Author Topic: Panoptix worth the $$$$?  (Read 28797 times)

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Panoptix worth the $$$$?
« Reply #90 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:10 PM »
Searching on whether or not this unit could be applied to open water fishing brought me here.  So many questions though.  I'd be trying to use this out of a kayak.  I'd also be much more interested in the livescope.  Will they eventually make a livescope ice bundle?  If I could get something like that, that I could use for ice fishing, put in a kayak, and haul it to Canada for a fly in trip and pop it into a 12 foot boat, I'd be all in!  Anyone have any videos they can share of using the panoptix ice bundle in a kayak?

Check your PM's

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #91 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:32 PM »
A guy was using Panoptic at the local perch hole the other day.  He got his limit when we all were struggling.

Is a limit of perch worth $2500?

Maybe- ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:46 PM »
The same stick that the ice bundle uses for the transducer can be clamped to a boat or kayak with a ram mount, or just attach the included transducer mount to any trolling motor shaft. I use it in my little pond boat attached to the trolling motor, live vu fowards works great. I haven’t tried down vu from the boat yet, I think the motor will get in the way. I’m going to be using it separate from the motor this next season, so I can have down vu and be able to scan around without turning the motor.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:30 PM »
I run my 93sv and PS22 on my kayak in the summer. I would recommend using a diy PVC pole instead of the Garmin mount when you have it on your kayak. Here are some pics of my setup using 1" schedule 80 PVC with 1" schedule 40 PVC fittings, 1" ram ball, 1" ram arm, and 1" ram tough claw.

This is with my old 73sv, but you get the idea:

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:52 PM »
Thinking really hard about the upgrade from the old 73cv to the 93sv plus. Can I just pull the head unit out and snap in the new one? What chances will I be able to sell the 73cv unit alone with no mount or transducer?

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Feb 22, 2019, 12:28 AM »
Thinking really hard about the upgrade from the old 73cv to the 93sv plus. Can I just pull the head unit out and snap in the new one? What chances will I be able to sell the 73cv unit alone with no mount or transducer?

It's a different mount. You can buy the 93sv plus for $570 from Cabela's right now with the boat ducer. It comes with the mount and what not. What I did was sell my 73sv with the new ducer from the plus.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Feb 22, 2019, 08:52 AM »
It's a different mount. You can buy the 93sv plus for $570 from Cabela's right now with the boat ducer. It comes with the mount and what not. What I did was sell my 73sv with the new ducer from the plus.

It is back to $1000 now.

Offline GenesCamp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Feb 22, 2019, 09:35 AM »
It is back to $1000 now.

Bass Pro has them for $599.  You can almost make up the difference if you're an Ebates user.  3.5% cash back vs. 1.5% with Cabela's. 

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #98 on: Feb 22, 2019, 12:24 PM »
The 2019 EchoMAP Plus models have 'NEW G3 MAPPING' and are much more expensive than the same named 2018 models.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Feb 23, 2019, 04:00 AM »

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Feb 23, 2019, 06:40 AM »

Offline GenesCamp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Feb 23, 2019, 03:58 PM »
I'm definitely down the Livescope rabbit hole now.  Thank you to Seamonkey to turning me onto some helpful FB pages with lots of information on DIY kits.

Edit - I mean SkyWagon!  But you're alright too Seamonkey.   ;D

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #102 on: Feb 24, 2019, 04:40 PM »
Bought one, 73cv plus ice bundle.  Liking it so far.  Will probably get a live scope transducer for the heck of it.  Below is a pic of some smelt from this afternoon.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:52 PM »
Bought one, 73cv plus ice bundle.  Liking it so far.  Will probably get a live scope transducer for the heck of it.  Below is a pic of some smelt from this afternoon.

You can make the menu auto-hide and I'd recommend getting rid of the real time on the left side. :)

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Feb 24, 2019, 09:36 PM »
You can make the menu auto-hide and I'd recommend getting rid of the real time on the left side. :)

In depths over 75 I prefer the split screen with the sonar zoomed in to the bottom 10. Makes seeing the lakers way easier. 😉
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #105 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:25 AM »
In depths over 75 I prefer the split screen with the sonar zoomed in to the bottom 10. Makes seeing the lakers way easier. 😉

Id do that but usually leave my jig higher up in the water column.  Kayl Ill figure that out eventually.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:34 AM »
You can manually set the zoom to whatever range you want, and move the zoom window anywhere within the water column.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #107 on: Feb 25, 2019, 06:20 PM »
Emails go out to those buying at $599 saying they are out of stock and unit not shipping, if you can grab one you better do so quick...just got the new catalog where it is listed at $999.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Feb 25, 2019, 06:21 PM »
Emails go out to those buying at $599 saying they are out of stock and unit not shipping, if you can grab one you better do so quick...just got the new catalog where it is listed at $999.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #109 on: Feb 25, 2019, 07:33 PM »
I was at Cabelas today.  That $599 deal is last years model.  The new model is $999.  This is from the sales associate I was talking to, so it might be true. 

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #110 on: Feb 25, 2019, 10:31 PM »
I was at Cabelas today.  That $599 deal is last years model.  The new model is $999.  This is from the sales associate I was talking to, so it might be true.

There is absolutely no difference in head unit hardware between the $599 one and the $999 one. The $999 is preloaded with the Garmin/Navionics G3 mapping, but you get one free map update with any Garmin chartplotter, so you can get those maps for free on the "old one".
The boat transducers are different. The new one comes bundled with the GT52, while the old one has the CV52. The difference is that the GT52 has a dedicated down imaging crystal, while the CV52 merged the side imaging returns to make the down imaging. I've had both ducers and saw no difference.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #111 on: Feb 26, 2019, 08:46 AM »
What was the price back in December that you could buy the ice bundle for with the 93CV? 

I'm seeing a fair amount of units for sale on facebook marketplace.  Most are around $1600.  Are people selling to upgrade to the livescope units?  Or is the panoptix not all it's cracked up to be?

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Feb 26, 2019, 08:49 AM »
By so many videos I’m seeing on YouTube, people are upgrading to the livescope.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #113 on: Feb 26, 2019, 09:02 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCP34lnTqwI

Skip to the 22 minute mark of this video, and you'll see how this guy rigged up his panoptix to the side of his pontoon boat.  Pretty slick. 

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #114 on: Feb 26, 2019, 09:07 AM »
So there is no doubt there are still deals out there on the head unit....the pricey part really is the livescope transducer. The best deal that folks were actually able to replicate since Black Friday was about $1300. So at best it is still a $2000 deal once you factor in at least one lithium battery (you will need two or one large 20AH one if fishing all day).  Still good deal and totally awesome given that you were looking at more like $3000+ few months ago.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #115 on: Feb 26, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Could you be more specific mboss?  $1300 for what? 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #116 on: Feb 26, 2019, 09:42 AM »
Could you be more specific mboss?  $1300 for what?

Garmin 93SV chartplotter head unit (or equivalent) - Required for both Panoptix or Livescope - Around $600

Panoptix PS22 Transducer - Turns your regular 93SV into Panoptix - Around $800

Panoptix LiveScope System - Turns your regular 93SV into LiveScope - Around $1,500

You can use the head unit with a regular transducer as a standalone graph/locator OR you can add the PS22 to upgrade to Panoptix OR you can add the LiveScope system to upgrade to, well, LiveScope.

LiveScope is Panoptix but Panoptix is not necessarily LiveScope. Do not confuse the two. You do not need the PS22 Panoptix transducer to run LiveScope.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #117 on: Feb 26, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Garmin 93SV chartplotter head unit (or equivalent) - Required for both Panoptix or Livescope - Around $600

Panoptix PS22 Transducer - Turns your regular 93SV into Panoptix - Around $800

Panoptix LiveScope System - Turns your regular 93SV into LiveScope - Around $1,500

You can use the head unit with a regular transducer as a standalone graph/locator OR you can add the PS22 to upgrade to Panoptix OR you can add the LiveScope system to upgrade to, well, LiveScope.

LiveScope is Panoptix but Panoptix is not necessarily LiveScope. Do not confuse the two. You do not need the PS22 Panoptix transducer to run LiveScope.

Thanks for that, esox.  I've got a lead on a garmin ice bundle, 93cv with panoptix.  Come with one 10amp lithium battery.  I can buy this for $1700.  Seems like a decent deal?? 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #118 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:12 AM »
That's in the ball park. I found a 93SV w/open water transducer for $600 and got the PS22 (Panoptix transducer) for just over $800, all to my door. I have an NOS Ice Armor Flasher bag I'm gonna build the ice pack into, I got batteries and since I'll be using the PS22 on the ice I won't need an ice 'ducer. If I decide I need one that'll bust me another $150.

The PS22 gets 12v of power too. As I understand the combo draws quite a bit and lots of guys are going to 20 Ah batteries or using dual 10's. I'll have to see where it takes me. I do have three 10 Ah LiFPO batteries so I'll be fine there.

My plan is for this to do double duty as a bow mount for open water. I do a good amount of off structure fishing for muskies and learned a couple of things about roaming crappies last year so it will be a weapon.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #119 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Thanks for that, esox.  I've got a lead on a garmin ice bundle, 93cv with panoptix.  Come with one 10amp lithium battery.  I can buy this for $1700.  Seems like a decent deal??

I paid 1700 for a 93cv plus ice bundle.  Glen's Army Navy in MN had it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.