Author Topic: Ice Update: Soldotna area  (Read 12188 times)

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
Ice Update: Soldotna area
« on: Jan 20, 2012, 10:38 PM »
Well, with all this 25 Below every night here (you'd think you were at Lake Louise!) there definitely has been ZERO folks out on the most popular lakes near town that have been stocked with coho, chinook, and rainbows. Typically there are holes everywhere and lots of sign of successful anglers. Other than a few snowmachine tracks the snow cover is virgin since the last snowfall. The auger was starting to get some cobwebs on it so it was time for a local road trip just to check thickness and activity.
SPORT LAKE: 22 inches, about 12 inches of snow cover.
LONGMERE LAKE: 24 1/2 inches, 11 inches of snow cover.
ARC LAKE: 23 inches, 14 inches of snow cover.

None of the lakes have any fishing activity. Perhaps as we see a few days of warmer weather over the weekend and first of the week there will be some pent up energy released. I know I'm getting restless! But by mid week its suppose to start dropping negative again.
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Update: Soldotna area
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Thanks for the report Pikesticker.
I am stuck on the slope or I would have definitely been out fishing. I don't care how cold it gets it has got to be warmer than the slope in January.
OK so it was only -1* this morning but there has been plenty of cold and wind this year.
I went out last Saturday and it was -23*. We only saw one other group and they didn't stay long I am guessing it was because they didn't have a heated shanty like we did. Of course the fishing wasn't as hot as previous trips to that lake but at -23* we were hesitant to pack up the shack and move to better fishing. ;D
We may need to hook up for a trip this year. I also need to hook up with Groundsluicepete. We have been taking about hooking up for a fishing trip for a few years now. Might be fun to have a forum get together on the Peninsula somewhere.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2012, 10:09 PM »
If it's not too windy or snowy tomorrow, and I can get my old snowgoes started I'm going up to Tusty... or maybe Skilak. I am not interested in targeting planters. I saw a couple from Homer pulling out lakers like crazy last winter on Tusty. That lake freaks me out, but I'm dying to catch some real fish.
See you up the trail.

Offline evilsnipe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Well, it's all over but the cryin'.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2012, 10:56 PM »
Fished Lower Skilak three weekends ago. 3 Lakers, 20-22 inches, pale and skinny like usual for Skilak. 3-5 inches of ice. Fished Dolly Varden last Sat. 5 nicely colored Dollies,  all between 18-20 inches.  18 inches of ice. Kelly last Sun. Quite a few smaller 14-16 inch mixed Dollies and Rainbows. One very nice Bow that self released halfway out of the hole. 20 plus inches of ice. Just got in from fishing upper Skilak half way between the rock island and the boat ramp. Caught 2 Lakers. 1 20 inch. 1 22 inch.  Lost 3. However these fish were fatter than the ones I'm used too on the lower lake. 12 inches of ice. Gonna head to the upper again tomorrow. Had what appeared to be a wolf circle my spot about a half mile off for 45 min an hour before sundown.  I'll be there in one green and one red Q3  tomorrow. Feel free to stop by n say howdy if you fish the upper part of Skilak.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2012, 11:58 PM »
If the weather is decent, I'm there. What were you using?
See you up the trail.

Offline evilsnipe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2012, 01:29 AM »
Today all were caught on black Berkley Gulp 8cm Minnow Grub, medium size white jig head, tipped w a bit o shrimp. The two I landed were 6 feet under the ice in 43 feet of water. The three I Lost were all hooked a foot off the bottom at 42 ft.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2012, 01:04 PM »
Blowing 15 here, might be better or worse on upper Skllak, so not going today. I have made a plan with my s-i-l to camp up there next weekend with my wall tent, and set up a few shelters on the ice to fish.

Snipe, I will purchase some of your Berkleys today and give them a try next weekend. I might try Pikesticker's idea and bring a few pieces of clam along with the usual shrimp and eggs. Let me know how you did today (if you braved the wind).

K-chris, if you read this, that is my plan (subject to weather and other reports), so maybe we'll get our expedition in after all if you're home from the slope..
See you up the trail.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:37 PM »
Blowing 15 here, might be better or worse on upper Skllak, so not going today. I have made a plan with my s-i-l to camp up there next weekend with my wall tent, and set up a few shelters on the ice to fish.

Snipe, I will purchase some of your Berkley's today and give them a try next weekend. I might try Pikesticker's idea and bring a few pieces of clam along with the usual shrimp and eggs. Let me know how you did today (if you braved the wind).

K-chris, if you read this, that is my plan (subject to weather and other reports), so maybe we'll get our expedition in after all if you're home from the slope..
Sorry Steve I am stuck on the slope until the 31st.
Maybe some other time.
Be glad you have such nice weather down there. We have -36* today with a windchill in excess of -50*.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2012, 09:50 PM »
I'll tell you how it was :)
If the weather is good weekend after next, and the Kasilof still has shorefast ice, I'm wanting to go up to Tustumena. Maybe that would be a good expedition.... that is if you don't make fun of my old snowgo.
See you up the trail.

Offline evilsnipe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:27 AM »
Pete, fishing was the same today. Not spectacular. Landed two short but rather chubby Skilak Lakers. Lost five Or six.  Drove my truck around to the left of the boat ramp. Stayed pretty close to shore. Drilled a hole about every hundred yards or so. Ice was a consistent 12 inches. The weather was the highlight of the day. It started out snowy on arrival at 0800. Cleared up as the day progressed. Well above zero. Not a hint of wind up there. No others fishing for as far as I could see. I'm back in Seward working on my ship till next Friday. Gonna go in search of bigger fish next Sat.

Offline love em and leave em

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:31 AM »
evilsnipe, thanks for the info, I will be making a trip  down on thurs if the whether holds up . I will let you know how we do.   :)i   

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:00 PM »
    We got to the lake 2" fresh snow. Boat ramp had to much snow for my truck to get to the lake so we pulled the sled ,I think to Evilsnipes 42' hotspot but it was not hot for us, did not mark any fish or get nibble. Pulled the sled to the island and cut about 30 holes around it , marked 2 fish but my buddy blew it  on the first fish, the second fish was hooked but he lost it so we did not even see a fish thurs found our fish in 16' and 20'. will try to make a trip sunday.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2012, 12:24 AM »
Spoke with a friend Thursday night and he was told by a friend that Hidden Lake is only running about TEN inches of ice on the lake so far due to the heavy snow cover insulating it from the minus temperatures. Old timers fishing up there right now are still parking on the ramp and walking out to fish. No one wants to be the next truck breaking through. I'm sure snowmachines would be OK.
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline evilsnipe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2012, 02:25 AM »
Guys. I'm going to give upper Skilak another shot Saturday and Sunday  mornings. Hidden was on the agenda but half my crew got called back to work on the slope.  With the thin ice reports from there Skilak is sounding better and better. If I could just coax some larger fish up it would be encouraging. I'll keep trying. It's so close to home it's hard to resist. I'll let you know how it goes.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:40 AM »
    I took a look at hidden as we passed  does not look like many people have been out there alot of snow .I wish we could drive on it,  ITS KILLING ME .Both my fishing partners have prom tonight so they wont be up early will see if the son can make it or I dont think I will make it to Skilak will have to settle for Big lake .

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:36 AM »
Planning on being up there on Sunday morning. Son-in-law came up from Homer to cut firewood, so my Saturday is already planned. Should be warmer tomorrow anyway.
See you up the trail.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2012, 01:44 PM »
Yeah, another 27 BELOW ZERO morning here in Soldotna. Glad I didn't choose to go meet up with evilsnipe today when he said he was planning to be there Saturday. The 12K BTU heater wouldn't make a dent in warming the tent.  I'm eyeballing the beginning of the week after Monday when they are forecasting teens and 20's. Nenana Ice Classic tickets go on sale Feb. 1st. Better start thinking JUNE for a river break up date.   :o

Offline evilsnipe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Made it out to the Upper today. Sunny n chilly outside. Roasting inside my Q3. Didn't get out n set up till noon and could only fish till 3ish due to obligations before n after.. Caught one Lost one. Plan on getiing out there and  set up before sunup Sunday morn. Not giving up till something big comes out of there. Ice was 16 inches.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:06 PM »
 Im sure you will beat me there,my son and I will be there 8 or 9 we will be fishing the island lots of unexplored water and I need to find some good drop offs did not drill enough holes on the shore side of the island only found water on that side 10' 12' see ya there.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Made it out to the Upper today. Sunny n chilly outside. Roasting inside my Q3. Didn't get out n set up till noon and could only fish till 3ish due to obligations before n after.. Caught one Lost one. Plan on getiing out there and  set up before sunup Sunday morn. Not giving up till something big comes out of there. Ice was 16 inches.

Geez you are a gluten for punishment. Ha.  Only got up to minus 7 here today. Forecast on the news is for -28°F tonight but that is usually 10° off from the true lows. BTW, what BTU rating heater do you use in your QF3?  I have a QF3 and the similar size Cabelas Hub. At Zero Degrees while shooting some time exposure photos of the last full Moon Eclipse last winter I was running my 12K tank top radiant (square sunflower) on a 20# bottle and from the 3 foot level and below it stayed frosty on the walls. Makes me want to drag my Honda 2K gen set and the 75K space heater out there. But then everyone on the ice would be over there "visiting".

Here is a bit of "insider" info on the rock island. One of my friends had fished that a lot with his uncle when he was just a young kid. One side is pretty deep, one side much shallower. They never caught fish on the shallow side, only the deep side. Lots of "under 20 inch" sizes back in those days. No monsters. About 15, maybe 20 years ago, the Peninsula Clarion had a front page photo of a guy holding up a 20 pound laker taken through the ice at Skilak. Barely fit through his 8" hole. He was fishing where no one else was. Hmmm? With such little laker fishing pressure there must be a very large number of lunkers in that lake. I think when I start fishing the upper campground I am going to walk east to the cliffs and fish the deep water right off the wall. Works pretty good at Hidden so the theory is "why not Skilak too." I've loaded up on more varieties of bait than I could effectively try in a single day so I'm getting very anxious to start experimenting! Commitments on Sunday/Monday but warm temps and an open schedule on Tuesday just might work for me for a sun up to sundown expedition. Or maybe even go up Monday late afternoon and pull an all nighter and bring the cooking gear and lantern and use one hub as the cook shack.  ;D

At least this ain't Fairbanks.....they are predicted to hit -54°F tonight~!  Thanks for the ice thickness update too.

Offline evilsnipe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2012, 02:21 AM »
Pikesticker,

I'm heating with a 10000 btu Mr Heater. I put down a fold up plywood floor then my Q3 on top of that. The floor seems to really make a nice difference. Relatively dry. Been know to hang out just in my polar fleece socks on a long day.

As far as the East side cliffs there near the upper camp ground go. I've been driving my f150 right over there. You cant miss my tracks. They're the only ones on  that part of the lake. Plenty of ice. I fished the 50' depth last Sunday, about 40 feet off the cliffs. Fished the 25' depth, about 15 or so feet off the cliffs today. Guess I'm gonna shoot for the deeper water a little farther out in the morning. Thanks for the info on the big rock. I havn't fished out near it yet but may have to work my way out there if I don't get into them off the cliffs.

I'm holding to my belief that there are more than a few bigguns out there as well. Have done my research with the old timers in the Keys this past summer and the consensus among them is that they are there. The question is just where and at what depth.

Will let you know how it goes out there tomorrow.

Evilsnipe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Well, I made it up there sometime around noon and wen't out to the rock. Le&Le was there in his six-man. He told me he had had no action nor seen anything on his scope. My son and I fished until 3 with narry a tap, though I did find the shrimp gone from my Krokodile after what appeared like a takedown when I wasn't holding the rod. My battery was dead on my fish finder so I don't know if anything was lurking down there. May try again next weekend. Maybe camp if it warms up.
See you up the trail.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2012, 10:37 PM »
 nice meeting you today pete , fishing was great ! catching not so ,fished from 10' to 60' no fish , did any not mark any curious fish. Evilsnipe your our only hope, tonight. hope you had  more luck than us . stopped and looked at hidden looks like i'm going to have to get the vintage 79 johndeere spitfires out . got them out last winter 25 years under a tree change gas and plugs half dozen pulls and they fired up. so when you see me on the green goblens dont laugh. tomarrow big lake , tues  kenai lake it was looking pretty swwet today.

Offline evilsnipe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2012, 02:13 AM »
L&L n Pete,

No good news from me n my crew. First day I've been skunked out there. Had one on in the tent near the cliffs. 20" of water. Was fishing 70' of water in the green shack. One take down there but just 6 feet below the ice. Nothing from down deep. My buddy's son re-conned further east with the sled and auger. Ahh, the energy of an inquisitive 15 year old! He found a couple promising spots.

Driving back to the house we were talking. You'd think after trying and trying I would be thinking of fishing other waters. However all I can think of is going back until I figure out where the big boys are hiding and how to coax them out. So back to Seward and turning wrenches for a week then up even earlier next Sat. to start a couple hours before sun up.

L&L, let me know how it goes on Kenai and Hidden. How thick was the ice on that side of the rock?

Evilsnipe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:10 AM »
Le&Le-
You won't find me laughing at your "green goblins". I love the old machines! I myself have 1 machine from the 80s, and 2 from the 90s. I don't have enough disposable income to buy a new machine which costs as much/more than a small car!

I'm already planning on a trip up there next week. Young son is dying to camp, so may give that a try. Have a good week ya'll.
See you up the trail.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:10 PM »
I've been giving this a lot of thought, and as Gary mentioned (think it was him), "stinky bait" might be in order. It seems that with the murkiness of the water, spreading a large scent field might be the way to call in lakers. What about mashed herring or salmon eggs or a mixture of baits in a tea ball? Perhaps a weighted cheese cloth bag? What do you think.
See you up the trail.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:46 PM »
 Pete , I did try that, did not work sunday. I had salmon eggs, herring, squid, egg shells,the scales of a whole silver salmon, plus belly meat, head fish all copped up fine,shrimp, herring oil, sardine oil,and some pautzke nectar all mixed up and put in a mesh bag  with some lead, on a spool of dacron line, it leaves a cloud and pieces fly all over when you jig it up and down, that wont help if there are no fish  to mark. all three parties  were skunked sunday,but thats lake trout fishing . will try kenai lake tomarrow.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:58 PM »
Evilsnpie, I did not measure the ice, but I would  bet the ice was around 14" around the rock.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:41 AM »
I've been giving this a lot of thought, and as Gary mentioned (think it was him), "stinky bait" might be in order. It seems that with the murkiness of the water, spreading a large scent field might be the way to call in lakers. What about mashed herring or salmon eggs or a mixture of baits in a tea ball? Perhaps a weighted cheese cloth bag? What do you think.
HA HA HA! What a coincidence.  A couple of my buddies went to Kenai Lake today on a laker reconnaissance and he gave me a call around 7'ish this evening. We were discussing their success (lack of) and I was reading him the posts from L&L, GP, and ES for the Skilak area results. Of course this latest pete post wasn't written yet.

Back to the Kenai Lake - They drove up Snug Harbor Road and parked at the Power Plant power line crossing and walked down the slope to the lake. That's the deep/steep side of the lake in that narrows area. They said 18 inches in some spots, 24 inches in other spots. About a dozen holes they worked. Notta bite after two hours. Wayne said it looked like open water on the lake shore at the inlet of Quartz Creek across the way.

They drove back to the outlet and parked by the church? and walked out. Solid 16 inches of ice where they were fishing. 20' to 35' spots. They finally hit a few fish although they were dinkers, 12-14 inch lakers. Two made a meal for one. No whitefish or rainbows in this area that were biting. Used small jig with roe.

So our conversation continues - I'm still pumping my underwater cameras for trying to see what may be going on down there. Seen so many Youtubes of fish swimming by jigs and bait with not a bit of interest. If you know fish are there and more important what species then you can build from there. A flasher or finder marks fish but no ID. I know that upper Kenai is crystal right now and in that shallow outlet the camera ought to be a big help as its all less than 50 feet (my AquaVu limit). Back to Skilak chat and my thoughts passed on about maybe those lunkers are hanging very deep and maybe 100+ feet should be tried. OR maybe they are just feeding/prowling mainly at night.

Then I told him about the "fishing tool" I made up Sunday just for Skilak and Kenai laker fishing to crack the mystery. Told him what my plans were to use it. Then we hung up and BINGO there is your post. HA!

This is the stuff mandarin oranges are sometimes packed in. Very stretchy, small mesh, great for small particle emission. Out in saltwater I always run a chumsack for a scent line but that is with the assistance of a tidal current. Although there is a small current in both lakes due to the river, its probably just enough to move a scent very slowly. My thoughts and plans are to drill a large number of holes in a 50 foot radius around my fishing spot and also in a linear string in line with my location based on the suspected slight current. Take the chum sack and jig it in all the holes maybe every half hour or hour. No pieces big enough to feed anything, just an attractant.

NOW, Le&Le has just posted. YOU BUSTED MY BUBBLE!~!   ;D Oh well, I didn't make that chum sack for nothing. Ha! My method may focus on only one or two scents in the bag that are my "go to" baits. Herring and hooligan minced up. Might shake a little tuna cat food down a hole or two as a separate scent. I really would love to chum with ground up Whitefish so perhaps that might be an approach. Get a whitey or two, got a hand grinder to bring along, and start flavoring with that. Of course catching a whitey might be tough too so I'll bring the cream corn and waxies.

Maybe Le&Le will see the KENAI post info for his benefit. Thought today was Jan. 31st with plans to fish Tuesday 2/1. DOH~! Maybe Wednesday now. Might take the Wheeler for running on Kenai Lake; snow level is not bad and its legal in the Chugach Forest. No snow go here.  I guess Kasilofchris is probably getting home tomorrow so he should be heading out to the lakes too.

Offline evilsnipe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2012, 09:52 AM »
Interesting note. Having ice fished countless times on the lower part of Skilak, near the outlet, last year. This year so far 4 times on the Upper. On the lower lake I caught a pretty equal number of Rainbows, Dollies and little Lakers. After four trips to the upper campground I have only caught or seen Lake trout. Not a hint of any other species. Not sure why this is unless it's due to being so close to the outlet of Skilak into the middle river? Just sitting here trapped on my ship trying to figure out this upper lake in my head.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.