Author Topic: 2014/2015 Lake Louise Thread :)  (Read 12929 times)

Offline armystrong13d

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 2014/2015 Lake Louise Thread :)
« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2014, 01:11 PM »
Are there any lodges or cabins available to stay in around lake Louise in the winter?   Wife and I were thinking about coming up to do some ice fishing.  Thanks in advance
Adam

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Lake Louise lodge will have rooms in feb or March I believe.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:40 AM »
buddy and i got out this weekend. decided to try out our new insulated eskimo and it was a good thing it was insulated.  Temps dropped much lower then expected and hit around the -30 mark.  Early january doesnt allow for much day light but we ended up catching some trout and pout.  Came back to the lodge and seems like everyones truck was froze up and had something hooked up to it.
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:10 PM »
Lake Louise lodge will have rooms in feb or March I believe.
Super bowl weekend the lodge will be open.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2015, 11:53 AM »

late night laker off a rattle reel

Offline JediMasterSalmonSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2015, 11:57 AM »

late night laker off a rattle reel

Great pic, nice fish.

Offline WALLEYES INC.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's twice as nice when there stacked on the ice !
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:42 PM »
That is the coolest laker picture I ever seen!  Congrats

Offline Vohs574

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:14 PM »
Nice fish!!! How is the lake? Pretty think I would imagine. What is the best thing for me to use. This will be my first time trying for lakers through the ice. Any suggestions or do's and donts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:54 PM »
i saw in your other post your thinking of driving out there.   You probably wont make to many friends doing that because the snowmachine trails will get torn up. there are a few places you can walk out to where people catch fish. didnt measure the ice but there was quite a bit. i would thrown on a tube jig and start drilling holes around any points or drop offs

Offline Vohs574

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:42 PM »
 ??? So then I'm guessing there isn't a road around the lake?

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:54 PM »
Three miles down one side.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:55 PM »
??? So then I'm guessing there isn't a road around the lake?

Nope. just a snow machine trail.
There are a couple of places to park (lodge or lot at the end of the road)
If you park in the lot there is a point in walking distance that is decent.

LL Lodge weather cam. http://www.lakelouiselodge.com/weather/index.htm

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Jan 16, 2015, 07:34 PM »
Got my shipment of giant honkin' tube jigs from Canyon Plastics (http://www.canyon-plastics.com/)today.
There are gonna be some sorry lakers this winter.  ;D
The small ones are 8" and the big ones are 10".   @)

Offline Vohs574

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 16, 2015, 07:36 PM »
Nice, looks like your all setup! Good luck!!!

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2015, 01:54 AM »
Those Canadian fish don't eat those!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Jan 17, 2015, 03:25 PM »
Those Canadian fish don't eat those!

Are you saying our Canuck troots are smarter than your hairlipped inbred Alaskan troots?  ;D

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 17, 2015, 08:34 PM »
We been ah edjucatin them the last few years, so they gettin smart...reel smart ;D

Offline Cgfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Just moved to Alaska last summer and dove into all the outdoor sports, I just recently picked up an eskimo shanty, auger, a couple rods and a bucket seat. I tried to borrow some gear from a friend and went to pipping lake... what a disaster! I found this thread and Lake Louise is about 4hrs away; I'm in Valdez. I'm thinking about coming up the first weekend of Feb. What are some good tips? I see "Drifter_016" is using some giant tube jigs, i've always used little jigs, when I lived in Michigan. I have a snow machine and plan on bringing it up to get around, and then stay at the lodge to get a full weekend of fishing in.  Again I'm glad I found this site and Alaska is AWESOME! thanks for any advice.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:09 PM »
Lots of guys using 4"-5" tubes on LL.
They do the trick for sure. There are a bunch of regulars that fish there that I'm sure could help you out.
I know of a few spots that produce in the winter but have never actually been there during ice season. Have only fished it in the fall with friends. ;)

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:53 PM »
The lodge will open on Feb 1st.  I would get a depth sonar to sound your holes before drilling with your auger until you learn the lake.  You can hit bottom in the middle of the lake and have 60 feet of water a hundred feet from shore. 

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:58 PM »
Just got back from the lake after a short 5 day trip, was talking to John at the lodge and he confirmed my suspicions.  Kenaijim fed us a line of BS just to take the heat off himself so he could continue with his tournament.  John told me that this guy used his name and the lodge without his permission to promote his little tourny.  John is not happy and does not condone the tournament and is going to cancel all reservations that pertained to the tourny.  He dosent want his business to be associated with the tournament.  It's bad enough that fish and game wants to do away with ice fishing on louise now we got some guy trying to put together some mass slaughter to make their decision more final.  Like I said I have no problem with tournaments just do it on lakes with stocked fish or invasive fish. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline akwchil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:08 AM »
That is sad news to hear. what does he expect to gain by trying to hold a tournament there without any local support?  Also new news about F&G wanting to shut down ice fishing on the lake? Is that a somewhat new proposal? 

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 22, 2015, 01:01 AM »
I was afraid of that. What a massive D bag.
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 22, 2015, 01:41 AM »
That is sad news to hear. what does he expect to gain by trying to hold a tournament there without any local support?  Also new news about F&G wanting to shut down ice fishing on the lake? Is that a somewhat new proposal?
Fand G just stated that the next course of action would be to shut down the winter fishery.  A typical answer from someone who only cares about salmon.  If it was up to me I would just turn all those lakes into trophy management lakes and make them all catch and release for lakers. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 22, 2015, 01:59 AM »
Fand G just stated that the next course of action would be to shut down the winter fishery.  A typical answer from someone who only cares about salmon.  If it was up to me I would just turn all those lakes into trophy management lakes and make them all catch and release for lakers.

I support that.  No reason to keep lakers any ways.  Pout taste way better

Offline Salmonman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:13 AM »
I second that AKHardwater. All those lakes need to be switched to catch and release for lake trout. There are about 5 times as many people fishing lake louise right now compared to 7 years ago when I first ice fished the lake. No size restrictions and being able to use bait makes it easy for most people to come out and catch a fish to keep and eat.

Offline JediMasterSalmonSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:36 AM »
Just got back from the lake after a short 5 day trip, was talking to John at the lodge and he confirmed my suspicions.  Kenaijim fed us a line of BS just to take the heat off himself so he could continue with his tournament.  John told me that this guy used his name and the lodge without his permission to promote his little tourny.  John is not happy and does not condone the tournament and is going to cancel all reservations that pertained to the tourny.  He dosent want his business to be associated with the tournament.  It's bad enough that fish and game wants to do away with ice fishing on louise now we got some guy trying to put together some mass slaughter to make their decision more final.  Like I said I have no problem with tournaments just do it on lakes with stocked fish or invasive fish.

I heard thru the grapevine about this already... I know a couple of guys participating in the event and from what I was told by them.... the event organizer was leaving it up a majority of the participants to help decide on whether to go to LL or not. Basically asking them what they thought about fishing LL or not and still waiting to make a final decision. Maybe he is lurking and will read this thread? 

Offline akfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:52 AM »
And why do you think there are 5 times as many people out there fishing? Guys like the jedi dont help things at all. He thinks tournaments are a good thing to grow the sport of ice fishing. That growth is apparently causing problems at LL if they are considering shuting it down for winter fishing.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:00 PM »
I second that AKHardwater. All those lakes need to be switched to catch and release for lake trout. There are about 5 times as many people fishing lake louise right now compared to 7 years ago when I first ice fished the lake. No size restrictions and being able to use bait makes it easy for most people to come out and catch a fish to keep and eat.

Lakes will never be "as good as it once was" its the same with everything duck hunting moose hunting, what ever outdoor activity you choose (Back in my day you would have days where you would catch 30 lakers a day or limit in 25 minutes at the palmer hayflats duck hunting 4 weekends straight).  The fact is its inevitable for lakes to be kept secret from everyone. One day someone will talk whether its posting pictures or people overhearing people talk about fishing a new lake and more people will be there.  And with that more regulations will have to be put into affect to compensate for the higher fishing pressure.  I would really like to see it go no bait except for eel pout tip ups and catch and release for lakers. Regarding the more fishing pressure  I have never seen more then 5 groups on that lake at a time but i dont fish it every weekend like some of you guys.  But if you think that lake has alot of pressure you should check out some of the lake trout lakes in northern Minnesota.  They have way more pressure then louise has ever seen and still produce nice lakers.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:30 PM »
And why do you think there are 5 times as many people out there fishing? Guys like the jedi dont help things at all. He thinks tournaments are a good thing to grow the sport of ice fishing. That growth is apparently causing problems at LL if they are considering shuting it down for winter fishing.
Here we go

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.