.  I'm not alone either.  Why is there such discussion about the cost of this thing.  If you want one and can manage to put it in your stash of equipment - go for it.
I've got one on my Amazon XMAS wish list  :P  Wife was asking about it last night. So, you never know.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 04, 2018, 04:25 PM »
Rally Green- hope you enjoy being a troll. If you have no sense of humor don't bother me. You don't get invited to many parties do you ?
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 04, 2018, 05:11 PM »
So you can get a panoptix ice bundle for what ?  Maybe  $ 1800 ?
Can you get a livescope ice bundle, or do you have to piece it together yourself ?
------ and what would it cost for a livescope Ice set up ?
Man-  I would love a set up like that.    The price does make me pause.
What I really need is a buddy with a panoptix !!!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 04, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Answer: make lots of friends.
Veritas Odium Parit

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #55 on: Dec 04, 2018, 05:20 PM »
You can check out Amazon.

Includes ECHOMAP Plus 73cv combo with 3 types of sonar: narrow beam Garmin CHIRP traditional and a Panoptix PS22 transducer with LiveVü Forward and LiveVü Down
GT10HN-IF ice fishing transducer with Garmin CHIRP traditional sonar and narrow beam angle (8 to 16 degrees) for precise fish and jig detection
Preloaded LakeVü HD maps provide industry-leading detail on more than 17,000 lakes
Ability to create custom combination screen to include flasher, map and Panoptix views
Rugged, portable carrying case fits all included parts and is perfect for ice fishing
New (1) from $1,899.99 & FREE shipping.

Don't think that includes the ice-fishing PanOptics mount - if not, add 126$  I'm sure there are other options than Amazon that are a little less.

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 04, 2018, 05:25 PM »
Thanks Phil.  I will check Amazon. 
Gunflint- I have lots of ice fishing buds, but unfortunately  they are all like me-  wishing they had it but waiting for the other chump to buy it first -  lol

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:00 PM »
I was looking on Amazon.  As near as I can tell, the live view forward and live view down  is the older technology.  I mean compared to livescope.  Is that right ?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:18 PM »
If you don’t have a boat then it may be excessive, but it surely will cut down on the number of holes you need to drill. It will also make your placement of holes a lot more efficient, being able to see exactly where the contours and structures are. You can even see the holes being drilled as it happens and make placement corrections.

Have you actually used yours on the ice yet?  I ask because I have had the pleasure on a few occasions and what you mention is more marketing koolaid from my perspective than actual fact.  We still did the same amount of drilling and searching as normal.  What that unit doesnt do is bring fish to you nor does it make them bite.  Now I'll mention that we used it primarily for lake fishing and the only real obvious benefit as I mentioned before, was seeing the suspended fish move in right below the jig.  Not much warning in the traditional flashers when that happens. 

My skepticism is that some people adopt new fishing tech and then for whatever reason try to ram it down others throats.  Many times before they've applied the new toy to their fishing. There was lots of that type of evangalism for the LX7's until they started blowing up left and right.  It took a bit of a humbling for the early adopters to stop being unpaid sponsors.  Such is the way of our material world I suppose. 

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Ok settle down guys. We don’t a pissing match. I started the thread and just wanted people’s opinions not a fight. I was just curious is people who had it already thought it was worth it or if they regretted it. I know it’s kind of new and definitely expensive. I just wanted some real reviews and not just what Garmin had to say.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.