Author Topic: Panoptix worth the $$$$?  (Read 28797 times)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Panoptix worth the $$$$?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 04, 2018, 09:17 PM »
Have you actually used yours on the ice yet?  I ask because I have had the pleasure on a few occasions and what you mention is more marketing koolaid from my perspective than actual fact.  We still did the same amount of drilling and searching as normal.  What that unit doesnt do is bring fish to you nor does it make them bite.  Now I'll mention that we used it primarily for lake fishing and the only real obvious benefit as I mentioned before, was seeing the suspended fish move in right below the jig.  Not much warning in the traditional flashers when that happens. 

No I haven’t used it through the ice yet. But i know what it’s capable of and it’s limits, at least open water. I’ve experienced using it in foward mode trolling/fishing on unmapped lakes, which is where I think it’ll be the most useful. I can see the bottom contours and structure anywhere I point it. Making the drilling of holes in new areas much more efficient. As a fish locator (yes I know it doesn’t bring them to you or do the catching) it has let me know what type of structure or depths to be looking for and focusing on. For other times like a basin, yes you’ll still punch a lot of holes, but you can check the area first, then punch it out to “follow” the school. I too would mostly be using it to see the suspended fish while I’m jigging, and using it to better understand their body language so to speak.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #61 on: Dec 04, 2018, 09:22 PM »
Make sure you let us know how it works out. 

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:23 PM »
Bought one of the 93sv plus units at Cabela’s today for my small boat. Just couldn’t pass it up for the price and features.

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 05, 2018, 03:56 AM »
What kind of battery life are you guys getting out of the panoptix with livescope
 And also units without
Fish On'

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:44 AM »
What kind of battery life are you guys getting out of the panoptix with livescope
 And also units without

Spoke with a Garmin person at the St. Paul Ice Fishing Show that has his Livescope rigged with 2 10AH Lithium Dakota batteries.

He had it out on the ice 10 days ago.
  - 2 hours scouting in the Sun with full screen brightness in the cold
  - 15 hours with screen dimmed inside a heated shanty

Total: 17 hours
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:28 AM »
Panoptix vs Livescope on the same Garmin Screen.

Panoptix is great, but Livescope is like an untrasound - see the fish itself!

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Bought one of the 93sv plus units at Cabela’s today for my small boat. Just couldn’t pass it up for the price and features.

I agree, and they're also holding that sale for a while. With stored 20% off gift cards and activejunky cashback it is an amazing deal. The unit is really nice.

Offline Hardcharger07

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The measure of a man is how he carries himself"
« Reply #67 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:49 AM »
Wife wants to replace my LX5 and get us the panoptix. I'm so used to the lx5 I'm just not sure. It's deffiently a different machine. Just wish I could find more on ice videos with it.

You sir, have one heck of a wife!!! :) 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #68 on: Dec 05, 2018, 09:51 AM »
You sir, have one heck of a wife!!! :)

Save the lx5 for backup!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #69 on: Dec 05, 2018, 10:15 AM »
I'm very curious to read/see reviews when guy's actually use LiveScope. That new edition seems like a good upgrade over standard Panoptics.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 05, 2018, 10:42 AM »
I'm very curious to read/see reviews when guy's actually use LiveScope. That new edition seems like a good upgrade over standard Panoptics.

It'll be better in a year or two when you don't need the additional box for it.  @)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 05, 2018, 10:44 AM »
It'll be better in a year or two when you don't need the additional box for it.  @)

I agree with Kayl, but just THINK of all the fish I am going to catch during the next two years AND all the fun I am going to have doing it. 

Patience has not been one of the things I have been accused of. ::)
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline paguy15545

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 05, 2018, 10:48 AM »

and will be under a grand too i imagine 

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 05, 2018, 11:11 AM »
When this came out I was skeptical, seemed like a large amount of gear to carry and really heavy (no vehicles on ice around here). I've been really wanting an lx7. I almost spent the money a couple times on the lx7. I think I'm glad I didn't now, I will be watching videos and reviews though. I'll be saving up and next summer grabbing one of these for the boat and ice.

Anyone have any pics of how they are using it on a boat? Has anyone tried using one on a kayak yet? I have my own armada and being able to swap this back and forth would be awesome.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #74 on: Dec 05, 2018, 11:35 AM »
In two years there will be something different and better.  One can wait for updates and changes forever.  Just miss out on the fun now, is all.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 05, 2018, 01:51 PM »
In two years there will be something different and better.  One can wait for updates and changes forever.  Just miss out on the fun now, is all.

well put.....look at cellphone prices from 1999. They were just as much new as the new ones cost today.....yet they basically only performed calling and messaging at that time.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Dec 05, 2018, 03:34 PM »
When this came out I was skeptical, seemed like a large amount of gear to carry and really heavy (no vehicles on ice around here). I've been really wanting an lx7. I almost spent the money a couple times on the lx7. I think I'm glad I didn't now, I will be watching videos and reviews though. I'll be saving up and next summer grabbing one of these for the boat and ice.

Anyone have any pics of how they are using it on a boat? Has anyone tried using one on a kayak yet? I have my own armada and being able to swap this back and forth would be awesome.

I posted pics earlier in this thread:

I made a pole out of schedule 80 pvc and then used a Ram tough claw, short ram arm, and ram ball.

Here's a picture:

And another:

True, but dropping that livescope box will make a huge difference in weight. :-)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 05, 2018, 03:37 PM »
It is bulky, but I have my early ice prototype ready (just need ice). Will need to make a longer transducer mount when the ice gets thicker that 12”.

I have a 20Ah lithium battery inside the cooler, and I think that the livescope box would probably fit in there too.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:55 PM »
This sounds like exciting technology.  I was going to get a LX7 Lithium for my first fish finder, but maybe should wait a year or two and get one of these when price is maybe less.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:10 PM »
This sounds like exciting technology.  I was going to get a LX7 Lithium for my first fish finder, but maybe should wait a year or two and get one of these when price is maybe less.
If your going to wait, then get something like a lowrance or humminbird ice package for 300 or under, it’ll still work wonderfully to fish with. The biggest benefit of this new tech is the live image side scanning that shows fish.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:49 PM »

You could always get the non-panoptix ice bundle and add the ps22 later. :)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #81 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:57 AM »
You could always get the non-panoptix ice bundle and add the ps22 later. :)

Which would be smart because those LX7's while nice, all eventually end up back at Marcum...

Offline iceangler8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Dec 14, 2018, 10:24 PM »
Thanks that’s the kind of info I have been looking for. I was wondering in down view mode would the marcum or Garmin be better? I understand the side scan searching for fish but all in all I want to know if you only had 1 down the hole to use which would it be.

Hi There, I will always keep a LX6 around with the PanOptix or Livescope.  I find the Marcum display image has the least delay when the lure and the fish line meet up, my rod tip would generally indicate a fish strike.  But on the Humminbird and my HDS units, the fish and the lure has still indicated a space on the graph between both, my rod is already indicating a strike.  There's always a delay on those boat graphs.......  Just imagine trying to play Call of Duty online but on dial-up modem??    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tight Lines ALL!!!
TIGHT LINE ALL!!!

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 15, 2018, 08:59 PM »
I always have a hard time transitioning from ice to open water without the vexilar. This looks interesting for sure, I need a new depth finder for the boat up front. I would imagine this would be similar to ice fishing from the front of your boat.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Dec 15, 2018, 09:09 PM »
I always have a hard time transitioning from ice to open water without the vexilar. This looks interesting for sure, I need a new depth finder for the boat up front. I would imagine this would be similar to ice fishing from the front of your boat.
Yep! Main reason I got it, get year round use out of it.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Dec 17, 2018, 01:23 PM »
Make sure you let us know how it works out.
Update: It worked out just fine for me yesterday. For bottom hugging fish, just have to keep the transducer stationary long enough to see if a spot on the bottom moving/bobbing more than just the rhythmic pulsing that it shows across the whole bottom. I was in 20fow and saw a spot 40ft away In 10fow that the bottom looked like it was moving out of beat from the rest. I paced out the distance, drill one hole, switched to down view and saw fish moving through under me.

I get that fish you see will prob often move from the drilling, but it’ll at least put you in the right area to punch out.

Offline iceangler8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Dec 22, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Ok settle down guys. We don’t a pissing match. I started the thread and just wanted people’s opinions not a fight. I was just curious is people who had it already thought it was worth it or if they regretted it. I know it’s kind of new and definitely expensive. I just wanted some real reviews and not just what Garmin had to say.
Read all the commits and even posted my lengthy one what the PanOptix did for used last year on the ice.
But i'm now real considering the LiveScope Ice Bundle package, in many ways it s truely better that the PM-22 TR ducer on the ice and open water!!!!
TIGHT LINE ALL!!!

Offline GenesCamp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:10 PM »
Searching on whether or not this unit could be applied to open water fishing brought me here.  So many questions though.  I'd be trying to use this out of a kayak.  I'd also be much more interested in the livescope.  Will they eventually make a livescope ice bundle?  If I could get something like that, that I could use for ice fishing, put in a kayak, and haul it to Canada for a fly in trip and pop it into a 12 foot boat, I'd be all in!  Anyone have any videos they can share of using the panoptix ice bundle in a kayak? 

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:25 PM »
Bottom line:  if you own a $40-50,000 bass boat for soft water, why not go for the Panoptix for ice and soft water?

If you don't , you don't need it.

No question it is a game changer; it is all a matter of priorites.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:32 PM »
Searching on whether or not this unit could be applied to open water fishing brought me here.  So many questions though.  I'd be trying to use this out of a kayak.  I'd also be much more interested in the livescope.  Will they eventually make a livescope ice bundle?  If I could get something like that, that I could use for ice fishing, put in a kayak, and haul it to Canada for a fly in trip and pop it into a 12 foot boat, I'd be all in!  Anyone have any videos they can share of using the panoptix ice bundle in a kayak?

If you have a barge of a kayak it would probably work if you could figure out where to put the transducer, but judging only from videos I've seen, it doesn't seem to be portable enough for me.  I like to go simple on the kayak, but some people don't mind the clutter so it might work for you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.