Author Topic: Driving On?  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Icenflies

• IceShanty Rookie
Driving On?
« on: Feb 26, 2017, 11:24 PM »
Does anyone here in this area drive on with their vehicles? Back home we do, and i've seen close to 24" of ice on the few lakes I fish. Just curious if anyone does this/chances it, or if its more of an Albertan thing.

Offline tigrr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Driving On?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2017, 10:48 AM »

1. know the lake.
2. know where the streams and springs are.
16 to 22 inches on this lake, for an old Toyota 4X4.  Remember your insurance is void when you go on the water, any water.
Wishing I was Fishing.

Offline Icenflies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2017, 12:48 PM »
Okay, so I'm not crazy. Might give it a try this weekend. Thanks!

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2017, 06:20 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

1. know the lake.
2. know where the streams and springs are.
16 to 22 inches on this lake, for an old Toyota 4X4.  Remember your insurance is void when you go on the water, any water.

Tigrr, how do you know your insurance is void when you go on the water???   Is that definite or just hear say.  Cause when I got insurance and asked they said I would be covered.  Also in Alberta my dad has been and insurance agent for many years with the Cooperators and he says many policies cover vehicles going through the ice you just have to check with your provider.   
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2017, 09:44 PM »
If you are covered they will generally look after recovery costs as well.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Here's the response I got from ICBC... turns out as I've seen many times people offering advice don't have the correct information.

Dear Mr. Koperski:

Thank you for your March 3, 2017 emails to ICBC Feedback regarding coverage for a vehicle sinking while driving on an ice roadway.

There is no exclusion for driving over a frozen lake.  If a vehicle accidentally sinks through the ice, and the driver did not intend for the vehicle to sink, it would be considered a Collision claim.

The frozen lake surface would be considered the roadway with a body of water underneath. A sinking vehicle would collide with the roadway and the water.

There is the potential for environmental damage to the lake if a vehicle were to sink and leak fluids.  The vehicle’s third party legal liability coverage would respond if a policy holder is held legally liable for environmental damage to the lake.

I hope this information helps.  Thank you for writing.

Natalie Aktas

Customer Relations Advisor

G268953

THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline marapoint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2017, 09:04 AM »
I too was curious as I plan on moving to BC next year.

Thank you Brandon for your effort; and putting a lot of hearsay where it belongs.

bobby
"Is anybody alive out there"
The Boss, Bruce Springsteen

Offline yukon_guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2017, 11:29 PM »
Oh my god, not the facts. It puts an end to guessing, wild speculation, disinformation and many threads.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.