The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: RESULTS IN ON 6" NILS CONVERTIBLE  (Read 1469 times)

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
RESULTS IN ON 6" NILS CONVERTIBLE
« on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:45 PM »
I said I would post results of my new auger here....I LOVE IT !!!!!
Drilled I am going to guess, 5-600 holes this year, some with the battery drill and some by hand. I am totally impressed with the auger and got anywhere from 20 to 40 holes on a battery depending on weather and ice thickness. Very important to keep battery warm. and have a spare just in case.....
I rate it at 10 out of 10 !!!!!!!!
Everyone have a great and safe soft water season and see you back here next fall !!!!!!
JK

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: RESULTS IN ON 6" NILS CONVERTIBLE
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2014, 04:55 AM »
Nils is the sharpest auger out there !

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2014, 07:38 AM »
Nils is the sharpest auger out there !

with out a Doubt!!!!!!! love my nils.. Those blades are so sharp you can shave with them ..
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2014, 07:43 AM »
My only issue with my Nils and the drill was that the auger bit got stripped ....   i obviously didn't tighten the chuck well enough.

I was hoping i could use a file and get the corners sharp enough again??

Otherwise i just have to hand drill .... glad it's so easy  @)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2014, 07:50 AM »
My only issue with my Nils and the drill was that the auger bit got stripped ....   i obviously didn't tighten the chuck well enough.

I was hoping i could use a file and get the corners sharp enough again??

Otherwise i just have to hand drill .... glad it's so easy  @)

A little piece of advice for the future. Last year i opted to get my head sharpened, professionally but when it came back it never cut the same way again, this was the second time i tried this way . I spent about 60.00 to get it sharpened with poor results on a 8 inch head. So this year i spent 90.00 for a brand new head from fishusa, and i could not be happier!!!! My auger cut threw the ice like a hot knife through butter. So if you come to the point where you need to sharpen the head, buy the new head even though you might spend a little more money. i feel once that angle is taken off the old head by sharpening it , it will never cut the same. Good luck
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2014, 07:52 AM »

A little piece of advice for the future. Last year i opted to get my head sharpened, professionally but when it came back it never cut the same way again, this was the second time i tried this way . I spent about 60.00 to get it sharpened with poor results on a 8 inch head. So this year i spent 90.00 for a brand new head from fishusa, and i could not be happier!!!! My auger cut threw the ice like a hot knife through butter. So if you come to the point where you need to sharpen the head, buy the new head even though you might spend a little more money. i feel once that angle is taken off the old head by sharpening it , it will never cut the same. Good luck

Not the blade .... i am taking about the bit where it goes into the drill  .....    i don't have a chuck to tighten it up so i do it by hand.

Offline bow65lb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2014, 08:26 AM »
BW - where did you send your blade for sharpening??? My buddy sent his out (I think to a guy in Minnesota) and I could not believe how well it cut when he got it back, Just wondering if you used the same place. Thanks

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2014, 08:29 AM »
BW - where did you send your blade for sharpening??? My buddy sent his out (I think to a guy in Minnesota) and I could not believe how well it cut when he got it back, Just wondering if you used the same place. Thanks

Frank Deluca is the guys name .....  nothing but great reviews  ;D

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2014, 02:55 PM »

It was a plae in Mass, forgot the name. But for the price of resharpening them, you could pay a little more and get a new head. Thats just my opion. Maybe the guy in mass did not know to resharpen them  ;D

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2014, 06:32 PM »
I bought a new orange nils auger that can be used with a drill. I used it with my echo gas drill and the bolt that goes into the chuck broke off after a few hundred holes. the blades are larger than the auger fins and it left a lot of slush in the hole. I wasn't all that impressed with it. 

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2014, 08:12 PM »
I sent my 8" nils to Frank Deluca. He did a good job. I think he tests them before sending  them back. $ 20 for sharpening plus postage both ways. He prefers that you send them priority mail. The total cost was around $40 I believe his contact info is on the Equipment Board. Look in the Auger section.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2014, 01:21 PM »
As Bow65 said, I sent two of my four blades to Frank. Sent them priority mail on a Saturday, got them back the following Friday. He did an outstanding job on the one I tried. Shipping for two was $26 and change. Sharpening was $40. I plan to send my other two to him soon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.