Author Topic: difficult bite  (Read 1386 times)

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
difficult bite
« on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:54 PM »
I have been on the hunt for Perch.  in December they bite, but then shortly there after they stop it seems.    in December they ere in 50-60 fow, and I actually found some the other day in 30-33 fow.  I see schools of fish go by on the graph which I beleive is perch but they will not bite. 

they will come up to the jig, follow it up it you bring it up then shortly there after leave. 

I ended up getting  6-7 all on minnows.  I must have tied on 15 different jigs from very small all the way up to jigging  rapalas which they were slamming in December. 

any ideas on how to get them to actually hit jigs?   I have been running  2# fireline and I am thinking on trying some 2# mono or fluorocarbon this weekend.
Don

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: difficult bite
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:56 PM »
I should also add, they would not touch a jig tipped with a minnow, only hit when a #6 gold hook was used on the minnows.
Don

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: difficult bite
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:39 PM »
If the Hexigina Limbata (It's a big old mayfly) is common to your area it's larve can be good.  We use the larve, we call them "Wigglers"  They can be very effective.  If you have some native mayflies in your area see if there is any larve available to use.  It is a very natural bait to use.

Hook one or two of them about one third up from the end of the tail.  Other guys swear by perch eyes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.